Shoutbox

What do you all make of this email... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What do you all make of this email... (/showthread.php?tid=42938)

What do you all make of this email... by Tommy on 04-16-2005 at 12:00 PM

Well i got this from one of my friends (with full headers):

code:

MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Originating-IP: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xx]
X-Originating-Email: [xxx@hotmail.com]
X-Sender: xxx@hotmail.com
Received: from 217.162.202.61 by by15fd.bay15.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:43:28 GMT

[...]

Unser hotmailsystem beginnt voll zu sein.  Wir haben das
Bedürfnis,
dass
Sie dies wenigstens an 20 Personen senden.  Ich weiß, dass dies
eine große
Zahl ist, aber wir müssen aufdecken, wer wirklich ihr
Konto/Passwort
benutzt. Wenn Sie dies nicht wenigstens an 10 Mitglieder
von Hotmail
senden, werden wir Ihr Konto löschen. Nehmen Sie diese
Aufforderung nicht
so einfach hin, denn einige Konten sind bereits gelöscht
worden !

Ihr Hotmail-Team

Ruffly Translated it says:
Our Hotmail System is becomming full. We have the alowence that you must send this email to 20 People. I know it is a big number but we need to find out if you (and others) are using your account. If you do not send it to at least 10 people then we will delete your account... Do not take this email as a Joke, some accounts have been deleted already....

1. I doubt that this is true because. a) How the fuck (sorry for the language) will they know if you have sent it to 20 other hotmail users...  b) They have a few mistakes in the email...  c) How can hotmail be "full"?!?

2. I signed up for an English account...  (well the email is from someone who speaks german...

3. Wouldn't Hotmail send it to each and every single user? I mean they already check to see if we are using Outlook too much.

Well what do you all think?

Joke or Real

Thnx for your help in advanced... 8-|

(Edited out email addresses)
RE: What do you all make of this email... by TGG on 04-16-2005 at 12:05 PM

I think this email is fake, as you said, if hotmail became 'full' then they would send an email out to each user individually, and they would not threaten you into sending it out to other people. You should inform hotmail of this, as it may be dangerous.

RE: What do you all make of this email... by Tommy on 04-16-2005 at 12:09 PM

most likely a stupid question, but how can i do this?

RE: What do you all make of this email... by Tochjo on 04-16-2005 at 12:12 PM

All official Hotmail emails have the [Image: i.1EFA14.gif] icon. If an email does NOT have this icon, it's a fake.

Also note that Hotmail never forwards emails (so there's never FW: or something like that in the subject line) and note that Hotmail never sends chain letters :)

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy
how can i do this?
Hotmail is aware of these chain letters - there's an article about it on some MSN/Hotmail related website - but there's not much you can do. Best is to ignore them, really. If you do wish to contact Hotmail, then use the form at this page :)
RE: What do you all make of this email... by Tommy on 04-16-2005 at 12:26 PM

ok then it is defently a joke.. (should have known in the first place)

RE: What do you all make of this email... by x-Stalker-x on 04-16-2005 at 12:34 PM

.... 1 more thing USE GMAIL and you wont get that problem because they filter out all taht crap

RE: What do you all make of this email... by Wabz on 04-16-2005 at 05:28 PM

I'd advise you too delete it and any others of a similar nature.  There as old as hotmail to be honest.

RE: What do you all make of this email... by Fredzz on 04-16-2005 at 06:35 PM

MSN takes its customers and its products very seriously. If they ever need to contact the member base, theyll do so directly; unlike this recent email hoax, which relies on customers forwarding the mail.

RE: What do you all make of this email... by -Bogan- on 04-18-2005 at 07:46 AM

This so stupid obviously a some stupid joke.

By the way why aren't you using Gmail Tommy everyone has plenty of invites to give you.

RE: What do you all make of this email... by uberdosis on 04-18-2005 at 09:23 AM

First day on the interweb hey ?

RE: What do you all make of this email... by BEWARE^^ on 04-18-2005 at 09:31 AM

well i think this is one hell of a joke and i think that this person must be banned from hotmail.com