Shoutbox

We Have a New Pope - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: We Have a New Pope (/showthread.php?tid=43193)

We Have a New Pope by *Saint* on 04-19-2005 at 04:07 PM

They Chose a New Pope We will see who in a 15-40 minutes(Y)

RE: We Have a New Pope by user27089 on 04-19-2005 at 04:21 PM

I was just about to come upstairs and make a thread, I think that it is somebody from Latin-America... 85% of all south americans are catholic, that's the highest figure in the world...

RE: We Have a New Pope by Dempsey on 04-19-2005 at 04:30 PM

it's me I'm the Pope.

uh No

RE: We Have a New Pope by Rik on 04-19-2005 at 04:46 PM

cardeal Joseph Ratzinger - Bento XVI
the oldest :dodgy:

RE: We Have a New Pope by *Saint* on 04-19-2005 at 04:47 PM

from Germany:( i wanted the one from Quebec the youngest hes only 60:lol:

his name he choose is Benedict XVI  (16)

RE: We Have a New Pope by MeEtc on 04-19-2005 at 04:49 PM

* MeEtc heads over to EDIT: CBC
(They have a translator!)

RE: We Have a New Pope by user27089 on 04-19-2005 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cool Rik
cardeal Ratzinger
the oldest :dodgy:

How old is he, like 79 or something, I know he isn't over 80, as nobody over 80 could vote because of possible illness etc.

I doubt this pope will be here for a quarter of the time that Pope John Paul II was...
RE: We Have a New Pope by toddy on 04-19-2005 at 04:49 PM

(not meaning to sound to bad but......) its stupid tbh, the guy is 78, its not long before hes gonna die/pass away. choosing someone whos younger would be smart tbh

RE: We Have a New Pope by .blade// on 04-19-2005 at 04:51 PM

Pope Benedict XVI
What a name :P

RE: We Have a New Pope by Rik on 04-19-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
How old is he, like 79 or something, I know he isn't over 80, as nobody over 80 could vote because of possible illness etc.
78 years old

RE: We Have a New Pope by Jhrono on 04-19-2005 at 04:54 PM

Portugal has two cardinals there...One of them was a candidate, but i didnt like him anyway...even tho this pope is old, let's hope his time has our messenger to god goes on just fine....

RE: We Have a New Pope by user27089 on 04-19-2005 at 04:54 PM

Somebody younger would be more feasable, but hey, it's there choice, and I'm guessing they know their stuff. They were trying to pick somebody conservative, like Pope John Paul II, trying to prevent any selective catholicism etc.

Just thought I'd add:

My Confirmation name is Benedict

And I go to St. Benedict's RC High School :O.

RE: We Have a New Pope by .blade// on 04-19-2005 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
Portugal has two cardinals there...One of them was a candidate, but i didnt like him anyway...even tho this pope is old, let's hope his time has our messenger to god goes on just fine....

I think it's kinda dumb to choose such an oldy :P At this rate there's going to be a new pope every 10 years :P

RE: We Have a New Pope by user27089 on 04-19-2005 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:

I think it's kinda dumb to choose such an oldy :P At this rate there's going to be a new pope every 10 years :P

That's a bit disrespectful, just looked at the television, and he looks quite healthy for his age, he's doing his opening prayer at the moment.
RE: We Have a New Pope by MeEtc on 04-19-2005 at 04:56 PM

It only took four ballots

RE: We Have a New Pope by Millenium_edition on 04-19-2005 at 04:56 PM

i don't hate the pope, i just hate the whole idea of the pope.

he gets a lot of respect because he does good things. WOO. he's also ultimately rich. while he helps the poor people, he still lives in a whole COUNTRY (yes, vatican state or something like that) for him ONLY. sure, it's the church's property, but still, the pope uses it.

what also pisses me off is that HE is TEH leader, everyone is like "OMG HE'S DEAD" when he dies, even if he did (less good) bad things.

oh, and, why can't women become popes?

quote:
it's not because they can't become pope or higher than <sister x> that we don't respect them as much as the males in the church
this is a very lame excuse tbh.
RE: We Have a New Pope by Y2Pdogg on 04-19-2005 at 05:11 PM

I got a question...what happens if Pope Benedict XIV just, god forbid, happen to dies tommorrow or tonight in his sleep? I mean o_O how weird would that be?!

