Shoutbox

Linux Capabilities - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Linux Capabilities (/showthread.php?tid=42638)

Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 06:01 PM

I have these doubts about Linux based systems...

- What can Linux Systems do with more efficience then windows?

- What are the good and the bad points of linux?

:) Thanks

RE: Linux Capabilities by RaceProUK on 04-12-2005 at 06:36 PM

The answers are widely variable, depending on context. All I can say is Linux makes the most sense for business and servers, where the speed, stability and security beat Windows hands down, and Windows is better for home users as it is more user-friendly.

However, I recommend Googling for more information ;)

RE: Linux Capabilities by _Humphreys on 04-12-2005 at 06:44 PM

Well Linux is far more customable then Windows. You can mod stuff and make stuff for it. So that's one positive over Windows.

RE: Linux Capabilities by Vilkku on 04-12-2005 at 06:45 PM

Linux:
-Stabillity
-Security
-Free

Windows:
-User friendly
-Runs most of the software available (Linux can't run games and some ohter software)

You can find pretty much info on Google.

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 07:03 PM

Ok thank you all :)..i'm currently downloading Kubuntu..anyway i have 2 other questions..any driver will work with linux?and all linux software will work in any linux mod?

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 07:08 PM

Linux is free to use, to copy, to distribute and to modify. This makes software developers feel engaged in improving existing software which results in much better designed/capable and more secure than most other propietary closed software.

However, Linux can run closed software perfectly. However, the fact of distributing a source code gives users the option to optimize software for the own machine making it severely faster or environmentally friendly.

It's true that many of the advanced options you may find in Windows are not accessible in Linux but by editing struggling files or typing uncomprehensible commands. but this seems to change from time to time and the competition amongst distributions is a heavy, so every group makes great steps in usability and user-friendliness every release they make.

It's a great chance to explore new horizons without being afraid of compatibility. Don't care about it, there's plenty of programs that will open your PDF's and your MSOffice docs, play your DVD's and get you connected to Messenger. Also, I must say 80% of distributions detected my hardware better than Windows (They even found my rare laptop ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 I couldn't seem to find a driver for, in Windows).

End Of Blahblah

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by johny
all linux software will work in any linux mod

This is not always true. You should make sure you download software that's focused on your Visual platform (actually either Gnome or KDE in most cases). Gnome apps will look fairly rough in KDE and vice-versa, will be however usable.

It's also better to choose the most-alike to your distribution package. For example, Ubuntu software will work well on Kubuntu and most likely Debian's, too. At least better than a SuSE- or Mandrake-ported package. (Read above about optimizing)

Other than that, there are several installing methods. But generally, reading the "how to install" or the readme will help you out in installing Red Hat's RPM's in Kubuntu (which is based on Debian).
RE: Linux Capabilities by _Humphreys on 04-12-2005 at 07:09 PM

No not nessacarly, most drivers will not work with Linux I believe.

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 07:32 PM

I need to know about drivers :S...(Kubuntu is at 38 %)...cause if my Network adapter driver won't work, i might just say i wont use it, cause, i need web lol...anyway, i can have installed with windows at the same time right?(Obviously...) lol...

RE: Linux Capabilities by RaceProUK on 04-12-2005 at 07:41 PM

Linux can happily co-exist with Windows on a dual-boot machine, though such a setup should only be attempted if you feel you can do it.
As for drivers, most common hardware have drivers available, often packaged in the distro. Just be wary about the latest hardware, and more exotic devices.

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 08:00 PM

johny, Kubuntu detects your network cards at the beginning of the installation and allows you to set up the Internet configuration (using TCP/IP) but first autodetects it (using DHCP where available). If you install it on a machine that's running Windows, it will create a GRUB Boot menu that will let you choose between Kubuntu and Windows (and any other distros you may install in the future)

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 08:13 PM

:D...anyway is it advisable to install in a partition?

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 08:42 PM

No, you must have 2 special partitions for linux, so you will need to have some free space after windows partition. Once you do have, you can tell the setup to automatically part the free (unallocated) space, to have it installed properly.

