Shoutbox

Website building - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Website building (/showthread.php?tid=43095)

Website building by vincerooney on 04-18-2005 at 02:04 PM

Anyone know a good way to set up a professional(ish) website which allows good levels of editing but can cater for a 'n00b' who doesnt know anything but the basic html.

I'm thinking of creating a website which is simplistic and quickish to set up but allows a good level of editing and homing into what I want it to look like.

I've used geocities but its pretty much a teenage girl website for webpage editing and i've never been able to make it look anything more than that for myself.

I've also used tripod but there werent enough editing options available and you were pretty much left with default backgrounds and layouts (which were horrible)

Is it possible to host a livejournal on a webpage too? I've got a long running livejournal which I update daily. It'd be brilliant if that could be posted onto the webpage too.

I'm just looking for possible ideas right now which would need a webpage making website which caters for my needs but doesnt get too complicated. Any ideas?

RE: Website building by Jhrono on 04-18-2005 at 02:23 PM

learning php is the best way...myself, i'm lasy so i didnt learn much but it's an essencial language, which will improve your site for sure:D

RE: Website building by Vilkku on 04-18-2005 at 02:29 PM

Actually there is no difference between hosts when it comes to HTML, differences might be PHP and such but it's not needed to make a good looking basic website. Their editors may be different but it's all the same stuff. I used to make my webpages in Notepad first but nowadays I'm using Dreamweaver, you can download a tiral version from the Macromedia webpage and then you can "aquire" it later.

RE: Website building by .Roy on 04-18-2005 at 02:49 PM

I myself use Dreamweaver. But if you are a n00b or something, you need to use the web editors. Free webs is a pretty good hosting for n00bs. It also makes ur site look really good :). I used to use freewebs :) It was great :P

RE: Website building by Chris4 on 04-18-2005 at 02:57 PM

Free Hosts:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=16404

I use:
http://www.100webspace.com

RE: Website building by Tasha on 04-18-2005 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nova
I myself use Dreamweaver. But if you are a n00b or something, you need to use the web editors. Free webs is a pretty good hosting for n00bs. It also makes ur site look really good :). I used to use freewebs :) It was great :P

You don't need to use web editors. On my very first website I used Dreamweaver. Its really easy for a basic website.

Get one of the hosting above, or if you already have it, use what ever you have. :p Then you can use whatever you want. If you know basic HTML then I recommend Dreamweaver really. But thtas just me. :p Use whatever you feel comfortable with, eg, you could write it up yourself in Notepad :p
RE: Website building by user35870 on 04-18-2005 at 03:04 PM

Microsoft frontpage is also a good program.

RE: Website building by Chris4 on 04-18-2005 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
Microsoft frontpage is also a good program.

Yeh I use that. www.100webspace.com has Frontpage extensions which are useful.
RE: Website building by vincerooney on 04-18-2005 at 04:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys once again you show why this is the best place to go to for computer help!

RE: Website building by Pr0xY on 04-18-2005 at 04:48 PM

I use front page and dreamweaver.  Front page is easier to use, but you can do some cool things with Dreamweaver if you know what your doing. 

Offtopic: Chris4 stop spamming before you get banned.