Shoutbox

crazy idea (_'-') - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: crazy idea (_'-') (/showthread.php?tid=42600)

crazy idea (_'-') by nitrolic on 04-12-2005 at 11:40 AM

some of my friends told me they heard of this....plugin?....where instead of being ur display picture, its your webcam running non stop
like......people c u as soon as someone opens a conv window with u.....
i was just wondering if this is in any true and/or possible
might be useful:^)

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by RaceProUK on 04-12-2005 at 12:13 PM

I seriously doubt this is possible, due to how Messenger is programmed.

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by prtyanml8 on 04-12-2005 at 04:26 PM

can't imagine this to be true either...

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by Tasha on 04-12-2005 at 04:27 PM

I can't imagine this to be true, or a good idea. It would be pretty hard to program, i'd imagine, and the person would have to have their camera on for hours a day. It would probably also become seriously laggy on the servers.

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by Millenium_edition on 04-12-2005 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
It would probably also become seriously laggy on the servers.
if you use the display picture method, yes.

but if you want to code a whole plugin (one that serves as server too), it's going to eat bandwidth on the cammer's side... and ever thought of flaws in the plugin? or privacy?

it's probably not going to be made
RE: crazy idea (_'-') by aNILEator on 04-12-2005 at 06:14 PM

I had this, it wasn't a plugin as such, just a stand alone application, it was using the display picture method and i found no errors with it or lag at all, updated display picture ever 5-X seconds. I think it was called Cam2Pic, and it came with the MSN Powerplus pack 6.2 :P (some dodgy thing i downloaded ages ago with some tools, war tools, plugins and addons in)

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by Stigmata on 04-12-2005 at 06:18 PM

thing is, it will add a new dp for each screenshot of the webcam

i am currently working on a way of getting around this by replacing the dp etc etc...

but i doubt its guna work :(

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by RaceProUK on 04-12-2005 at 06:30 PM

It won't lag much on your machine, but the time it takes to transfer the DP can cause lag at the other end.

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by aNILEator on 04-12-2005 at 06:46 PM

the program managed to get pass that by using a rather dodgy method, it would delete all your dp's each time then load the new one in :S

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by nitrolic on 04-13-2005 at 02:08 AM

really does sound crazy now that u talk about it -.-'
but what about muggins
isnt that similar in a way

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by Chestah on 04-13-2005 at 02:20 AM

It would have to have a central server like the Msgplus Custom emote feature and it would have to bypass the  MSN Servers as it would be impossible to do as just refreshing your display picture.

That also means that everyone wanting to see this video DP would have to have the plugin as well. It would be impossible if you didn't have a central server transferring it to everyone cause imagine if you have 300 contacts and 50 or so have your window open? You'd have to transfer your video to every single one all at the same time.

RE: crazy idea (_'-') by nitrolic on 04-13-2005 at 03:49 PM

o i c
but wouldnt it b possible to like.....create a seperate server or something where ur camera is open......then when ur contacts open a window they're like.....redirected to the server where ur camera is
dunno if its clear