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm

No, you must have 2 special partitions for linux, so you will need to have some free space after windows partition. Once you do have, you can tell the setup to automatically part the free (unallocated) space, to have it installed properly.

Now i didnt got you!:S...

I need to create 2 new partitions?!
RE: Linux Capabilities by Chris.1 on 04-12-2005 at 09:51 PM

You'll need one partition for the operating system and one for a swap drive (like virtual memory).

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
and one for a swap drive (like virtual memory)

And how many memory shall i give to that partition?
RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 10:18 PM

Look, leave like 20GB of your HD unallocated (this is there is no partition un that part of the HD). Then start Kubuntu's installation and select the Unallocated part of the disk (using the manual partition setup when asked). Then choose the option to automatically set up partitions in the unallocated space. This will most likely create a 1GB swap partition and a 19GB ext3 format partition. Feel free to use less space if you need it for windows, but you will find yourself installing lots of software, so you'll maybe need at least 10GB in the "working" partition (no the swap one). However, the default installation dowsn't take more than 1GB, iirc.

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-12-2005 at 10:27 PM

Thanks KS :D...dodgy firefox freezed 3 hours ago when it was at 65 %...now i'm downloading again and it's at 55%...I have to clean my HD  a lot...I have lots of crap i don't need...c ya..thank u very much really:)

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-12-2005 at 10:52 PM

Anytime ;)

Actually I just noticed this was a Thread for linux capabilities and not a support thread for installation of Kubuntu :P

If anybode cares, please split the last part to somewhere else :gfdrin:

RE: Linux Capabilities by segosa on 04-13-2005 at 05:42 AM

I installed ubuntu on vmware, it's a very nice distro (Y)

RE: Linux Capabilities by spokes on 04-13-2005 at 06:37 AM

Does anyone know of a linux that will run on 256mb of ram and an intel celeron, i tried to install fedora on it before but it used to take ages to load and then it wud crash

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spokes
Does anyone know of a linux that will run on 256mb of ram and an intel celeron, i tried to install fedora on it before but it used to take ages to load and then it wud crash
I'm not quite sure, but maybe you should try 386 distros (which will work on all intel-compatible processors from 386) instead of 686 ones (which are focused on Athlon's and Pentium4's).
RE: Linux Capabilities by rav0 on 04-13-2005 at 07:59 AM

Mankdake had drivers for all my hardware except my dialup modem, which I found nowhere else either.

Mandrake's installer auto partitioned my disk for me, thouhg if you want to do it yourself (like I did on my second installation), I recomend PowerQuest Partition Magic 8, works a charm. Hmmm . . . looking for that link I discovered that PowerQuest has been bought out by Symantec, it's now Norton PartitionMagic™ 8.0.

For those that don't know, a partition is a formatted section of a disk. A physical disk with more than one partition will appear as seperate drives in Windows, with theire own drive letter.

RE: Linux Capabilities by Hank on 04-13-2005 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
I have these doubts about Linux based systems...

- What can Linux Systems do with more efficience then windows?

- What are the good and the bad points of linux?

:) Thanks

google or browse the Net ..for the cons an pro's.. but if you want advice .. Linux is Security an more updateed technology than windows  like for example thje Linux kernel compared to windows Kernel

quote:

Fedora Core really needs 10Gig HDD depends if your running Games an or lots of Mp3's  256 aint really enough but 512 is , read the recommended install notes of fedora
RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 09:43 AM

quote:
a linux that will run on 256mb of ram
quote:
Originally posted by Demz
needs 10Gig HDD
Hello, talking about different things :P

Btw, 256Mb is ok for any distribution available. It shouldn't slow it down very much.
RE: Linux Capabilities by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 10:25 AM

