Shoutbox

Okay.. Pissed off me - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Okay.. Pissed off me (/showthread.php?tid=43327)

Okay.. Pissed off me by surfichris on 04-21-2005 at 03:08 AM

:@:@:@:@

I've had it with the maturity and attitude of some of the members here. I've had it with the spammers too who obviously cannot follow some simple rules.

If you don't have anything useful or nice to say then don't say it at all

Read the rules for heavens sake, http://shoutbox.menthix.net/rules.html

Seriously, numerous members have left because of the increasing amount of spam on this place and the fact people are making useless replies to help requests and providing wrong information. People have left because they don't like the attitude of people here.

Flaming, abuse or any other kind of related action will result in an instant 24hour ban from me

Right now i'm going to enforce a new "policy" of mine. You spam the first time (ie 2 reported posts from you), you get one warning. Spam again its a 24 hour ban with an email sent to you explaining why. Spam again after that it becomes a week. Eventually you'll just be banned.

Now, if you post warez, you'll be banned right away. If you flame another member, well you'll possibly be banned right away too.

These wont be the actions of all of the moderators, but of me, unless they decide to adopt this idea too.

It gets on my nerves that I come here wanting to read threads/post and I spend half my time dealing with reported posts, bad reputations and everything else. It also shits me to death when people are spamming and i'm tyring to read "real" threads and posts.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by ~INVASION~ on 04-21-2005 at 03:11 AM

excellent

im growing tired of this new generation also, settle down ppl :dodgy:

u dont look kool when you post crap just to let you know

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by dylan! on 04-21-2005 at 03:14 AM

it isnt just the newer "generation" but its also the more helping members leaving:(

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Joe on 04-21-2005 at 03:18 AM

This has been a noticeably growing trend around here, and lately i have seen bans resulting from such behavior. I'm glad someone with authority stepped up and put the issue out in the open.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 03:18 AM

:| I'LL BE GOOD :'(

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by haydos on 04-21-2005 at 03:19 AM

Thankyou Chris I really think this is going to help get the forum back to where it should be. (y)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 03:28 AM

:P, we hope inc_haydn

we hope

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Purity on 04-21-2005 at 03:47 AM

I agree 100%, everyone needs to chill! :|

Take it easy, some of you need to loosen up.

And stop spamming... (A)

I kinda think we should disable T&T for a month or 2. :-/

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by WDZ on 04-21-2005 at 03:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I kinda think we should disable T&T for a month or 2.
We'd all die... :lol:

Or the other forums would become :spam: dumps because there's nowhere else for it... it would be like a room without a garbage can during a party with food. :-/
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Joe on 04-21-2005 at 03:52 AM

haha.... nice analogy:p

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by ~INVASION~ on 04-21-2005 at 03:52 AM

if theres food at the party wouldnt it just get ate :lol:

but ya no t&t=spam everywhere :undecided:

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Purity on 04-21-2005 at 03:57 AM

Just delete the threads :-/

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 04:11 AM

:( i believed the world just stopped spinning for a fraction of a second when the words

DISABLE T&T showed up

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Joa on 04-21-2005 at 04:17 AM

Chris: excellent idea (y)

...but i agree with squall too, cuz purity made me feel faint when he said to disable T&T. :cry:

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Purity on 04-21-2005 at 04:20 AM

I'm just pointing out that T&T is what is destroying us... :cheesy:

Bah, I'll be over
|
|
-------->here

.... if you need me....

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by -rafy- on 04-21-2005 at 04:21 AM

you have my blessing :)

should be adopted by all moderators

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 04:29 AM

T&T is not whats destroying us

its our idiot posting and the staff members (no offence chris) allowing us to use bad language and stuff in here

i agree with chris
its the same kind of attitude i take with the forums i mod and admin,

the guys at G3d are like that as well
they take no crap from anyone

but don't take away the only place on the forum a person can express themselves whether talentedly or not :(

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by .Roy on 04-21-2005 at 05:52 AM

i agree with you, but your still aloud to spam in T&T, Right.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 06:09 AM

for now :(

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Stigmata on 04-21-2005 at 06:22 AM

i think hiding t & t for a tempory stage would be a good idea.

personally i dont think it would increase the spam on the other forums, maybe even decrease because people will maybe just release that after surfi's new improved attitude to the rules is implyed then they will not spam.

and by newer generation, am i fair in saying post july 2004
(nothing to do with any specific member joining)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-21-2005 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nova
:( Why do u wanna spam .... i try to keep it to a minimum.
I wouldnt mind if t&t was disabled or a tighter watch was kept on quality control in T&T but as DZ said if T&T is closed down the ppl will spam other "clean" forums :dodgy:
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by user27089 on 04-21-2005 at 06:46 AM

I'm finally glad of having a decent policy, too much spamming has been happening, I've been trying to help in threads and there are stupid posts like...