RE: We Have a New Pope by toddy on 04-19-2005 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Y2Pdogg
what happens if Pope Benedict XIV just, god forbid, happen to dies tommorrow or tonight in his sleep?

then they get a new pope 8-)
RE: We Have a New Pope by user27089 on 04-19-2005 at 05:15 PM

quote:
I got a question...what happens if Pope Benedict XIV just, god forbid, happen to dies tommorrow or tonight in his sleep? I mean o_O how weird would that be?!

There were 3 popes in 1976, one died, another was elected, died 10 - 30 days later suddenly and pope john paul was picked...
RE: We Have a New Pope by Y2Pdogg on 04-19-2005 at 05:19 PM

oooh I did not know that.

RE: We Have a New Pope by Rik on 04-19-2005 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Portugal has two cardinals there...One of them was a candidate, but i didnt like him anyway
Policarpo isn't so bad,he's going to give me my acolyte blessing in 25 of April:banana:
quote:
not weird...just 2 wasted days :dodgy:
RE: We Have a New Pope by ayjay on 04-19-2005 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Policarpo isn't so bad,he's going to give me my acolyte blessing in 25 of April

My birthday :banana: :P

I agree with toddy (as it was my comment in the first place on irc :P)
Get a young pope, those poor people travelling to that vatican square thing are going to be knackered!
RE: We Have a New Pope by Vazza on 04-19-2005 at 07:15 PM

Well it was an historic day for me, just to see it happening on the TV. They had their reasons for choosing someone older, as, and no disrespect to John Paul, was so they didn't make so many changes.

And as a statistic: Benidict XVI is the oldest cardinal to be assigned Pope with in a centuary.

RE: We Have a New Pope by saralk on 04-19-2005 at 08:26 PM

Maybe they chose him because they didnt like any of the other choices, and next time round they have better choices.

RE: We Have a New Pope by paperless on 04-19-2005 at 08:35 PM

Bah.. i think he is too narrow-minded it will be a shock for people, they were used to have an open-minded pope...

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
My birthday
Eheh in 25 April here we get a day off because it was the day when Portugal got rid of dictatureship. It was a revolution witthout fight which is rare..
Bah i suck
RE: We Have a New Pope by spokes on 04-19-2005 at 08:37 PM

they chose an older one because of how long pope john paul lasted, they dont want a pope to last as long as that. can't remember where i heard that, but it's like, say we had tony blair as prime minister for 20 years!

RE: We Have a New Pope by user27089 on 04-19-2005 at 08:42 PM

Btw people, they didn't choose this pope for all of these reasons, I've already told you the reasons, it's to do with the ways that Pope John Paul II was, and the way that they don't want things to change, this means:

Catholics only following certain rules of catholocism to suit their needs (Selective Catholicism), they would like to have a conservative pope, and I think that this is what they've got.

I hope this pope lasts a while, they need to give people chances don't they, rather than just having one pope, it was an historical day for me aswell... He wasn't chosen because of the lengths of time he would last, he was chosen because he is a great man.

RE: We Have a New Pope by ~INVASION~ on 04-19-2005 at 08:53 PM

It has happened many times before, a pope is elected to by some time for choosing a pope they really want, this one sounds like hes anoher temporary pope untill they can find a real one :undecided:

RE: We Have a New Pope by WDZ on 04-20-2005 at 04:52 AM

Hmm... it seems that many people are already comparing the new pope to a certain Star Wars character... :lol:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=444839]

RE: We Have a New Pope by *Saint* on 04-20-2005 at 05:03 AM

somebodys going to hell:dodgy:

RE: We Have a New Pope by Purity on 04-20-2005 at 05:17 AM

Bah, you guys need to lighten up:P

I find it funny :rofl:

and I'm not going to hell, because Jesus is my homeboy! ;)
[Image: 2005011415495470.jpg]

RE: RE: We Have a New Pope by Joa on 04-20-2005 at 05:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Hmm... it seems that many people are already comparing the new pope to a certain Star Wars character... :lol:

that is so rude. :|

it's kind of true though.. :^) there is a similarity in their features.

but some people might be offended by that comparison :-/
anyway, i hope that the new pope will be as good as John Paul II was... supposedly he will carry on the same respect for other religions and the same values as the last pope.. so thats kinda a cool :happy:

Edit: :dodgy: purity

:P
RE: We Have a New Pope by John Anderton on 04-20-2005 at 07:23 AM

quote:
78 years old
:| ... they could have had a younger pope so that they wouldnt have to elect a new one any time soon but oh well .... thats good :)
RE: We Have a New Pope by FrozernFire on 04-20-2005 at 07:27 AM

i doesnt bother me much... :/. as long as he respects other religions and people with no religion, good enough