For me .... linux has more advantages like customisability and speed but it looses out compatibility on stuff like some software and most games.
So thats a total no no for a normal home user who surfs the net, listens to songs, plays games and does some work on the pc. (Normal cause some ppl on the forum r not exactly "normal" users as they do a lot of proggying n stuff. By normal i mean simple basic stuff :P)
For office n all linux is good for home uses ..... windows is the best imo ;)
So it all depends on what context do u mean it :P

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
home user who surfs the net, listens to songs, plays games and does some work on the pc

Linux can surf the net, it has many own Browsers and even Firefox works in Linux, You can listen to music al the way long, there's plenty of mp3 players. You can play many games, since they are started to be ported to linux, however, the people at wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux) are doing a great job to get many games to be played in Linux. Doing some work is possible. OpenOffice.org is just as good as MS Office. And better, it's free.

Actually, as normal user, you shouldn't be afraid of trying Linux, since a basic install does already come with most applications you will need. Additionally, there are easy ways (easier than in Windows, where there's no such feature) to get and install software you need without having to open your browser. ;)
RE: Linux Capabilities by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Linux can surf the net, it has many own Browsers and even Firefox works in Linux, You can listen to music al the way long, there's plenty of mp3 players. You can play many games, since they are started to be ported to linux, however, the people at wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux) are doing a great job to get many games to be played in Linux. Doing some work is possible. OpenOffice.org is just as good as MS Office. And better, it's free.
I know :P I was refering to it as windows is more user compatible .... helpful to new users ;)
RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I know :P I was refering to it as windows is more user compatible .... helpful to new users ;)

Yeah, in some ways it is :P

But Linux Desktoppers are doing great efforts to change this and if you try the newest KDE you will see it's very easy to use and to configure, letting power users tweak anything like windows, styles, behaviours and shortcuts. Well, it's just a question of time, imo, to see home in-the-box PC's with some Linux pre-installed. :o

RE: Linux Capabilities by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 11:36 AM

quote:
PC's with some Linux pre-installed.
:rolleyes:
Windows is becomming more n more costly :dodgy:
Adding so much ..... and becoming costlier ..... plus u need nice specs too for it too run perfectly smoothly ... :P Blah ... that doesnt make a difference cause u cant expect to run xp in 30 mb ram .... 64 is the minimu rite ^o)
RE: Linux Capabilities by RaceProUK on 04-13-2005 at 12:31 PM

quote:
wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux)
WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator
RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 01:15 PM

In short, in short. If I gave an accurate explanation to it no-one would would have understood :P

RE: Linux Capabilities by Hank on 04-13-2005 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Hello, talking about different things

Btw, 256Mb is ok for any distribution available. It shouldn't slow it down very much.

256 is not enough .. depends what Window Manager ur usin ,, a light one Maybe but a heavyone like KDE or Gnome you need more ,
RE: RE: Linux Capabilities by Mathiasdm on 04-13-2005 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
wine (in short: windows emulator for Linux)
WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator

Actually, it IS an emulator. The name is a joke ;-)
RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 05:39 PM

It's a bit more complex than an emulator, from what I've read, but it does the basic tasks of an emulator, that's true.

RE: Linux Capabilities by RaceProUK on 04-13-2005 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mathiasdm
Actually, it IS an emulator. The name is a joke ;-)
It isn't: it's a direct implementation of the Win32 API on Linux.
An emulator usually performs translations between alike functions. WINE goes one step further and implements the Win32 API as if it was part of a Unix system. This allows faster executable speed while not sacrificing compatibility.
RE: Linux Capabilities by Chris.1 on 04-14-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Demz
256 is not enough .. depends what Window Manager ur usin ,, a light one Maybe but a heavyone like KDE or Gnome you need more ,

I'm running SuSE Linux 9.2 fine with 256MB RAM, 2.53GHz Celeron on a Dell Poweredge SC420 Server.
RE: Linux Capabilities by user2319 on 04-14-2005 at 08:29 PM

