Shoutbox

newst versions of msn n plus cant connect - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect (/showthread.php?tid=42766)

newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by redrum1 on 04-14-2005 at 11:59 AM

hi i have the newest versions of messenger and plus! but i cant connect..event log viewer shows events like contacts changing nicknames..does connect once in a blue moon..have tryed reinstalling both programs a few times. was working fine wen i first installed but now i dunno wats rong..i am running winXP..i can sign in using web messenger so its not my passport..i have seen error msgs saying something like cannot start convosation with %nick or sumthing similar but yea just keeps on saying signing in.. please help..thanks

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by RaceProUK on 04-14-2005 at 01:15 PM

I updated my Plus to 3.52 earlier, and Messenger wouldn't sign in after. However, I restarted Messenger, and then it worked without problem. I recommend you try it, just in case.

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Patchou on 04-14-2005 at 05:09 PM

These are mainly coincidences... the Messenger servers seem to be very busy these days, just retry to connect until it works :).

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by redrum1 on 04-15-2005 at 03:50 AM

i just uninstalled plus! and now i can connect without a problem. ne ideas?

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Junkguy on 04-16-2005 at 01:47 AM

I'm having the same problem on both of my computers with different internet connections... It only sometimes signs on properly.  When it's unsuccessfully attempting to sign on, I notice that it does not using any internet bandwidth at all after it has been trying for a few seconds :S

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Patchou on 04-16-2005 at 02:40 AM

For thoseof you who don't seem to be able to connect with Messenger Plus! running, could I know how many contacts you have in your contact list?

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by JcWarp on 04-16-2005 at 03:00 AM

This may be unrelated to everyone's connection issue but I had the same problem - even after reinstalling Messenger and Plus. I also could not shut down my computer properly. In addition to the messenger and plus updates, I had also gotten updates for NIS. After uninstalling/reinstalling NIS, all my problems went away.

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by redrum1 on 04-16-2005 at 08:27 AM

patchou: i have 82 contacts.

wat is 'nis' btw?

note that today i am having trouble connecting even without plus!..i dunno wt*s going on wif dis comp..webmessenger works fine thou..8o|

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Sunshine on 04-16-2005 at 09:23 AM

NIS - Norton Internet Security
I suggest you reinstall/repair MSN 7 aswell.

Also check if you have one of these things (if MSNM won't connect with Plus! but will without Plus!):
- Handwriting plugin - not needed anymore in MSNM 7 (built in), remove handwriting.dll from plugins folder
  (C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\Plugins)
- SPNG 2.2.44 - update to latest version, http://www.stuffplug.com/ See this post.
- Smileycentral, if you use that here are the uninstall intructions.

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Junkguy on 04-17-2005 at 05:47 PM

I have 130 contacts.  I've tried logging in with MsgPlus (with and without plugins loaded), and without MsgPlus.  It couldn't log in in any of those tries...

BTW, I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite.  Also, I have tried reinstalling both MSN and MsgPlus, but it made no difference :S

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by redrum1 on 04-18-2005 at 05:32 AM

hrmm i also have zone labs security suite...but it works sumtimes..:S

RE: RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by BEWARE^^ on 04-18-2005 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Junkguy

BTW, I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite.  Also, I have tried reinstalling both MSN and MsgPlus, but it made no difference :S

did you checked your zoneAlarm security settings  if they allow msn messenger

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-18-2005 at 11:04 PM

I too am having these problems that started when I installed Plus - I have just installed 3.52 and still get problems.

I have Zone Alarm, although I do not think this is the issue.

I have worked out that when it looks like it is signing in for ages, if i select an option on the "Always sign in as: " drop down list, MSN appears ot sign in - although no contacts are shown. Although I cannot see my contacts - they can still send me messages and I can reply. From here I cannot sign in or out - I must exit the program.

When I sign in using Windows Messenger I have no problems.

Also, I have noticed that if I sign in to Windows Messenger, and then sign in to MSN 7.. at precisely the point when Windows Messenger tells me I'm signed in somewhere else, if i change the "Always sign in: " status to Online, then MSN 7 signs in successfully - showing me the contact list.

For thos wishing to try this method - it takes  few attempts to get it right ;)

Hope this helps Patchou,

Good luck

Andy

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Lodie on 04-19-2005 at 07:18 AM

I found the following bug/problem in Messenger Plus! I run msn 7.0.0777 & Messenger Plus 3.52.130. I first updated msn itself from version 6.2 to version 7.0.0777 then I installed the newest version of Messenger Plus (3.52.130). The first time I signed in there were no problems! But when I tried to sign in the second time messenger keeps tryin to connect but my friend already see me online! When I click on sign in as and change to some of the options messenger stops connecting and changes to an empty contactlist! My friends in my contactlist can talk to me and I can talk to them but the list itself stays empty.
When I uninstall messenger plus I can sign in again with msn 7.0.0777!
So I reinstalled messenger plus and checked my zone alarm settings. The combination of msn 7.0.0777 and messenger plus 3.52.130 will only connect when msgplus.exe has all the rights (Access & Server) It even won’t connect if it has just the first three right (Access:Local & Internet Server:Local) as msn has them!

So the same here as by andydrizen!! So I would ask him to test if he can connect if he has the right zonealarm settings as I have. Maybe the we have solved the problem!

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Rocket17 on 04-19-2005 at 08:39 AM

Ok ive just seen this thread and i am having this problem here at work, when i installed the newest version of messenger plus yesterday as it asked for the auto update thing i could no longer connect to msn messenger, however when i stop the messenger plus service from task manager i can connect to messenger?