RE: We Have a New Pope by mad_onion on 04-20-2005 at 03:43 PM

lol wow the resemblence is amazing same nose and skin. interesting. i think this pope is a stand in for a better one, he is really old already. but i hate it when people complain about him being too conservative. how can you have a liberal pope? Christianity is supposed to be about the bible so they should just follow what it says and deal with it. it isnt like anyone is forcing them to be Christian.
oh and saint not that hell actually exists or anything but i cant wait to go there sounds nice :)

RE: We Have a New Pope by Jimcando on 04-20-2005 at 03:47 PM

Well, we all know he was German.
He was also in the Hitler Youth :P or so I hear

RE: We Have a New Pope by Exca on 04-20-2005 at 04:13 PM

Bwah he is to conservative. Again. Why not cardinal Danneels from belgium (yea i know, but it's not cause i live there) he's not to old, and isn't that conservative, he knows the youth and knows what he's doing..?

RE: We Have a New Pope by Pr0xY on 04-20-2005 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

ROFL, I thought the new pope looked like him too.  Right when I saw him on TV.  He's seriously old, and looks creepy. 
RE: We Have a New Pope by andrey on 04-20-2005 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando
He was also in the Hitler Youth :P or so I hear
Doesn't make him a nazi at all :-/ Just because he was forced into the Hitlerjugend doesn't mean that he believed in the Nazis.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando
Well, we all know he was German.
And ??? :-/
(btw, he still is german..)

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Hehe...true there are some similarities :p
RE: We Have a New Pope by Chris4 on 04-20-2005 at 08:40 PM

Ratzinger as a boy, was a helper in the German military anti-craft unit, during the war.

The the newspaper they describe him as "Hitler Youth". I'm not religous or anything and I didn't even know much about the pope untill he died; but the new pope looks pretty scarey. lol

RE: We Have a New Pope by zeus6996 on 04-21-2005 at 04:41 AM

He said that he is against Turkey being entered into the EU because they are a mostly Muslum country and he wants Europe to be entirely Catholic... This is racism to the max... Also, he is very verbal about his anti-feminists... but that's not unusual in religions... In the Jewish religion the men are supposed to do a prayer every morning thanking God for not making him a woman... I think ortho Chirstians do it as well... Religion is rediculous... What if I said I believed in Zeus or a Goblin both of which have as much credibility as anything in any religious text.
The only difference is that the Greeks said that their Mythology was fictional.

RE: We Have a New Pope by Hank on 04-21-2005 at 05:10 AM

do we really Need  a New Pope .. i dont think so .. im not gonna bother turnin on to see who it is .. prefer to watch days of our Driaries than see who the new pope is

RE: We Have a New Pope by Exca on 04-21-2005 at 04:35 PM

just wait a bit 'till he's dead :dodgy:

RE: We Have a New Pope by Savior on 04-21-2005 at 05:54 PM

I was reading about this new pope on the internet and did you know he was part of the nazi party when he was young?

RE: We Have a New Pope by andrey on 04-21-2005 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Savior
I was reading about this new pope on the internet and did you know he was part of the nazi party when he was young?
Did you read this thread ?
As I said before:
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Doesn't make him a nazi at all :-/ Just because he was forced into the Hitlerjugend doesn't mean that he believed in the Nazis.
He wasn't part of the Nazi party, he was flakhelper in the Hitlerjugend which means he held spotlights or something like that. Also, nearly everyone was in the HJ at that time, if they wanted or not !

I personally think that he's too conservative, but let's see what he does when he is pope, it could be that he changes.
quote:
Originally posted by zeus6996
He said that he is against Turkey being entered into the EU because they are a mostly Muslum country and he wants Europe to be entirely Catholic... This is racism to the max
I don't want Turkey in the EU either. Not because they're muslims, just because they aren't ready yet and won't be ready in 20 or 30 years. There is corruption and poverty everywhere and the EU has enough problems, I think we should stop inviting everyone into the European Union.
RE: We Have a New Pope by x2zen on 04-21-2005 at 06:49 PM

I think its time you all let go of the 2. World War, and stop blaming german people for what Adofl Hitler did for many years ago.
Just because Pope Benedict VXI is from Germany doesnt mean he is nazist.

Lets see if he bringes any new things with him.

RE: RE: We Have a New Pope by brian on 04-21-2005 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Pope Benedict XVI
What a name :P

I heared it's, Benedictus? Anyways, in french, they called him Benoît.
RE: We Have a New Pope by Pipish on 04-21-2005 at 11:27 PM

The german pope benidict :P nazi pope lol

the people seem to like him