Ubuntu does indeed rule. It's very user-friendly, and kicks SUSE 9.2's ass (that's my former OS). With the synaptic interface for apt-get it's easy to install a *lot* of stuff, and the "System" menu lets you setup virtually anything graphically. It looks really nice, and the desktop is very clean. Even the trash-bin is in your panel. The people at Canonical and the ubuntu community are very friendly, so that's another pro. I'm sticking with Ubuntu :D

edit: And the screensavers are cool! :D It takes a while to browse through them all and select the ones you like, but then you get real cool screensavers. You can select some, and have these used randomly. SUSE 9.2 could only do random of *all* screensavers, which basically sucked :p

RE: Linux Capabilities by KeyStorm on 04-14-2005 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
Ubuntu does indeed rule. It's very user-friendly, and kicks SUSE 9.2's ass (that's my former OS). With the synaptic interface for apt-get it's easy to install a *lot* of stuff, and the "System" menu lets you setup virtually anything graphically. It looks really nice, and the desktop is very clean. Even the trash-bin is in your panel. The people at Canonical and the ubuntu community are very friendly, so that's another pro. I'm sticking with Ubuntu :D

edit: And the screensavers are cool! :D It takes a while to browse through them all and select the ones you like, but then you get real cool screensavers. You can select some, and have these used randomly. SUSE 9.2 could only do random of *all* screensavers, which basically sucked :p

I have two favourites, the random geometrical 3D figures (ubergeek) and the matrix one, with fading and camera-move :gfdrin:
RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-14-2005 at 09:12 PM

I have a problem...to boot from the cd i downloaded i have to acess the bios to change the boot mode or smthing like that right?my bios has password and i have no idea what it is:S...Is there a way to bypass it?
I have an Asus P4S800

RE: Linux Capabilities by spokes on 04-14-2005 at 09:21 PM

OK, could somebody tell me where to get a basic version of linux for free? i don't want fedora as its too big to download.

I mean basic like windows 95, just so i can learn about linux

RE: Linux Capabilities by RaceProUK on 04-14-2005 at 09:48 PM

www.kernel.org for the Linux kernel IIRC :P

RE: Linux Capabilities by spokes on 04-15-2005 at 03:34 PM

anything like a free distribution?

RE: Linux Capabilities by user2319 on 04-17-2005 at 08:03 PM

Ofcourse he doesn't want the kernel :-/ - not stand-alone anyway

Ubuntu is really nice, but It's not windows95 like, and no small download. You need a distro that installs all packages from the net (so you can select which ones you want, and it'll download thes). Another option: Order an Ubuntu-CD. It's completely free (no ads or something): http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/.

So how's that possible? 2 words: Rich african

RE: Linux Capabilities by saralk on 04-17-2005 at 08:09 PM

I have an old abandoned PC, AMD Duron 750Mhz, 128MB RAM, 18GB HDD, 8MB crappy graphics card (i.e. non).

Would that be able to run Linux?

RE: Linux Capabilities by Jhrono on 04-17-2005 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

I have an old abandoned PC, AMD Duron 750Mhz, 128MB RAM, 18GB HDD, 8MB crappy graphics card (i.e. non).

I ran linux in a 266 Mhz 64 mb ram back in 2000 or 99
RE: Linux Capabilities by user2319 on 04-18-2005 at 02:26 PM

Yes, it will run Linux, but it won't run GNOME or KDE with all nice-super-special-cool effects turned on. You might want a light window-managerDesktop environment (like xfce). Search for a newbie distro with XFCE :P

RE: Linux Capabilities by spokes on 04-18-2005 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
Ubuntu is really nice, but It's not windows95 like, and no small download. You need a distro that installs all packages from the net (so you can select which ones you want, and it'll download thes). Another option: Order an Ubuntu-CD. It's completely free (no ads or something): http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/.

* spokes orders 7 :D
RE: Linux Capabilities by user2319 on 04-19-2005 at 11:24 AM

7?!? What are you going to do with these? :dodgy:

RE: Linux Capabilities by lizard.boy on 04-19-2005 at 09:50 PM

some guy at my school ordered 30 ubuntu discs, and gave them to people. i'm probably ordering a few soon for me and a friend, plus extra.