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-19-2005 at 09:04 AM

Well I changed my Zone Alarm settings like you said - no difference. I even shut it down to no avail.

The only thing i have got to work is uninstalling MSN 7 and Plus, and then reinstalling MSN 6.2

RE: RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Lodie on 04-19-2005 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andydrizen
Well I changed my Zone Alarm settings like you said - no difference. I even shut it down to no avail.

The only thing i have got to work is uninstalling MSN 7 and Plus, and then reinstalling MSN 6.2

that's too bad :( thought I found somewhat of a solution to the problem in general but it only seems to have worked for my problem!! MSN 7.0.0777 is running fine with Messenger Plus 3.52.130 and the changed ZoneAlarm settings!

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Patchou on 04-19-2005 at 02:58 PM

Are you using any other internet security program such as Norton Security? I'm searching for the problem but so far, no luck. Plus! is not supposed to be able to create that kind of problem. Do you have any other plugin like Messenger Discovery installed?

Note that Microsoft is currently working on an issue related to "empty contact list" in Messenger 7, your problems may simply be caused by that bug. So far, it seems that Messenger Plus! is not the cause of the bug but it can make it more visible (probably becaue Plus! slows down Messenger a little so if it's a timing issue, then it's normal it's more visible with Plus!). I'll keep you posted when I'll have more information about that.

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-19-2005 at 03:16 PM

I'm not using any other patches - not even Plus! and it still doesnt work - it's like Plus has overwritten something important...

Not using norton either.

I emailed Microsoft a while ago, they said they couldnt put a time on how long it owuld take to resolve the issue.... I didnt tell them I was using Plus!

On my other computer I just installed MSN 7 works a treat

[EDIT] Just installed plus. it's buggered.

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by redrum1 on 04-20-2005 at 05:53 AM

does nebody have a link to msnm 6.2? vers.7 just dont work..the link at mess.be sends me to the msnm7 download page..

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by matty on 04-20-2005 at 06:18 AM

I am sorry to be rude redrum1 but a simple search in Google would have been sefice.

MSN Messenger 6.2

My Google Search Link Third Link

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-20-2005 at 12:15 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...FA1&displaylang=en

Thats the official link :)

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Lodie on 04-20-2005 at 02:24 PM

Unfortunate ZoneAlarm also wasn’t my real problem! Today when I tried to connect with MSN & Messenger Plus I got the same problem as andydrizen! I can’t connect anymore with the combination of MSN 7.0.0777 & Messenger Plus 3.52.130! But after uninstalling Messenger Plus I can’t connect with msn 7.0.0777 at all!!

So I’m also stuck to msn 6.2 & Messenger Plus just like andydrizen hope that somebody finds a solution for this issue as soon as possible!

Lodie

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-20-2005 at 02:25 PM

You can just call me Andy if you like Lodie ;)

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by matty on 04-20-2005 at 03:05 PM

Please reinstall MSN Messenger 7 and check this for me.

Open MSN Messenger > Tools > Options > Connections > Advanced Settings

The Servers/User IDs should be blank. TCP should have a checkmark beside it.

When you click on Test Connection what does it say?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=445157]

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-20-2005 at 03:14 PM

Well, in the Connection tab, the "Test Connection" button yields the following:

System Settings
We found some system settings that might be preventing a connection to Messenger.

View System Settings:

Setting Proposed -  Change Domain Authority to Clear and change
Domain Authority Configuration Version to Clear.

Messenger suggested a repair job - i clicked on it and got i "successfully repaired" message, i then ran MSN and got the same problem.

When i re ran the test i got the same outcome.

When i Test TCP connection, i get the same message you do in the previously attached image.

now to uninstall it again *sigh*

RE: RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Lodie on 04-20-2005 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Please reinstall MSN Messenger 7 and check this for me.

Open MSN Messenger > Tools > Options > Connections > Advanced Settings

When you click on Test Connection what does it say?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=445157]

Nice! Just found that out myself! All proxies/socks were selected so I deselected them! (I never turned them on myself:S)
I also cleared all my SSL-certifcates! So I don't know for sure what the solution to my problem was! But everything works fine right now! I think it was the proxies & Socks option!!

Lodie

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by andydrizen on 04-20-2005 at 04:34 PM

Oh yeh! Mine is fixed too!! :D:D

uncheck all but TCP in advanced connection...... genius.

Does this make us testers, Lodie ^o)

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by matty on 04-20-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Blah it was supposed to say that TCP should only be checked. Glad it worked out for you guys. Enjoy MSN Messenger 7 and the powerful features of Messenger Plus!
RE: RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Lodie on 04-21-2005 at 02:43 PM

quote:
quote:
Blah it was supposed to say that TCP should only be checked. Glad it worked out for you guys. Enjoy MSN Messenger 7 and the powerful features of Messenger Plus!

It's kind of weird but when the TCP option is flagged MSN takes allot more time to connect (or doesn't at all). When I test the TCP Connection it says that it should work fine (it doesn't). When the TCP option is unflagged it connect fine!

So I'm not sure if it's really the TCP option that causes MSN not to connect or that it's a server-side problem......

RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by mummycool1 on 04-21-2005 at 09:28 PM

Thank you so much Matty and Lodie, we've had probs connecting via web cam since I installed the newest plus yesterday. I remembered reading this post earlier and just changed said settings. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are great thanks again x Mc

RE: RE: newst versions of msn n plus cant connect by Lodie on 04-23-2005 at 10:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mummycool1
Thank you so much Matty and Lodie, we've had probs connecting via web cam since I installed the newest plus yesterday. I remembered reading this post earlier and just changed said settings. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are great thanks again x Mc

Great to see that we helped somebody by solving our own problems!;)