"that happened to me once, its okay now though"

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-21-2005 at 06:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
"that happened to me once, its okay now though"
Ya that is really irritatin .... the worst part is that when someone makes a thread to ask about something and the 1st reply is like that then this post doesnt show up in the unanswered thread list and due to this, the post is lost. This has happened to me many a times and i tht of reporting these posts cause the questions remain unanswered :dodgy: but i dont think the reporting rules thread says anything about this.
Chris ... is this a valid reason to report a thread ?
Also i think there should be a way to make it compulsory for a person to read the rules page after registering. But ppl may just goto the page and never read it. Most ppl dont read the message that comes as soon as u hit the register button (at any forum not just MyBB ones)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by .Roy on 04-21-2005 at 06:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
:( Why do u wanna spam .... i try to keep it to a minimum.
I wouldnt mind if t&t was disabled or a tighter watch was kept on quality control in T&T but as DZ said if T&T is closed down the ppl will spam other "clean" forums :dodgy:

Omfg. Did I say anything about me spamming in T&T, Actually I DIDNT.

Just to point that out to you ;)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 07:04 AM

i don't read forum rules....

most of em are the same

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by user27089 on 04-21-2005 at 07:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
i think hiding t & t for a tempory stage would be a good idea.

personally i dont think it would increase the spam on the other forums, maybe even decrease because people will maybe just release that after surfi's new improved attitude to the rules is implyed then they will not spam.

and by newer generation, am i fair in saying post july 2004
(nothing to do with any specific member joining)

I personally don't think that would be the answer, it was also mean a lot of people possibly leaving, possibly not, because of the amount of the first rules that have been enforced on this forum... It would just get annoying, where would the split threads and stuff go? Just be deleted... It would be completely ludacris to do so, I'm not majourly active in testing and trashing, I'm more active in the help threads, trying to help all of the people...

I don't think that the spam would decrease either, possibly some stupid threads in general chit chat, as now that their no-post zone is gone, then they will not have anywhere to post their non-related threads, possibly sufficient... Therefore, spam would increase in general chit chat as the amount of people get annoyed with the "disappearance" of testing and trashing... Where is this thread place? I guess that there is a reason that it's placed here... Surfi has implied rules like these before, sometimes they have worked, but others, have just gotten generally rude and cheeky, and it's not relevent to that... Maybe they need to be enforced in a different manner to what they would be by "hiding T&T"...

To be honest, people will always spam, there will always be a major spamming problem everywhere, in a few weeks, people will probably forget these rules, and start spamming again... I'm not saying that I condone this, and I'm not saying that I, myself, won't obide by these rules, I'm just saying that it's the way things go, people are arrogant, and want to do things their own way...
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-21-2005 at 07:11 AM

quote:
Omfg. Did I say anything about me spamming in T&T, Actually I DIDNT.
But if ur asking if it is allowed what does that seem to imply :dodgy:
quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
i don't read forum rules....

most of em are the same
See ..... its such a short list ..... u can sit so long reading long threads then why cant u read a small list of rules :undecided:

quote:
Chris ... is this a valid reason to report a thread ?
Just cause they aint contributing to the thread .... is this ok then ??
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-21-2005 at 07:19 AM

:| i don't see the point of reading something on one forum thats posted on 90 others

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by MoRiA on 04-21-2005 at 07:31 AM

Just read the damned rules! It won't take long! I stopped being an active member here about a year ago because it was getting too spammy and full of totally idiotic members and I like to spend my time around more mature people. I'm not sure why I then went to IRC where we have the likes of Time (;)) but you'll notice that I joined bloody ages ago and have posted pretty much nothing.

Personally I don't see a problem in leaving T&T here, as long as that's the ONLY place where spam is. Anywhere else should get an instant 24 hr ban IMO.

