Shoutbox

[self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes (/showthread.php?tid=42986)

[self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by WDZ on 04-17-2005 at 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Hmm, looks like people are posting for the sake of posting to get 100 posts to be able to vote :mipdodgy:
I hope they're not... that would suck... :-/

What else is there to determine whether or not a person should be able to vote, other than an admin saying so? Maybe combine the post requirement with a "time registered" requirement? Like 2 months or so? :^)

I wouldn't want to use the time requirement alone, because then people who haven't contributed anything at all to the community would be able to give votes if they're willing to wait.

In theory, the post limit should work because the mods will delete any useless or spammy posts. I guess that people are now just making low-quality posts that still abide by the rules. :-/
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by *Saint* on 04-17-2005 at 12:07 AM

we could have a kind of review board who only job it to sort through the new members and say if we think they can vote.

kind of like the parole board who say if prisoners can go free or not but thats alot of work :S

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by albert on 04-17-2005 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe combine the post requirement with a "time registered" requirement? Like 2 months or so? :^)

Asbolutlly... I think this would solve the issue..!

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint
we could have a kind of review board who only job it to sort through the new members and say if we think they can vote.

kind of like the parole board who say if prisoners can go free or not but thats alot of work

ye well.. i dunno.. how can you know if you deserve to let ppl vote or not.. in 2 k, how will we choose the ppl?
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by *Saint* on 04-17-2005 at 12:12 AM

the same way an admin would review some of their posts. anyway im not creative and that the best i can think of.

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Ash_ on 04-17-2005 at 12:16 AM

maybe you have to have atleast 1+ rep before  you can vote.

that would make them work for their +1, eg be as helpful as they could.

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Zephyr on 04-17-2005 at 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*

kind of like the parole board who say if prisoners can go free or not but thats alot of work

I can see how this could solve the problem, but it is not the most pracitcal idea, which would lead to all kinds of arguments in the forums over whether certain people should be allowed to vote.

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_

that would make them work for their +1, eg be as helpful as they could.

Good idea, Ash. Only problem to this would be reputations given to these new members for reasons other than being helpful.
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by *Saint* on 04-17-2005 at 12:25 AM

but if we use ashes was then we will have hundreds of threads for people asking for +1s so they can vote
it will be kind of like now except instead of posting to get 100 posts they will be posting to get +1

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Zephyr on 04-17-2005 at 12:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
but if we use ashes was then we will have hundreds of threads for people asking for +1s so they can vote
it will be kind of like now except instead of posting to get 100 posts they will be posting to get +1

If the +1 rep thing was added, it would be as well as 100 posts.

If they start asking for +1 reps just so that they can vote, we will know what they are really here for and admins could take action such as a banning. Also, people will start giving negatives to these people who ask for positive reps.
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by *Saint* on 04-17-2005 at 12:32 AM

still though for my first +1  i was at about 125 posts and even then i pretty much asked for a +1 :$

quote:
Originally posted by toddler
toddler (24) - Last updated on 01-30-2005 at 06:10 PM
Positive: moanin can sometimes get u places !! (or a rep) :P

so its easy to forget about people who dont post very often
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Chrono on 04-17-2005 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe combine the post requirement with a "time registered" requirement? Like 2 months or so?
make it 2 years and it will work fine :refuck:
Seriously, its a good idea :P
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by andrey on 04-17-2005 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I guess that people are now just making low-quality posts that still abide by the rules. :-/
then it's time for a new rule:

[*] Content: Posts should contain accurate and complete on-topic information. They must help solving the given problem and/or contribute to the topic. Posts which don't match these criteria may get deleted. [Image: new_thingy.jpg]

What do you think ?

Edit: it's partly covered in the spam section...i think it would be good if it was a bit more clear...
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by WDZ on 04-17-2005 at 03:46 AM

I'd really need to think about that new rule... I don't want the rules to be too severe/restrictive... lots of good posts would get reported.

