Shoutbox

Fourms changed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Fourms changed (/showthread.php?tid=43282)

Fourms changed by absorbation on 04-20-2005 at 03:37 PM

Have they just changed the names of the threads and postions? :P

Sorry if i sounded like a noob (speling wrong) :(

Delete the thread if it's old news :P

RE: Fourms changed by haydos on 04-20-2005 at 03:38 PM

Yeah i just noticed that as well, it doesn't make sense now...

MsgPlus! General Talk
Here you can talk about anything related to Messenger Plus! that doesn't fit in the forums above

General talk is second now, there is only 1 forum above it :undecided:

RE: Fourms changed by WDZ on 04-20-2005 at 03:42 PM

Blah... I tried that to see if it would look better, having the 2 forums whose names start with "MsgPlus!" right by each other.

RE: Fourms changed by haydos on 04-20-2005 at 03:45 PM

I think it looks better now that you have changed the wording on that second part, I personally prefer this arrangement(y)

RE: Fourms changed by M73A on 04-20-2005 at 03:49 PM

i think it looks better too.....how longs that bin in effect ^o) couldn't spot what had change until i saw this thread....

RE: Fourms changed by WDZ on 04-20-2005 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
how longs that bin in effect
"Help & Support" was renamed to "MsgPlus! Help & Support" less than 24 hours ago. Apparently some newbies weren't understanding that the forum was for Plus! help only.
RE: Fourms changed by RaceProUK on 04-20-2005 at 04:03 PM

Despite the 'Messenger Plus!' heading directly above it.

RE: Fourms changed by user27089 on 04-20-2005 at 04:05 PM

I thought that a few things had changed but didn't look twice... it's okay, but I'm used to the old way it was :(...

Just like I'm used to this forum now, as it is unique, I don't want it to change to MyBB 1 when it comes out :cry:

RE: Fourms changed by .Roy on 04-20-2005 at 05:10 PM

imo I dont think this looks better.
BUT it will help many n00bs who have a problem in Msn Messenger to not post in Help and Support.

But while you are changing the forums a bit i have a suggestion For a sub forum under Msn/windows messenger. You can have something under it called Messenger help and support. So it would also help confusion.

But overall i think this is a good change and should be kept.

RE: Fourms changed by Anubis on 04-20-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

"Help & Support" was renamed to "MsgPlus! Help & Support" less than 24 hours ago. Apparently some newbies weren't understanding that the forum was for Plus! help only.

Understandable. The thing says Help & Support, most people with less knowledge of the forum, don't look at the category it's in.

However I doubt they'll care to post in "MSN/Windows Messenger" because it lacks the words "help & support" which is after all what they want. Obviously that can't be added because it's just a place to discuss MSN Messenger in general, as well as support for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Nova

But while you are changing the forums a bit i have a suggestion For a sub forum under Msn/windows messenger. You can have something under it called Messenger help and support. So it would also help confusion.

Agreed (Y). I wouldn't mind a "MSN/Windows Messenger - Help & Support" section. So that discussion of Messenger and support for it could be kept cleanly separated. Of course it would have to say "this area is not for support for Plus" or words to that effect.
RE: Fourms changed by WDZ on 04-20-2005 at 05:24 PM

If "Messenger Help & Support" is a sub-forum, the newbies probably won't even know it's there. They'll probably just post in the only "Help" forum they spot on the index. :dodgy:

RE: RE: Fourms changed by Anubis on 04-20-2005 at 05:27 PM

Then perhaps a new section could be made, with the title Support, in there could be two clearly outlined forums in there. The normal "Plus Help + Support" and another "MSN/Windows Messenger - Help & Support" section.
Again if "MSN/Windows Messenger - Help & Support" clearly said "this area is not for support for Messenger Plus" or words to that effect, I doubt there would be confusion, and since it's all in one support section they may be likely do pick the right one, if it is clearly outlined.

RE: Fourms changed by .Roy on 04-20-2005 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
If "Messenger Help & Support" is a sub-forum, the newbies probably won't even know it's there. They'll probably just post in the only "Help" forum they spot on the index. :dodgy:

no they wont. Remember that they have to register first. And that leads them to the home forum page. And then they would clearly see the Messenger Help & Support.

I think this is a great idea.  Maybe we can have it like:
---Msn/Windows Messenger
Messenger News
Messenger Help And Support
Messenger Chat.

Something like this ;)

edit: You can always bold the text
RE: Fourms changed by Dempsey on 04-20-2005 at 05:29 PM

i don't think they actually mean a sub-forum, but a forum under the 'MSN/Windows Messenger' category

RE: Fourms changed by WDZ on 04-20-2005 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nova
And that leads them to the home forum page. And then they would clearly see the Messenger Help & Support.
Not if it's a sub-forum. You can't see Poll Center on the index, can you?

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
i don't think they actually mean a sub-forum, but a forum under the 'MSN/Windows Messenger' category
We don't have that category though... yet... :p
RE: RE: Fourms changed by Anubis on 04-20-2005 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
We don't have that category though... yet... :p

Actually what I was meaning was a support category, with both a forum for Plus support (the current support one) and another for the support of MSN\Windows Messenger itself. Both clearly outlined. I think this system would be easy for newbies to understand.
RE: Fourms changed by WDZ on 04-20-2005 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Actually what I was meaning was a support category, with both a forum for Plus support (the current support one) and another for the support of MSN\Windows Messenger itself. Both clearly outlined. I think this system would be easy for newbies to understand.
It might work, but I'm not sure... maybe a poll should be made sometime. :p

The main problem that comes to mind is that there would no longer be a support forum in the MsgPlus! category... it would be somewhere else. That doesn't seem right to me.

What I'd rather do is keep the MsgPlus! category as it is, move Tech Talk into the general category, and have a category dedicated to Messenger. In there, we could have "Messenger Help & Support" and "Messenger General Talk". I never liked the "Messenger & Technology" name anyway.
RE: Fourms changed by Anubis on 04-20-2005 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

What I'd rather do is keep the MsgPlus! category as it is, move Tech Talk into the general category, and have a category dedicated to Messenger. In there, we could have "Messenger Help & Support" and "Messenger General Talk". I never liked the "Messenger & Technology" name anyway.

I don't believe that would really help the problem of help threads being posted in the wrong area.

Since providing help & support is the forum's main aim, it needs to be very easy to get the help and support you need and post it in the right area easily and quickly for people. I believe a support section with the two forums for both the old Plus support one and MSN\Messenger stand alone support would provide this.

Personally I'd like to give it a small while, see if anyone has any other ideas.
Then, if the yourself or other staff members do not object, I'll post a poll and then see what people think of the new idea.
RE: Fourms changed by RaceProUK on 04-20-2005 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I personally prefer this idea.
However, you've got to remember, no matter how clear the options are, there's always going to be those that just post wherever anyway. There's no guaranteed way of solving the whole 'posted in wrong forum' problem.