As for giving out wrong help... That's just stupid. If you don't know the answer to something then just don't say anything. Don't go making stuff up and pretending it's the right answer. OMG 8-)

I'll just stick to the mess.be forums where, thanks to some recent hard work by the moderators & admins with lots of warning & banning, there isn't much spam left and people know where they stand. Unfortunately a couple of members have taken to disagreeing with my actions. They are now ex-members ;)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by surfichris on 04-21-2005 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I personally don't think that would be the answer, it was also mean a lot of people possibly leaving, possibly not, because of the amount of the first rules that have been enforced on this forum... It would just get annoying, where would the split threads and stuff go? Just be deleted... It would be completely ludacris to do so, I'm not majourly active in testing and trashing, I'm more active in the help threads, trying to help all of the people...

If they leave that is their choice. Obviously they were here to spam. The amount of rules? Hardly any and we're more tollerant. Any decent community have a good list of rules. Split threads would go to the forum they apply to most - spam would get deleted.
quote:
Just cause they aint contributing to the thread .... is this ok then ??
Yes.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by M73A on 04-21-2005 at 12:32 PM

well the whole thing if t&t is shut people will spam other places.......then the spammers can be banned, its like a way of finding out the 'proper' members and the spammers....

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by MoRiA on 04-21-2005 at 12:44 PM

Indeed. "People won't have anywhere to post their spam!" - don't spam at all then? If you must spam then just type it into a notepad file and then delete it. Post it on your website. Do anything but make others have to sort through your total crap to get to useful stuff!

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Messer on 04-21-2005 at 01:07 PM

But not if it is going to cause flame wars and such.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Fraisie on 04-21-2005 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

I've had it with the maturity and attitude of some of the members here. I've had it with the spammers too who obviously cannot follow some simple rules.

Seriously, numerous members have left because of the increasing amount of spam on this place and the fact people are making useless replies to help requests and providing wrong information. People have left because they don't like the attitude of people here.

Flaming, abuse or any other kind of related action will result in an instant 24hour ban from me

Right now i'm going to enforce a new "policy" of mine. You spam the first time (ie 2 reported posts from you), you get one warning. Spam again its a 24 hour ban with an email sent to you explaining why. Spam again after that it becomes a week. Eventually you'll just be banned.

Now, if you post warez, you'll be banned right away. If you flame another member, well you'll possibly be banned right away too.

These wont be the actions of all of the moderators, but of me, unless they decide to adopt this idea too.

It gets on my nerves that I come here wanting to read threads/post and I spend half my time dealing with reported posts, bad reputations and everything else. It also shits me to death when people are spamming and i'm tyring to read "real" threads and posts.

Great !

Basically, if you dont know how to help in a help wanted thread, dont post.

If you are not sure about how to help, same thing.

If proper help was given already, dont post it a second or third time. So please, read what already been said.

If you cant say something nice about a person, dont post. (no flamming, theres been a awful lot of it lately).

And yeah, I delete lotsa posts, so if you dont follow these basic rules, dont come and complain i deleted some of your posts :)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pr0xY on 04-21-2005 at 03:43 PM

Chris I'm glad to see at least one of the administrators is enforcing some kind a state of marshal law.  It's the only thing that will have an effect on this forum.  You all can talk about what needs to be done, and what & who needs to change, but actions speak loader then words.   

I support you and your actions.  :)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by GiantSpider on 04-21-2005 at 04:24 PM

Is it just me or do we have this disscussion every year?

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Stigmata on 04-21-2005 at 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tehGspider
Is it just me or do we have this disscussion every year?

look at that thread..

and compare it to this one..

and you wonder why some of the older members are so pissed off with the newer generation.

@traxor's reply to my point:
quote:
it was also mean a lot of people possibly leaving
wouldnt that be a good thing?
quote:
I'm not majourly active in testing and trashing, I'm more active in the help threads, trying to help all of the people...
:dodgy:
quote:
It would be completely ludacris to do so
no, it would be smart to do so.

I ask this question?

Why do people on this forum not like mess.be???

its because we do not take this type of bullshit from members.
and yes, some have left, (some perm banned).
but i must say, the forum is a better place for it.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Stigmata on 04-21-2005 at 05:47 PM

you all complain about the spam...

and youve just spammed this topic.

who cares that its in t&t, you should at least stay on topic....

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Sunshine on 04-21-2005 at 06:36 PM

Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, can't you all just not spam..is there any way we can make you all see this is a serious topic?

* Sunshine suggests to move Chris'es post to forum and website and to delete all the spam inhere...*sigh*

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pr0xY on 04-21-2005 at 06:43 PM

I dont know if any of you have really realized how many good helping members haven't been as active on the forums because of the spam.  Here's a quick list of who I notest. 

