Shoutbox

the music thing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: the music thing (/showthread.php?tid=42695)

the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 09:46 AM

not sure what the generic term for this is, but i just wanted to know, on the new msn 7, up the top how you can choose to have the song that you're playing to be showing in your nickname, well it doesn't seem to work, can anyone help please?

maybe there's a setting that i need to change?

ta

Simo

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 09:55 AM

You need to run it with Windows media player and click the personal message and click TURN ON WHAT I'M LISTENING TO

[Image: turnonhelp1hk.jpg]

(8)

RE: the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 09:56 AM

yep done that mate, i've checked all the right boxes, but it still doesn't work, i'm using an up-to-date version of WMP and iTunes

help?

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 09:58 AM

Yep, you need to open WMP and get the MSN Messenger Music Plugin, make sure it's ticked
[Image: msn9dz.jpg]

RE: the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 10:00 AM

it's ticked...

RE: the music thing by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 10:07 AM

I never installed any such plugin :S I guess it must have come with the msg package :)
Can we do the same with winamp ??? i know atm we cant but is there any way to do so ? (Yet)

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 10:10 AM

Yeah nor do i so i think it came with MSN.

From the help files:

Show your contacts what song you are listening to on Microsoft Windows Media Player:
Click next to your personal message, and then click Turn on "What I'm Listening To".
To turn this feature off, repeat step 1.
Notes

The name of the song and artist that you're listening to will appear instead of your personal message (A customized message that appears next to the contact name in the MSN Messenger main window.) .
This feature is compatible only with Microsoft Windows 2000 or later.
If you close Microsoft Windows Media Player, your personal message reappears until the next time you listen to music with Windows Media Player.
If your music information doesn't appear when you play music on the Windows Media Player, check your Windows Media Player plug-ins to make sure that MSN Messenger Plugin is turned on. See Windows Media Player Help for more information.

RE: the music thing by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 10:13 AM

I didnt get that plugin nor did i switch it on :P Still it worked and i got a pop up that the song title has been changed .... (u know what i mean ;))

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I didnt get that plugin nor did i switch it on :P Still it worked and i got a pop up that the song title has been changed .... (u know what i mean ;))

Lol i do? :P hehe yeah are you running Win 2000 or later shaydock?

This may be the problem, as we have explored all the options and it should work providing you are running Win 2000 +

RE: the music thing by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Lol i do?  hehe yeah are you running Win 2000 or later shaydock?

This may be the problem, as we have explored all the options and it should work providing you are running Win 2000 +
Ya thats what i feel too and i was about to say that...... obviously msn mess 7 is nt compatible (windows with nt base) but some features may not be compatible with 9x based windows .....
Like if ur running a nt based windows then u can add transperancy via plus! but u cant do so via 9x based versions of windows :)
RE: the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 10:42 AM

yeah i've got windows XP, have had for the last 3 years or something...

and everything else that you said i have done. but it still doesn't work..

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 10:45 AM

Hm thats really odd. In MSN Main window go to Help.. About

and copy in the version code

and also make sure this is ticked too:   tools>options>personal

[Image: helpagain6gu.jpg]

RE: the music thing by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 11:01 AM

U can do it from winamp too if u want ...... I just did it .... u need a plugin made by TB and u'll be there :)
Its working for me ;)
http://msnblog.stuffplug.com/
Go down to  "Winamp NowPlaying in 7.0.0777?" and download the file given there ..... i have the direct link but nah ... this way ppl may find some useful nice stuff :)

RE: the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 11:03 AM

the version code for msn is "7.0.0777", that what you wanted?

yeah that thing that you said to tick..i've already ticked that, when you tick the thing that says "turn on "what i'm listening to"" it automatically ticks the box in tools->options->(the one that you said).

it is a bit odd..

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 11:05 AM

Yeah thats the latest version. I don't know what could be causing this if all the options are ticked. You could try re-installing MSN Messenger to see if that resolves the problem.

