Shoutbox

Firefox help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firefox help (/showthread.php?tid=42851)

Firefox help by steVenB on 04-15-2005 at 11:23 AM

Last night I installed the critical updates for windows but now firefox is running painfully slow even with the patcher. Any help would be great. Im kinda forced into using IE right now...thats how slow it is.
Thanks

RE: Firefox help by -dt- on 04-15-2005 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steVenB
Last night I installed the critical updates for windows but now firefox is running painfully slow even with the patcher. Any help would be great. Im kinda forced into using IE right now...thats how slow it is.
Thanks
the same thing happened to me at first I just rebooted and that didnt work so I patched my TCPIP.SYS with http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads
and it made my firefox work like before I applied that crital update.
RE: Firefox help by steVenB on 04-15-2005 at 12:13 PM

What does that patch do? Will it mess up anything on my system?

RE: Firefox help by -dt- on 04-15-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steVenB
What does that patch do? Will it mess up anything on my system?

it shouldnt , does IE run full speed for you? maby try creating a new profile with firefox (start firefox with the commandline -profilemanager)
umm if that dosnt work try asking on the mozillazine forums
then after that resort to that patch , but that fixed my problem after I installed the latest crit update.
RE: Firefox help by .Roy on 04-15-2005 at 02:34 PM

you can always try reinstalling FireFox

and btw which patch are you talking about steven?

RE: Firefox help by steVenB on 04-15-2005 at 02:42 PM

I tried reinstalling it and the creating a new profile. The patch that I am using is from this thread.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=35083

I only installed the patch after I noticed how slow Firefox was running. IE is running like normal so Im a bit lost. I think Im going to give that patch a try -dt-

Ok so that patch didnt fix the problem. I did a system restore to the day before the crit update came up. Im still having the same problem. Firefox is taking up nearly 100% CPU usage when I start it up or visit a new site. :S
RE: Firefox help by .Roy on 04-15-2005 at 03:25 PM

try uninstalling it and then deleting its folder in the program files folder.

then install it again

RE: Firefox help by -dt- on 04-15-2005 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
try uninstalling it and then deleting its folder in the program files folder.

then install it again

hobbes that does nothing..... all the user setting and stuff are in your user profile which is in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\randomnumbers

so creating a new profile normally fixes issues because it stores extentions etc..

and I'm not sure what the problem is now did you try asking on those forums I suggested?
RE: Firefox help by steVenB on 04-15-2005 at 05:59 PM

Yeah I posted my question there. Some one else had the same problem too but so far no one has came up with a solution.

RE: Firefox help by steVenB on 04-16-2005 at 01:56 AM

The problem in the end was Panda Software Anti Virus. The firewall was killing Firefox. Even after I enabled Firefox in the firewall settings, it continued to run slowly. So I just decided to get rid of Panda.