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Jhrono on 04-21-2005 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY

I dont know if any of you have really realized how many people haven't been as active on the forums because of the spam.  Here's a quick list of who I notest. 

dom.
tehGspider
CookieRevised
fluffy_lobster
bach_m
Johnny_Mac
billywoods1
lylesback2
NoName

Add me to that list i'm next...
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Millenium_edition on 04-21-2005 at 06:47 PM

quote:
I dont know if any of you have really realized how many people haven't been as active on the forums because of the spam.  Here's a quick list of who I notest. 

dom.
tehGspider
CookieRevised
fluffy_lobster
bach_m
Johnny_Mac
billywoods1
lylesback2
NoName
crap. those people didn't leave for "this new generation" (except cookie)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by user27089 on 04-21-2005 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
bach_m

Not true... Bach_M left because he "got a life"...I think that's what he said :).
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pr0xY on 04-21-2005 at 06:55 PM

Cookie's the only one that spoke out about it.  2 Months ago I was considering leaving because I saw that this forum wasn't what it was when I joined, and I didn't feel that I could help anyone or learn from anyone here because of the spam.  But I stayed... :)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by WDZ on 04-21-2005 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
* Sunshine suggests to move Chris'es post to forum and website and to delete all the spam inhere...*sigh*
* WDZ cleaned it up a bit and moved it... if there's still spam in here you can report it...
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Sunshine on 04-21-2005 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Cookie's the only one that spoke out about it.  2 Months ago I was considering leaving because I saw that this forum wasn't what it was when I joined, and I didn't feel that I could help anyone or learn from anyone here because of the spam.  But I stayed... :)
I've noticed forums going down for quite a while now, Cookie's absense made me decide to speak up about it and try to sort it out, see Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!! (i edited later on after talking about it with Cookie on MSNM..i said he could post his rant, he told me i could edit my post and tell he feels the same..so now that post comes from the both of us).
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
* WDZ cleaned it up a bit and moved it... if there's still spam in here you can report it...
Thank you :)

RE: RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Supersonicdarky on 04-21-2005 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
Indeed. "People won't have anywhere to post their spam!" - don't spam at all then? If you must spam then just type it into a notepad file and then delete it. Post it on your website. Do anything but make others have to sort through your total crap to get to useful stuff!

I can make a forum especially made for spam, people can spam there, and post useful things here...8-)

[edit] The only bad thing is that it might promote spamming in other forums [/edit]
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by lizard.boy on 04-21-2005 at 08:27 PM

i'm just wondering does patchou ever update the faq on the msgplus website? maybe adding a link to that to draw attention to the faq would be a good idea and maybe stop some people from regesting, and ending up spamming with repedative questions.

RE: RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Supersonicdarky on 04-21-2005 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i'm just wondering does patchou ever update the faq on the msgplus website? maybe adding a link to that to draw attention to the faq would be a good idea and maybe stop some people from regesting, and ending up spamming with repedative questions.

It would be better, when people are regestering, they have to view the rules before being allowed to post, they also should have to stay on it for atleast 30 seconds and not being able to skip it
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pipish on 04-21-2005 at 11:42 PM

* Pipish was expecting this sort of post from surfi soon

tbh i think that th newer generation of members need to be tought of the rules about half way sort of through the time i was here we had a major crackdown on rules ect. i even spoke to surfi personally on my own behaviour and was given a rude awakining he realy got through to me and i felt like i had to be good and not spam

if anyone of you feel like you are treated as a spammer do not consult an admin as i did (i was only little at 11) but read the rules about three or four times all of it and memorise it and when you are about to make a post think

1. is this post useful/helpful
2. is it worded correctly and not abreveated ect.
3. do not just make silly posts containg emotions and 1 word
4.no flaming bagging ect.

thats my input on the situation

(that might not make much scence to people but sorry i am not the best of speller :) )

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Snake on 04-22-2005 at 01:35 AM

Realy... I have stopped coming to the MsgPlus web site because of the spam and all the bad help you get there are more fights and it's just not fun as it used to be... If you look in this thread alone there is more spam then any sort of point to half of what people have posted. It's just point less!:@

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pr0xY on 04-22-2005 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snake1131
If you look in this thread alone there is more spam then any sort of point to half of what people have posted. It's just point less!:@
umm... I beg to differ.  This thread has no spam at all.  I read every post, and they all have something good to say, accept yours.  If you think the thread is spam, report it.  :D

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Fredzz on 04-22-2005 at 03:26 AM

well thats very nice, i dont know why the forums are sucking.. i give a negative rep point to someone, and few hours later, the rep is removed.. what?  i cant vote negative on a "powerful" member? .. few days ago, he had 2 or 3 negative reps.. now its all positive.. Why do you make an option to choose +1 or -1? let it be only plus ,knowing that if we vote negative it will be removed.. this forum is crap! something should be done!