RE: the music thing by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 11:11 AM

I think rather that installing a new copy over the old one ..... u should un install n then make a fresh install but u may loose a few stuff :(
Cause i think i had to reisntall stuff plug due to some reason :/
All my emotes n all r still there tho :D

RE: the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 11:15 AM

yeah, ok well thanks for your concern in my situation anyway, although it's not a HUGE thing, i still appreciate your showing interest to give me some help

thanks fellas

oh..and john anderton? is that nickname from minority report? as in is that where you are incorporating it from?

RE: the music thing by mwe99 on 04-13-2005 at 11:16 AM

Well when some more members come online they may know more information and be able to help you futher. Good luck with it

RE: the music thing by John Anderton on 04-13-2005 at 11:21 AM

Did u try that plugin i said .... did it work ... if not then it means that wmp aint at fault ..... its msn.

quote:
Originally posted by shaydock
i still appreciate your showing interest to give me some help
Thats what we r here for .... Helping ;)

Did it work ???
RE: the music thing by shaydock on 04-13-2005 at 12:33 PM

well...SO FAR the plugin has made it work, i don't know for how long it will, but it seems to work now

do i need to run the plugin everytime i load msn? or will it load automatically

i'll just let you know too..i use iTunes, i don't use WMP, probably because WMP sucks

anyway, cheers again fellas (aussie accent there..hehe)

RE: the music thing by habhoub on 04-14-2005 at 01:38 AM

i have messenger 6.2 and i download that music thing to allow ur contacts to see wat you are listening to.. but it won't work.. do i need to have messenger 7.0 ???

RE: the music thing by *Saint* on 04-14-2005 at 01:40 AM

well if you get MSN 7 im sure it will work

RE: the music thing by blath on 04-15-2005 at 03:25 PM

try reverting from plus! version 3.5 to 3.4... i realised the feature had stopped workin some time over the last few days so i reverted plus! today and it did the trick...

i'm assuming you have the same problem as i did :P 
wouldn't be surprised if microsoft had incorporated it's own set of bugs tho... 8-)

blath

RE: the music thing by Trip on 04-15-2005 at 10:27 PM

I am having the same trouble - the feature will just not work - everything ticked - plugins installed and yet it still will not display what track i have on - can anyone help

RE: the music thing by blath on 04-15-2005 at 10:32 PM

what plus! version do you have?

RE: the music thing by Trip on 04-15-2005 at 10:48 PM

the new version 3.52 is that bad

RE: the music thing by Zephyr on 04-15-2005 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Trip
the new version 3.52 is that bad

No this isn't bad at all. It's the latest version and it's not a BETA. Plus! shouldn't affect the personal message, but you could try running msn without plus! to see if the song appears.

Have you tried unticking the MSN Music plugin in windows media player and then rechecking it?

Personally, if it still won't work after rechecking things, I would just reinstall MSN Messenger.
RE: the music thing by Trip on 04-15-2005 at 11:18 PM

Well I have - I reinstalled Messenger and Media Player and finally it works - how long it will last i do not know

RE: the music thing by Zephyr on 04-15-2005 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Well I have - I reinstalled Messenger and Media Player and finally it works - how long it will last i do not know

Sometimes, when I log on and sign on to MSN, my song doesn't show, but this is easily fixed by unchecking and rechecking the MSN music plugin in windows media player. If the plugin is working now, then you shouldn't have to worry.
RE: the music thing by Lou on 04-15-2005 at 11:24 PM

pm me if there is a plugin or w/e that makes it so that when you go to put your personal message to your music you cna use musicmatch plz

RE: the music thing by Zephyr on 04-15-2005 at 11:31 PM

As of yet, there is no plugin for musicmatch to make the personal message change. The only thing related that works with music match is Song2Nick, but that is just for the nickname, not personal message.

RE: the music thing by -rafy- on 04-16-2005 at 08:42 AM

Any commercial reason why it works with itunes as well? seems a strange thing for MS to do...