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Ahmad on 04-17-2005 at 05:45 AM

Uhh... I think you guys are taking this a bit too far, the 100 post requirement is fine...

spammy/dodgy posts will be deleted anyway....... and if there post is "low-quality" but still within the rules then good on em

as soon as they get to 100 and rep a couple of ppl they'll forget about it... man this is only a forum let's not get too up-tight

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by WDZ on 04-17-2005 at 05:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
and if there post is "low-quality" but still within the rules then good on em
:|

There's nothing good about a low-quality post... :-/
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Ahmad on 04-17-2005 at 05:49 AM

then delete it, problem solved!! :)

edit: some people aren't as "smart" or as knowledgable as the rest of the ppl, but they still try and contribute in their own way, to other people it might look small but they're trying their best....... and if you think its a bit fishy and they're just posting low-quality stuff to raise their post count, just delete it

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by John Anderton on 04-17-2005 at 08:52 AM

quote:
But some ppl with 3 posts have a rep of +4 :undecided: I have seen it :/

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by haydos on 04-17-2005 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
But some ppl with 3 posts have a rep of +4 :undecided: I have seen it :/

Well maybe you shouldnt be able to receive a +ve rep until you have reached a certain number of posts. Maybe ~50?
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by John Anderton on 04-17-2005 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by inc_haydn
Well maybe you shouldnt be able to receive a +ve rep until you have reached a certain number of posts. Maybe ~50?
That was suggested but what if u r really good or something :) I dont remember the reason but someone has already said this and the idea was declined :)
Imo .... its an endless loop .... the current rule is really good for normal conditions ..... but ppl r bypassing it by spamming so ..... what ever decission is made has to be tough ...... mabbe increase the post count reqd to a much higher no. but then the spamming will increase further :dodgy:
Mabbe we should disable post counts hence forth in gcc as well ....
* John Anderton sees ppl killing him
U gotta understand that the solution is gonna be tough .... a real tough decission .... it will alwayz be unfair in some aspects but we gotta do something to something :/
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by saralk on 04-17-2005 at 09:45 AM

I suggested it and it was shot down because people can come onto the board and start spamming loads, and we can't vote for them.

I don't agree with the requirement to have a +1 rep because people can create multi accounts and rep them all in order to boost their reputation.

Maybe an elite/smod/admin has to give someone permission to vote.

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Millenium_edition on 04-17-2005 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Maybe an elite/smod/admin has to give someone permission to vote.
yeah, there should be a button in your rep, once you have 100 posts, to submit a demand to be able to give reputation votes. admins/smods/whatever should then decide wether or not you're allowed to do that.
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by Pipish on 04-17-2005 at 09:49 AM

hmm tbh the 100 post thing is crap like the posts could just be like

"yeah i reckon "

or

"lol"

i think a time thing would be the best say 3 months and a certain amount of time actualy being on the forums

chrono nothing against the two year thing :P i'm not at loss thre

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by John Anderton on 04-17-2005 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
chrono nothing against the two year thing i'm not at loss thre
:lol:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipish

hmm tbh the 100 post thing is crap like the posts could just be like

"yeah i reckon "

or

"lol"
*cough* Mods *cough*
* John Anderton points at this page

Meh .... i dont support 3 months ... 2 months is ok but it has to be a combination of both ... say 200 posts n 2 months or someone will register ..... not show up for a few months then start voting :dodgy:

Cant we disable some more post counters ???
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by John Anderton on 04-17-2005 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pawz
i say this, leave things the way they are
Dont you think that ppl are making low grade posts just to increase their post count so that they can vote ....
This is a helping forum and posts should be made to help ppl :)
I have swittched off T&t so i dont know what are the posts there and i dont see them ... The downside is that some posts r sent to T&t and i dont see them .... but atleast i dont see spam and i see the good posts that need help.
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by kao on 04-17-2005 at 10:33 AM

100 posts, about 2 months registered and a +5 rep before people can vote? that'll make them work a bit =P

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by John Anderton on 04-17-2005 at 10:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
100 posts, about 2 months registered
(Y)
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
+5 rep before people can vote
Thats a good idea ..... but err..... what if no one votes for them of they have friends who just vote for them for fun :dodgy:
Then ppl will have to report the reps i guess *-)
[offtopic]Dz .... there is a new emote in msn messenger .... its called i cant smile ... its a bit like *-) ... it hasnt been included here on the forum i think[/offtopic]
RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by .Roy on 04-17-2005 at 10:47 AM

im with pawz on this one. Leave things as they are.

RE: [self-split] spamming to be able to give rep votes by John Anderton on 04-17-2005 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nova
im with pawz on this one. Leave things as they are.
You should read the thread from which this thread was split in that case .... n read it completely ... :P
cant give reputations :(
Read it from the 1st page :P then u can goto the 3rd page :P