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by surfichris on 04-22-2005 at 03:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredzz
well thats very nice, i dont know why the forums are sucking.. i give a negative rep point to someone, and few hours later, the rep is removed.. what?  i cant vote negative on a "powerful" member? .. few days ago, he had 2 or 3 negative reps.. now its all positive.. Why do you make an option to choose +1 or -1? let it be only plus ,knowing that if we vote negative it will be removed
Your reputation was removed because it was not a valid reason to give one!
quote:
this forum is crap! something should be done!
Thats good, you say that and you don't back it up with how or what is wrong.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by WDZ on 04-22-2005 at 03:46 AM

quote:
i give a negative rep point to someone, and few hours later, the rep is removed.. what?
Have you read the guidelines?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=42505

I can't say why your vote was removed, because I don't know which one you're talking about, and now I'm not the only admin who deletes them.
quote:
i cant vote negative on a "powerful" member?
It's fine if you give a negative rep to a staff member. The same guidelines apply for everyone.
quote:
knowing that if we vote negative it will be removed
Are you kidding? FYI, there are about 500 negative votes in the database right now. I know that's quite a bit less than the number of positives, but only because people tend to give more positive than negative. Please, don't make accusations when you obviously don't know what you're talking about. :-/
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Hank on 04-22-2005 at 05:22 AM

quote:

totally agree with you Chris. specially bout the Spammers ,  an the USE or over-use of the T&T area , the forums have been somehat disgusting to say the lease,
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by RaceProUK on 04-22-2005 at 09:20 AM

quote:

Go Chris!
I agree there needs to be a crackdown on spammers and general unhelpful members. Intruiging that I've been more active recently though... however, if this downward trend continues, I will just call it a day. I changed my e-mail account several months back to get away from spam e-mails - I don't want to have to leave a forum for the same reason.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-22-2005 at 10:57 AM

Now a days many ppl are fighting as to who is spamming ... one blames the other and the other starts arguing.
Please .... stop fighting all of u. Spam is extremely irritating .... but ppl fighting about who is spamming is worse .... some ppl have been on the edge recently and fight at the drop of the hat ..... ok there is a lot of probs n all ... im as disgusted and dissapointed with these problems as the next guy but can we just please stop arguing and get on with the normal forum work and by that i mean helping
I totally agree with the plan surfi has adopted .... u spam u get a warning .... do it again and ur banned cause this never seems to end .... To see ppl arguing is as irritating as seeing spam ...
Can we stop making such spam threads (there have been many) and get on with our work.
And oh yeah .... all of us know what to do now ... its been said by a million ppl a million times. No spam posts, help, stay on topic, be nice to other members, if u dont know the answer then dont post there etc .... why r we still arguing and not starting to do that ?
And dont flame me ... this is what i feel

And surfi .... u said that there are a lot of reported posts and u hate to attend to them when u come here to read posts where ur help is reqd. Ok i agree but there are 9 ppl who can do this (4 admin and 5 super mods) Patchou aint here atm ... so thats 8 ppl to do all that work. If u want u could in that case have a temp / perma   mod / super mod for T&T and Gcc / all forums.
I know that Ya'll are not recruiting neone atm but thats just an idea.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Anubis on 04-22-2005 at 03:32 PM

quote:
And surfi .... u said that there are a lot of reported posts and u hate to attend to them when u come here to read posts where ur help is reqd. Ok i agree but there are 9 ppl who can do this (4 admin and 5 super mods) Patchou aint here atm ... so thats 8 ppl to do all that work. If u want u could in that case have a temp / perma   mod / super mod for T&T and Gcc / all forums.

I kind of agree to you to a point there. The forum is growing a lot and there hasn't been any new members of the forum staff added, often I come on and no moderators or admins are online. By adding about five respectable and active members to be super moderators. I would believe that we could really cut back on all the crappy threads and spam posts. It's a very simple approach to getting rid of all the growing crap posts and threads in the forum, but it may be effective.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by WDZ on 04-22-2005 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
By adding about five respectable and active members to be super moderators.
FIVE? :|

quote:
I would believe that we could really cut back on all the crappy threads and spam posts.
Yeah, but with so many mods, all with their own opinions and decisions, they probably wouldn't communicate well with each other, and it would be a big mess. Think about it: if only one mod thinks an action should be taken, it will be taken, even if nobody else agrees.

