Shoutbox

Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning] (/showthread.php?tid=42685)

Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning] by -Bogan- on 04-13-2005 at 07:14 AM

For a school project I have to show that Firefox is Better Than IE for buissnes's.

I have been led to believe Firefox is better than IE which I generally believe.
But is it better for a buissnes to use.  If so can you  give me some reasons why.

Thanx to all that can help.

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by -dt- on 04-13-2005 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-
For a school project I have to show that Firefox is Better Than IE for buissnes's.

I have been led to believe Firefox is better than IE which I generally believe.
But is it better for a buissnes to use.  If so can you  give me some reasons why.

Thanx to all that can help.

Yes I belive it is some resons are....

Firefox is easily extentable (a extention can modify nearly every aspect of how firefox works) which means companys can add there own stuff to it like a tax calculator or something.

It supports new methods for building dynamic websites like xpath and such.

less spyware and stuff on the companys computers so a computer tech won't have to come on to fix them (which costs money to hire the guy)

* -dt- will add more as he thinks of them.
RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by KeyStorm on 04-13-2005 at 07:42 AM

Most enterprise extranets are/were written in VB which was run under ActiveX. This is because some years ago there was no other alternative. However, this has proved to be a highly unsecure method to interoperate with the server, so now enterprises are using Java web applications, for heavy needs and PHP for less requiring interoperable applications.

The native compatibility with standards (like XML), makes Firefox a stable software to run and use W3C recommended methods, languages and structures, which are also proved to be secure (otherway they wouldn't develop and recommend them). IE does not completely apply this currently...

And dt is right about extensions: it's an easy way to add special capabilities to Firefox that may well be bussiness oriented (like monitoring some database information or get co-workers messages).

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by emit on 04-13-2005 at 07:50 PM

There is one big difference between Firefox and IE for businesses. If IE messes up a business' infrastructure then they company can just turn around and sue Microsoft, but they don't have that option with Mozilla because Mozilla isn't a public limited company. And remember... the average user in a business isn't completely computer savvy.

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by Tourist on 04-13-2005 at 10:16 PM

Main reasons put simply would be - Faster and safer.

I think 'security' is it's best feature compared to IE

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by Jeronimo on 04-13-2005 at 10:35 PM

Even though I have actively touted Firefox several times on this forum, I have to say that I believe that currently IE is better for corporate businesses than Firefox.

IE has a huge support structure in place, generally office applications are designed with IE in mind, many businesses use ActiveX. In the business world where IE is the browser by default, there is no reason to change it. For a company to try and support Firefox would be quite an upheaval, people would have to be trained to support it, and people would have to be trained to use it.

Surprisingly few people in business are computer "techies" and so Firefox would come as something of a shock to the system for them to use.

While I think support will grow for Firefox, I think it will be a long while before, and even if Microsoft are toppled as the browser of choice for business.

I know you are trying to prove otherwise, but always remember to give a fair critique of both sides of the arguement :)

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by Purity on 04-13-2005 at 10:52 PM

When my school get's new computers next year, im suggesting  them to use Maxthon web browser, it's alot better than firefox IMO.

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by aNILEator on 04-14-2005 at 08:42 AM

Well my school uses IE 4 with a gazillion restricted things on each PC so all you can do is type letters and numbers in WORD or EXCEL so there >_<

My schools computers suck :'(

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by John Anderton on 04-14-2005 at 08:44 AM

Imo ..... Firefox > IE for home, offices and school
* John Anderton runs before a war errupts :dodgy:
* John Anderton feels that we should make 2 closed sticky polls for av's and browsers so that wars dont errupt :P

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by marulu on 04-06-2008 at 03:26 AM

Firefox is better for school, business, anything....

Firefox is definitely better than Internet Explorer and it is for free.
Check out all the advantages Firefox has to offer you and you can even download it for free by clicking on the link/button at the bottom of the page at :
http://my-internet-tips-and-tricks.blogspot.com/2...y-use-firefox.html
You can download it and use Internet Explorer and Firefox side by side till you are sure of yourself.

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by ShawnZ on 04-06-2008 at 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-

why would you need to show that for a school project, since it's wrong? IE is much better for business than firefox -- group policy support, activex, etc.

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by matty on 04-06-2008 at 03:43 AM

I have to disagree with the majority of the users posting in this thread. Firefox really doesn't have a place in the business world. When you look at a business as a whole it is made up of less technical savvy users. Yes there are a few exceptions to this rule (especially when I developed a report and used some small features which were accepted by Internet Explorer but not Firefox). When you look at Firefox and its "extensions" although these are easily added by clicking a link a ZAP installation can be created to push any ActiveX control needed to each PC so that the there are no issues with Internet Explorer and installing these controls.

If Internet Explorer is configured properly there is no reason why it cannot be used in a business sense. People like familiarity they don't necessarily like change. Changing their browser may cause more confusion then it is worth.

I agree 100% with Jeronimo, I am an avid user of Firefox (it is the first application I install after a reinstall of the operating system) however for the case and question at hand Firefox really doesn't belong in the corporate world -with a few exceptions.

Good article to read:
Mozilla Firefox vs. Internet Explorer: Which is Safer?

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by markee on 04-06-2008 at 04:02 AM

3-year old thread bumpage <3

We personally use FF at work and it is really good.  More and more people use it at home so therefore they are used to it already, it works well with bugzilla (we also use that) and because we are cheap we also have thunderbird, all because they are free and people like them.

Just my 2 cents

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by Eddie on 04-06-2008 at 08:50 AM

My school uses Firefox in the hope that no one knows how to use it and get around the schools firewall, boy were they wrong, myspace on nearly every screen ya see around the school since they changed *-)

RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's. by Aardvark on 04-06-2008 at 09:03 AM

We use Firefox and IE. Firefox is set as default so it's got a shortcut up the start menu. Strangely enough though, there are people who go hunting for IE purely because they think it's gone missing (mustn't know what Firefox is I guess...)

RE: Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning] by andrewdodd13 on 04-06-2008 at 12:26 PM

3 years ago I would've been tempted to say IE was much better in the business place since it did have the backing of Microsoft behind it. While in some people's eyes that's a bad thing, it does mean that support is much more readily available - posting on Mozilla's forums can take up to an hour or so for a reply.

As for the safety/security aspect: ActiveX is inheritantly insecure. So much so, that it's the only security aspect that should be a problem if the IT department know what they're doing: Users of business (and educational) computers should not be allowed to install or modify essential files anyway, so the only way viruses could be installed (aside from the local-user's profile) is via system-level-exploits, which  ActiveX was pretty famous for - although it's not so bad these days.

IF the system is secure enough in this sense... there really is hardly any difference between firefox and IE. Although I reckon some long time users will be slightly miffed at not having the menu-bar in IE7/8 - I know a lot of people that were totally confused when Office 2007 came out - both my parents included.

@Aardvark: Well everyone has heard of "The Internet", so Mozilla Firefox doesn't really hint at all that it has anything to do with the Internet, it sounds more like a game or something. :)

RE: Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning] by Adeptus on 04-07-2008 at 02:55 AM

shawnz gave one very good reason (lack of centralized management) of why Firefox is not better in an enterprise environment.  Another is Windows Integrated Authentication, which is extensively used for intranet applications -- and not supported by Firefox on any acceptable level.

Enterprise browser selection is not about perceived "better" security.  Unlike home user setups, there are many other tools in place to make up for that.  It is all about manageability and integration, where IE wins hands down.