Shoutbox

which linux is best? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: which linux is best? (/showthread.php?tid=42626)

which linux is best? by TheMusicPirate on 04-12-2005 at 04:05 PM

from this site --->>>>>http://linuxiso.org/

can somebody tell me which version of linux is the best, and easy to use.
i just want to download it just to see, because im very interested, but i don't want to download every single type and try.

thanks.

RE: which linux is best? by user27089 on 04-12-2005 at 04:06 PM

Fedora Core is probably the best or something...

Fedora Core 2 is out soon...

it's in the beta stage at the moment.

RE: which linux is best? by Pyroteq on 04-12-2005 at 04:06 PM

i like Red Hat.

RE: which linux is best? by user27089 on 04-12-2005 at 04:07 PM

Personally, I've only ever used Ubuntu, but from reviews, Fedora Core Project seems the best :p.

RE: which linux is best? by TheMusicPirate on 04-12-2005 at 04:09 PM

i quick question, which do i download i was gonna download red hat.

which do i download i386, alpha,sparc?

EDIT: i found out that i need the i386 version.

RE: which linux is best? by mad_onion on 04-12-2005 at 04:31 PM

i like suse but only cause im a noob :)

RE: RE: which linux is best? by TheMusicPirate on 04-12-2005 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion

what neat features are built in?
RE: which linux is best? by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 04:44 PM

I've tried Fedora, SuSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu and Kubuntu and I must say Kubuntu (Hoary) is the best by far. You just gotta love the nice apt-get software updating system which downloads and installs any software and usually ported exclusively to Ubuntu, which ensures compatibility.

Additionally you can choose between Gnome environment (download Ubuntu) and KDE environment (download Kubuntu). But KDE has proved to be more consistent with most software and has better internationalization and design.

You just gotta get used to the not-root default user, because you can't create any root user, that completely protects sensible system data from any attack (if they don't have the password). You are prompted to type in the root password to perform advanced actions like installing software and so on.

RE: which linux is best? by mad_onion on 04-12-2005 at 04:45 PM

go here http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/ i find it by far the easiest version of linux to use good for a starting user. but you might as well wait for 9.3 it looks reallllyyyyy good and it is out very soon. the only choice now is KDE or Gnome :)

RE: which linux is best? by TheMusicPirate on 04-12-2005 at 04:51 PM

thanks everybody for your responses, i'll checkout all the info.

thanks.

RE: which linux is best? by Apatik on 04-12-2005 at 05:12 PM

www.gentoo.org <== if you don't mind compilating (almost) everything.. ^^ a very good way to learn linux imo

RE: which linux is best? by Stigmata on 04-12-2005 at 05:29 PM

i have only used ubuntu :)

and i liked it alot :D

tried to install mandrake.. but mucked up every time :D

RE: which linux is best? by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
www.gentoo.org <== if you don't mind compilating (almost) everything.. ^^ a very good way to learn linux imo

Aye, right. But let's say... be prepared for compiling a KERNEL YOURSELF.

After installing it I couldn't get Gnome to start. I'm a Gn00b, I know :refuck:
RE: which linux is best? by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 10:58 PM

Well, it actually depends on how advanced the target user is. However, the most important distro's are aiming to a global solution to target Linux newbs and advanced users into a same distribution.

Anyway, if you don't want surprises, keep your hands off Gentoo and Debian alike distro's since they don't include an assisted "press-next-to-continue" installation and will cause you headache if you try to install them without knowing a thing about linux. On the other hand there's SuSE which the YaST and others like Fedora and Mandrake which have nice installers (with fancy designs) and some like K/Ubuntu which have a installers with DOS-alike dialogs. Anyway, be pleased to see anything that looks like an installer in a distribution :P

RE: which linux is best? by YottabyteWizard on 04-13-2005 at 06:14 AM

From reviews I think Mandrake, I'm a noob too in Linux, and trying to learn Linux, there are many places that say the one of the easiest and best Linux OS is Mandrake 10, any suggestions? Is this one good or bad?

RE: which linux is best? by segosa on 04-13-2005 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm

You just gotta get used to the not-root default user, because you can't create any root user, that completely protects sensible system data from any attack (if they don't have the password). You are prompted to type in the root password to perform advanced actions like installing software and so on.

I had no problem changing the root password. I don't need to be protected from myself :dodgy:.

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm

Aye, right. But let's say... be prepared for compiling a KERNEL YOURSELF.

That's why Gentoo > * :refuck:
RE: which linux is best? by rav0 on 04-13-2005 at 07:21 AM

I've only had Mandrake myself, and it rocked.

The biggest advantage over windows that it had was one you almost never see; MOUSE CURSOR DURING INSTALL! Comes loaded with heaps of apps. The lots of mini-games were cool. I say were because I got a new HD and I haven't installed it again.

RE: which linux is best? by Apatik on 04-13-2005 at 04:51 PM

I said gentoo was good to learn what's behind the scene :p
I installed it as my first linux distro, and it went quite well..with the handbook next to me :p

and you don't HAVE to compile your kernel, you can start the installation with a pre-compiled kernel and packages but eh, it's losing a part of the magic :p

RE: which linux is best? by Garndell on 04-13-2005 at 05:02 PM

It's probably best to start off with Mandrake or K/Ubuntu before attempting to install Gentoo.  Compiling Gentoo from scratch can teach you more about Linux than using Mandrake will but you have to know how to install it to get the benefits from it.  I am currently compiling drivers for my Wireless Network card to work under Gentoo, it's hard work but at the end you feel top of the world.

This site should help some people that want to try Linux decide what Distro is best for them:

http://eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html

RE: which linux is best? by Mathiasdm on 04-13-2005 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JackSparrow
from this site --->>>>>http://linuxiso.org/

can somebody tell me which version of linux is the best, and easy to use.
i just want to download it just to see, because im very interested, but i don't want to download every single type and try.

thanks.

It depends on your needs.

Try Linux without installing:
-Knoppix
-Mandrake-Live
-Ubuntu-Live
-Vectorlinux live (light computers)
-Damn Small Linux (very light computers)

User-friendly distributions:
-Mandrake
-SuSe
-Ubuntu
-Kubuntu
-Linspire
-Xandros
-Fedora

User-friendly distribution for old computers: VectorLinux.

Less User-friendly distributions (these work fine on old AND new computers):
-Debian Linux
-Slackware
-Gentoo

---

After you've installed a distribution, you probably want to install some new software.
Keep in mind that installing software in Linux is DIFFERENT from installing software in Windows.

The easiest way to install software in Linux is by using a 'package manager'. This is a program that lists thousands of software packages, and lets you install them in just a few seconds (not talking about Gentoo for a second ;-) ).
Examples:
-Ubuntu and Debian use 'apt-get' and the graphical version 'synaptic'
-Mandrake uses URPMI
-SuSe uses YaST
-Gentoo uses Portage

Good luck using Linux!
RE: RE: which linux is best? by Chris.1 on 04-14-2005 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion

There's nothing "nooby" about SuSE. I think it's by far one of the best distributions I've used - I use it on a Dell Poweredge SC420 server in my house to share files / web serving etc.

I do however like RedHat Enterprise - however I've never used any of the GUI's on this.

If you're going to install Linux on a home machine, I would recommend SuSE Linux. It has a very slight learning curve, automatically detected ALL of my hardware (even managed to install on a SATA HD), has a very easy to use interface and is free. SuSE also has Live CD enabling you to test that it works before you install it on your system.