And adding new mods is a huge deal (to me anyway)...
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Anubis on 04-22-2005 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

FIVE?
Five of the most active members would mean that there would most likely be a mod online at nearly all times. If there's a load of spam constantly coming, and a ton of crappy posts it would stop it building up. Johnny_Mac, rarely comes anywhere near here any more, and the forum is getting a lot bigger, and quickly. We really need more moderators, not less!

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
all with their own opinions and decisions, they probably wouldn't communicate well with each other, and it would be a big mess
Most forum members have the same opinions on what is spam and what isn't spam. As long as the members are chosen carefully, I think it could work.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The way the spam and floods of new members is going, it could be do or let the forum die.
There's a lot of decent members that could easily be mods and would do the job well. With little hassle and causes of problems. For example I believe that Sunshine would be a great moderator.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pr0xY on 04-22-2005 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well Anubis just gave you a great idea, and your shooting it down because your lazy.  Do you even care about this forum anymore? Christ...
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Joa on 04-22-2005 at 05:07 PM

quote:
The way the spam and floods of new members is going, it could be do or let the forum die.
There's a lot of decent members that could easily be mods and would do the job well. With little hassle and causes of problems. For example I believe that Sunshine would be a great moderator.

i agree that sunshine would make a great mod :happy: and that there are also other members who are very mature and ideal for this job here. but, i agree with WDZ as well, because it is a big deal. u can't just make anybody a moderator... i think that all the current mods, if they think this would be a good idea, should really talk it over. i don't think this will be very easy. besides, who knows if the people we see fit for those positions, actually would want to be mods anyway?

this is a very big deal.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by WDZ on 04-22-2005 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Well Anubis just gave you a great idea, and your shooting it down because your lazy.
No, I didn't shoot it down, and I'm not being lazy.

I want to discuss it before doing anything, because like I said, it's a huge deal.
quote:
Do you even care about this forum anymore?
Of course I do. I've been a member for over 3 years, and I spend many hours here every single day, even when I should be using that time to get more important work done. And if I didn't care, I don't think I'd even be replying to this thread.
quote:
For example I believe that Sunshine would be a great moderator.
Yep, I agree, probably one of the first choices.
quote:
Originally posted by Joa
u can't just make anybody a moderator... i think that all the current mods, if they think this would be a good idea, should really talk it over.
Yeah, we will.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pr0xY on 04-22-2005 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
should really talk it over.
I think that is a must.  If they did it, they would handle the whole thing the same way they do picking Elite Members, only with more requirements.

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
u can't just make anybody a moderator...
Obviously... :P

They wouldn't just pick random members...

Like Anubis said...
quote:
By adding about five respectable and active members

If they added a couple more mods, I would bet they would choose the more active out of the Elite Members. 
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by user27089 on 04-22-2005 at 05:21 PM

It would probably most likely be the more respected members... somebody from irc most likely...

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by wj on 04-22-2005 at 05:33 PM

We wont be making our decessions based on a users IRC activity.

Now, We'll begin the Messenger Plus! Forums Moderator Selection Conclave. Same rules as the selection of the pope, Watch for white smoke from the forum server, If it's black smoke coming from the server, Please call the fire department.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by RaceProUK on 04-22-2005 at 05:34 PM

No chance of me becoming a mod then? :P
Seriously, I think there are more appropriate choices than me anyway, like Sunshine for instance.

quote:
Originally posted by wj
If it's black smoke coming from the server, Please call the fire department.
* RaceProUK looks out the window for the smoke column
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by toddy on 04-22-2005 at 05:36 PM

i'll be the new mod (A)(A)

lol, more chance of me wining the lottery (and i don't even play)

should have a public vote tho. not just a vote by staff/elite

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by wj on 04-22-2005 at 05:45 PM

It will be a Private mod/admin choice. Elites will have NO say in the final choice an elite member may be in the runnings.

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-22-2005 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddler
No public vote imo ... just a private vote is best ... thats what i had tht while proposing this idea .... seeing the reactions .... the prospects of a new smod is high :)
Update:
Sunshine is an awesome choice imo ... she has a gr8 view point is highly respected and extremely helpful. :)
Anubis said that we should have 5 more mods 8-)
I was thinking more like 3 and then we should have 3 new elites :)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by x2zen on 04-22-2005 at 06:03 PM

We are getting new mods :D
Thats good

* x2zen remembers when Tochjo became one

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Joa on 04-22-2005 at 06:07 PM

when do you think the new mods will get chosen? :o

quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
* A. Madsen remembers when Tochjo became one
YAY! i'll get to have a memory of some mod(s) getting chosen too! :cheesy:
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-22-2005 at 06:08 PM

Update to my post above .... ^^^^ if anyone missed it ... :)
Ill delete it prolly in some time :) else u can report it :)

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Anubis on 04-22-2005 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddler
I disagree totally. The staff members have the best idea on how the forum is ran and the public may vote purely based on bad decisions.

