Shoutbox

Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG (/showthread.php?tid=43029)

Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by riahc4 on 04-17-2005 at 03:41 PM

Someone should offer a mirror for the Stuffplug-NG validation code. As you may or may not know http://www.stuffplug.com has pasted its bandwidth limit and is now offline. There are 2 problems which is that Stuffplug-NG cant be downloaded from the main site (only places around the web and maybe a link on Mess.be and around the fourms) but the biggest problem it cannot be installed and used.

The person with the mirror must be trustworthy for TB and their mirror has got to be online 99% of the time. I think these accidents can be avoided like this.

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-17-2005 at 03:49 PM

tbh can't see this happening

tb made the Validation code so that u have to visit his site, so can't see him letting another site, give people there validation code

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by riahc4 on 04-17-2005 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddler
tbh can't see this happening

tb made the Validation code so that u have to visit his site, so can't see him letting another site, give people there validation code

Yea but we cant have these kind of things happening so a mirror site has to be made, either by TB or someone who he really trusts.
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Apatik on 04-17-2005 at 10:17 PM

like.. spng.msgplus.net? :p

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by KeyStorm on 04-17-2005 at 10:28 PM

I could host it if he'd allow it to be just plain text (I mean no big design and no styles). However, I think there should be a group of trustees from where to mirror the script.

I could've seen this happening... :^)

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-17-2005 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
so a mirror site has to be made
TB doesn't have to do anything, he does all this for his enjoyment and what not. its up to him what he does and doesn't do

people should just be patient and wait it out

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by KeyStorm on 04-17-2005 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, I mean he has lots of contacts that he could trust the encryptor to, I don't think he'll be wasting time asking for people in the forums, tbh.

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by banky on 04-17-2005 at 10:46 PM

I dont know if Tb trusts me but if he wanted i could mirror it at spng.mad-skinning.net

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by riahc4 on 04-17-2005 at 11:28 PM

quote:
quote:
TB doesn't have to do anything, he does all this for his enjoyment and what not. its up to him what he does and doesn't do

Um no. If it was for his enjoyment he would have never released the plugin, put up with people that critize him, and continue to develop. He does it for the people...

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-17-2005 at 11:48 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Um no. If it was for his enjoyment he would have never released the plugin, put up with people that critize him, and continue to develop. He does it for the people...

omg.......you're a n00b

if he did it for the people...he would be a business.....and he would charge money.

he does it coz he enjoys coding
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Concord Dawn on 04-18-2005 at 12:34 AM

Stop arguing.
[/tellingoff]

I think that mirroring would be an extremely good idea, especially because of the current situation. Ask Kao, he's got a stable host.

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-18-2005 at 12:36 AM

why can't you people see its not going to happen !!!

quote:

edit:
if hes gonna let someone else have give codes, then he mite has well just remove the Validation code all together

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by alewington on 04-18-2005 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Someone should offer a mirror for the Stuffplug-NG validation code. As you may or may not know http://www.stuffplug.com has pasted its bandwidth limit and is now offline. There are 2 problems which is that Stuffplug-NG cant be downloaded from the main site (only places around the web and maybe a link on Mess.be and around the fourms) but the biggest problem it cannot be installed and used.

The person with the mirror must be trustworthy for TB and their mirror has got to be online 99% of the time. I think these accidents can be avoided like this.

w00t its back online!!!!!!
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Chestah on 04-18-2005 at 12:50 AM

Guys the sites back up, i emailed him about it as soon as it passed the bandwidth limit. Not sure if he got it but its back up now. If the site was going to down for an extended amount of time yes it would be useful to have a backup validation site. But how are the users going to know how to get there when the sites down?

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-18-2005 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
But how are the users going to know how to get there when the sites down?

they can wait, it won't kill them to wait a couple of hours, days, or even weeks
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Chestah on 04-18-2005 at 12:54 AM

well doesn't that ruin the whole intention of this thread? wasn't the point that when the main site is down users can go to an alternate site to get the validation so it will work?

Maybe TB could change the link in the installer to revert to another site/domain to redirect users to his main site if its up. But if its down then it will direct the users to an alternate site. Php script could every 30min or so check if the main site is up and have it like that?

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-18-2005 at 01:04 AM

quote:
But if its down then it will direct the users to an alternate site

no point what so ever, he mite as well just buy more bandwidth on his hosting
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Chestah on 04-18-2005 at 01:06 AM

true, but bandwidth is not the only reason why sites go down.

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by toddy on 04-18-2005 at 01:13 AM

quote:
true, but bandwidth is not the only reason why sites go down.
yeh but its the main
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Chestah on 04-18-2005 at 01:14 AM

well it couldn't hurt to compensate for that minor chance to be prepared?

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Manix123 on 04-19-2005 at 04:04 AM

Another idea of forcing people to try his website before the mirror would be to put the 2 links in the setup but the mirror one disabled.... And when you click the official website link, the mirror one goes enabled so if the official site is down, then the user can use the alternative! Can't hurt to prevent.

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by linx05 on 04-19-2005 at 06:40 AM

This does sound like a good idea. But how many times does the SPNG site come offline? To my knowledge not many. Don't quote me on that one though.

But we will still get the on going problem about idiots who can never find the link on the website. They never look. Sorry, rant over.

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by Chestah on 04-19-2005 at 07:41 AM

yeah the site hasn't been down much, TB has things under control (Y)

RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by riahc4 on 04-19-2005 at 07:43 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

omg.......you're a n00b

if he did it for the people...he would be a business.....and he would charge money.

he does it coz he enjoys coding

God your a idiot....does Microsoft make Windows for the people? NO MS makes it to make money.

Think before posting...
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by x2zen on 04-19-2005 at 07:57 PM

quote:
God your a idiot....does Microsoft make Windows for the people? NO MS makes it to make money.
Yes, they make it for the people and earn money on it.

Think before posting...
RE: Validation code mirror for Stuffplug-NG by BART SIMPSON416 on 04-19-2005 at 08:02 PM

I have no problems hosting sutch things at my webspace.
Since i have 7gb of data transfer left / month anyway.
Server has support for php/mysql/perl etc...