Shoutbox

pls help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: pls help (/showthread.php?tid=42951)

pls help by babybexy on 04-16-2005 at 04:16 PM

2 things... firstly ive already posted this is that i cannot get msg plus its never working any link i click goes straight to this page is unavailable!! is it down??

secondly whenever i log on it says that theres a new version of msn and to log on as a local administrator??! what !!??please help

RE: pls help by Zephyr on 04-16-2005 at 04:21 PM

The page is not down. You should check your hosts file to see if msgplus.net is being blocked.
The hosts file is in this directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Also, what MSN are you using at the moment? The latest is MSN 7.0.0777 which was released just over a week ago.

RE: pls help by babybexy on 04-16-2005 at 04:23 PM

as far as im aware im on msn 7 why is it telling me to log in as a local administratr? im confused lol where do i search to see is msg plus is blocked? sorry am not good with computers :$

RE: pls help by Zephyr on 04-16-2005 at 04:32 PM

On the MSN main window, go to help->about MSN Messenger. THe version will be 7 but the build should be 7.0.0777. To install programs, you need to have a administrator account on XP. If yours is limited, you cannot install the new MSN on your user, but will have to switch to an administrator account.

To check your hosts, open up My computer and paste this in the address bar.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

If there is a file in there called hosts, right click on it and open with, then choose notepad.

There will be a list of numbers and websites. See if shoutbox.menthix.net is there. If it is, delete this text and the number next to it. Then save and close the window. Then try going to msgplus.net again.

RE: pls help by Joa on 04-16-2005 at 04:37 PM

follow monster.rat's directions.

but if it is still not working and you can't download plus in this thread Patchou suggests using this mirror: http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/62787.shtml

RE: pls help by babybexy on 04-16-2005 at 04:45 PM

its saying its unavailable for the search!! im on windows 2000 if thats any help?

RE: pls help by Zephyr on 04-16-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by babybexy
its saying its unavailable for the search!! im on windows 2000 if thats any help?

Sorry, what are you referring to by the search?
RE: pls help by babybexy on 04-16-2005 at 04:53 PM

host files when i paste that address into the window you told me to it says this page is unavailable an all tht stuff

RE: pls help by Zephyr on 04-16-2005 at 04:57 PM

You need to log off your user and log on to an administrator account to change these settings. If you want to have an admonistrator account as well, follow these instructions.

Log on to admonostrator account, start, click on picture next to name of user, click home at top left, click "change an account", click on your account, click "change the account type", then you can choose between limited and computer administrator. Choose computer administrator. Then you will be able to install things and change the hosts on your user account.

RE: pls help by babybexy on 04-16-2005 at 05:08 PM

still not working even though i am now admin, urrr its so frustrating!!

RE: pls help by GroteSmurf on 04-16-2005 at 05:34 PM

On Windows 2000 the location of your hosts file will probably be:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

Hope this helps.

RE: pls help by Zephyr on 04-16-2005 at 05:34 PM

Instead of pasting what I said paste this into the address bar.

c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\

forgot you were using windows 2000

GroteSmurf got there first, just.