Also, before it starts, please don't start begging to be the new moderator. I doubt the staff will listen to you anyway.And just by saying "I want to be the next mod" you're just proving not being staff material. Being a super moderator is just to help out the community, not just a position to "have".
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-22-2005 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Also, before it starts, please don't start begging to be the new moderator. I doubt the staff will listen to you anyway.And just by saying "I want to be the next mod" you're just proving not being staff material. Being a super moderator is just to help out the community, not just a position to "have".
Absolutely .... and btw ... the new mods will most prolly be elites ... so i was just wondering if there are gonna be new ones ^o)
I'm not asking to be one ... i'm just asking wether there will be new ones
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by WDZ on 04-22-2005 at 06:23 PM

quote:
the new mods will most prolly be elites
Yeah, probably.
quote:
so i was just wondering if there are gonna be new ones
Maybe, maybe not. Think we have that planned already? O_o
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by squall_leonhart69r on 04-23-2005 at 03:03 AM

:| im more useful on a hardware and tech support site

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Concord Dawn on 04-23-2005 at 03:15 AM

* Concord Dawn wants a movie to be made "The Forum Wars" :P

Honestly, I completely agree, which is why I'ved cleaned my act up in the last week or so. I'm really getting sick of all the people on here who spam just for the sake of it. I don't believe in this "new generation" bull. It's some of the older members who do it to, and that's how the newer members see the boards, as a place where they can be accepted due to a high post count or high rep. Then you get complete fags like Stephan who has to register three accounts in order to find out that rep begging is bad. Here's a cheers to you, Boulton, and also a promise. I promise to immediately report all bad posts. I know that's probably going to increase your workload a smidge, but in the long run, it's worth it. All of the forum members should be working towards a clean forum, not a completely trashy one where incomplete and possibly dangerous answers are given (e.g. the "Speed up Windows by Disabling Services" post). Let's all work towards a better Plus! community. We owe it to the admins for setting up and maintaining this server, the mods and elites for all their hard work, and we owe it to Patchou, the creator of the best MSN Messenger addon in history!

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by surfichris on 04-23-2005 at 03:32 AM

Okay..

1. Don't bother asking or questioning if you will become a mod. It' pointless and we'll just say no.

2. We only really need 1 maybe 2 more moderators.

3. Don't make out like it is a problem with staffing either.We have a more than adequate moderation team already and we can cope with anything. It is the members who need to get their act together.

4. The main problems I was talking about in regards to reported posts are some times spam, easily dealt with. Alot of it these days are things like "flaming" "being disrespectful" and things like that. A new moderator won't help solve that.

I had more points, but I forgot them :-$

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Purity on 04-23-2005 at 05:20 AM

I agree, we need another mod, there isn't always an admin or a mod online either but that's not the biggest deal....

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by DJeX on 04-23-2005 at 05:50 AM

quote:
I dont know if any of you have really realized how many good helping members haven't been as active on the forums because of the spam.  Here's a quick list of who I notest. 

Add me too.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by John Anderton on 04-23-2005 at 06:57 AM

quote:

Okay..

1. Don't bother asking or questioning if you will become a mod. It' pointless and we'll just say no.

3. Don't make out like it is a problem with staffing either.We have a more than adequate moderation team already and we can cope with anything. It is the members who need to get their act together.

4. The main problems I was talking about in regards to reported posts are some times spam, easily dealt with. Alot of it these days are things like "flaming" "being disrespectful" and things like that. A new moderator won't help solve that.

I had more points, but I forgot them
I know that a new mod/mods wont solve the problems but i suggested the idea as it may make the load less on the existing ones. Cause u had said that it was very irritating. Yes ppl do need to clean up their act but new mods will make the work easier for all staff members as work per head decreases and as most of the time if there is 1 mod online then the work that others have to do when they come online would be less :)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Hank on 04-23-2005 at 07:31 AM

quote:
lylesback2

i seen him on the Neowin Foriums i htink
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Chestah on 04-23-2005 at 07:40 AM

I'm not sure if a new mod would solve many problems at all =/
The community has to be educated, it just takes the fun away if you have to start being nasty to enforce the rules. I know theres always going to be a few users that don't but lets hope thats a minority in the future.

