Shoutbox

Annoying start up pop up.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Annoying start up pop up.... (/showthread.php?tid=43039)

Annoying start up pop up.... by mwe99 on 04-17-2005 at 05:08 PM

[Image: dll1er.jpg]

Anyone know how i can get rid of that? It's been annoying me for about 3 weeks now. I ran spybot but it still pops up!

Any suggestions?

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by lopardo on 04-17-2005 at 05:19 PM

It's from a spyware program. Maybe Spybod did delete it, but the autorun key is still there, and Windows is telling you it can't find it.

Go to Start > Run, type "msconfig" and press Enter. Go to the last tab, look for an item named "rundll32.exe newdot~2.dll" or something like that and uncheck it.

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Zephyr on 04-17-2005 at 05:21 PM

Newdot is spyware so you probably have deleted it but its still on your startup. Note that it says that the file cannot be found.

1. Click on your Start button, and select the Run option.
2. In the box that appears type  msconfig
3. You will see a screen with several tabs at the top. The General tab will be the default selection. On that tab the 3rd. option down is Selective Startup. Click that box to put a check mark in it.
4. Select the Startup tab, which is at the top, and far right of the window.
5. Scroll down the list of programs, and uncheck "newdot" from the menu.
6. Click the Apply button.
7. Click Ok, and select the Reboot Now option.

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by mwe99 on 04-17-2005 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
select the Run option.
2. In the box that appears type  msconfig

Thanks alot! it worked yay :D
RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Zephyr on 04-17-2005 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Thanks alot! it worked yay

No problem :D
RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Sunshine on 04-17-2005 at 07:45 PM

That however isn't the real solution. I had that once with bridge.dll, i solved it by running TweakNow RegCleaner. The only thing the solution mentioned above did is not making it start up anymore, the key in registry is still there.

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by lopardo on 04-17-2005 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
That however isn't the real solution. I had that once with bridge.dll, i solved it by running TweakNow RegCleaner. The only thing the solution mentioned above did is not making it start up anymore, the key in registry is still there.

What key are you talking about?

I strongly disagree about using programs such as RegCleaner...
RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by absorbation on 04-17-2005 at 07:49 PM

I had a startup error and people told me how to fix it (sunshine) but i did'nt really get it :$ so i left it. A day later it had gone after 3 months of having it and i have no idea why :(

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Sunshine on 04-17-2005 at 07:56 PM

Lopardo:
All thats done now is selective startup, meaning you told windows not to start up a certain item..if you ever had something like that go check, if i'm not mistaken it is still in the startuplist (just unchecked).

TweakNow Regcleaner is fully safe to use (unlike many other regcleaners and tweakers..to use those you need to know what you are doing), it even makes backups...wich i never had to use...ofcourse you can choose to clean out the registry manually if you like (if you know what you are doing..if not..don't). A messy registry can cause your computer to slow down.

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by mwe99 on 04-17-2005 at 08:03 PM

I'll try the TweakNow Regcleaner and report back. Thanks Sunshine!

edit: okay so it came back that i have a total of 95 "problems" :|

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Sunshine on 04-17-2005 at 08:12 PM

If the scan comes up with unknown ones and you dont know what they are/do (do some research, google) leave em...for the rest, well it says "safe"and "not fully safe", i always let it clean out those 2 sorts and never experienced any problems.

If you still doubt, make a restore point before doing anything (regcleaner creates backups too tho...but you know better safe than sorry).

The one you mentioned in your first post was still there too, right mwe99?

Edit: yw :)

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by mwe99 on 04-17-2005 at 08:15 PM

Yeah i just clicked "delete safe ones" when i reboot i'll see if things improve :) Thanks for the info though ! (Y)

Yeah but i didn't see the one that appeared when i start up.. it was odd cos i did check for it

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by lopardo on 04-17-2005 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Lopardo:
All thats done now is selective startup, meaning you told windows not to start up a certain item..if you ever had something like that go check, if i'm not mistaken it is still in the startuplist (just unchecked).
No...

Msconfig moves the registry value out of HKLM or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run so it doesn't autostart anymore, but keeps the item in the list so you can easily restore it if you want. There's no problem if you leave it there, so RegCleaner isn't needed at all.

A really good program to clean the autorun list is Sysinternal's Autoruns which shows much more startup paths than msconfig, and let's you disable and remove entries completely.
RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Zephyr on 04-17-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
A really good program to clean the autorun list is Sysinternal's Autoruns which shows much more startup paths than msconfig, and let's you disable and remove entries completely.

You can also use spybot search and destroyer to edit autorun.
Open Spybot, click on tools on the left of the window and click sytem startup. You can also disable and remove entries.
RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by lopardo on 04-17-2005 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
You can also use spybot search and destroyer to edit autorun.
Open Spybot, click on tools on the left of the window and click sytem startup. You can also disable and remove entries.
Yes, but it isn't as comprehensive as Autoruns.

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
edit: okay so it came back that i have a total of 95 "problems" :|
You used those quotes right, I'm pretty sure those aren't problems at all...
RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by Chris4 on 04-17-2005 at 11:01 PM

I use Registry Machanic.
I search all the time and I get so many problems. They just won't go away. Every time I search theres like 50.

RE: Annoying start up pop up.... by lopardo on 04-18-2005 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
I use Registry Machanic.
I search all the time and I get so many problems. They just won't go away. Every time I search theres like 50.
Don't worry about those "problems"...