RE: RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Hank on 04-23-2005 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
The community has to be educated, it just takes the fun away if you have to start being nasty to enforce the rules. I know theres always going to be a few users that don't but lets hope thats a minority in the future.

i think we need 1 or 2 new Mods .. dont see many aound here now like Chrono, not that i see hiom around much anymore  as i did before when i first started using these forums ,,
RE: RE: RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by BEWARE^^ on 04-23-2005 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demz
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah

i think we need 1 or 2 new Mods .. dont see many aound here now like Chrono, not that i see hiom around much anymore  as i did before when i first started using these forums ,,

maybe some of the mods have other things to do then staying arround here maybe they are concentrating on there work that they wanna do later i dunno ;)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Anubis on 04-23-2005 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^

maybe some of the mods have other things to do then staying arround here maybe they are concentrating on there work that they wanna do later

We all appreciate that they may have other things to do than be here, however we also still need moderators to try and moderate the forum, especially as an insurance policy since the forum seems to have spouts of new members who maybe require a little damage limitation.
RE: RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by BEWARE^^ on 04-23-2005 at 09:33 AM

quote:
quote:

maybe some of the mods have other things to do then staying arround here maybe they are concentrating on there work that they wanna do later

We all appreciate that they may have other things to do than be here, however we also still need moderators to try and moderate the forum, especially as an insurance policy since the forum seems to have spouts of new members who maybe require a little damage limitation.

yea okay but then the staff must deside who is gonna be those mods and untill then i think it will be like this :)
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Hank on 04-23-2005 at 09:59 AM

quote:
maybe some of the mods have other things to do then staying arround here maybe they are concentrating on there work that they wanna do later i dunno

As Anubis said, we still need Mods/ More of them, damage control etc,  i dont see many on here anymore ,
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by EvilSeph on 04-23-2005 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Okay..

I had more points, but I forgot them :-$

Ah fishy, the forgetful one ;). My attitude towards people asking for anything is: "Ask and you shall not get." (this is mainly in resposne to people asking for moderator positions or anything of that nature). Adopt it guys, it's rather effective.

Well, like I said - more staff would help, but isn't necessarily needed. What is needed is for the members to grow up and stop spamming. After browsing these forums for the past few days, what I've noticed is that we've already got a great community. With threads about how to talk to girls and people asking for support (not Messenger related), it's quite evident that this community is doing just fine. It's the help aspect of it all and how organised the forums are that matters. With spam in most topics, it's hard to provide help as most people usually only help in topics that haven't been answered. And with the growing amount of spam, incorrect support and incomplete support, this technique proves to be no longer effective. It's not easy helping on these forums when you are limited by the amount of time you can spend providing support. In the summer for most, that's a completely different story. But why should helping just step up in the summer? Why can't it be all-year round? If you're thinking it can't, then you're wrong. All we need to do is work towards improving the quality of help on these forums, together, as a community.

But as others have put it, most notably Menthix, talking only does so little. We need to stop talking about this problem and actual start doing something about it.
RE: RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by GiantSpider on 04-23-2005 at 04:50 PM

quote:

Ok so people would like to deny that I left vecause of this new generation. Well it is infact rather true but I don't think there is alot that can be done but there you go. And it's also nice to be noted as a good helper without having to actually point it out.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Pipish on 04-24-2005 at 08:23 AM

i semi agree with you gs as much as i hate to admit it the newer generation is taking over in a bad way they just need to be educated though i think with education of the rules ect this place will be much better and way less spammy

RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by Anubis on 04-24-2005 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish

i semi agree with you gs as much as i hate to admit it the newer generation is taking over in a bad way they just need to be educated though i think with education of the rules ect this place will be much better and way less spammy

At the same time, they are getting better; every new generation had its problems until they managed to fit in perfectly. Just because there are a lot of newer members this time it just seems a bigger problem.
It's just a matter of being patient and guiding them rightly. A nice friendly PM with hints and tips works perfectly on most, they take it and work from it, without flaming.
RE: Okay.. Pissed off me by CookieRevised on 04-25-2005 at 02:58 PM

Let's make 1 thing clear...

It is very logical and normal that the "new generation" makes mistakes. That was/is not the problem and not my reason to leave.

My frustration grew out of the regulars/'full members' who behave in a bad way, not the "new generation"...