Shoutbox

Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card (/showthread.php?tid=43463)

Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card by TheGeek on 04-23-2005 at 10:42 AM

Hello everyone,

I've tried MSN Spaces but I don't really like it, but MSN Spaces is the only way to display data on your contact card.
So I was wondering if its possible to put data on it from WordPress...

I think the contact card is sent from the client because they don't seem to work when the contact is offline, so this should be possible...
(Correct me if i'm wrong)

What do you guys think?

RE: Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card by aNILEator on 04-23-2005 at 11:53 AM

I was asking for something similar to this

I think it would be very handy and word press and other blogging systems are alot simpler and easier to work with i believe, Either way they look alot better organized than a msn spaces blog :)

RE: Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card by Anubis on 04-23-2005 at 12:11 PM

Due to the way your contact's MSN Messenger client gets the information for your contact card there wouldn't be any way to get the information from WordPress to be sent to the contact's MSN Messenger client.

Basically the data that comes from your space onto the contact card is stored on an MSN server, and can be accessed when you're even offline. Therefore you can't modify any settings on your computer to get the information to the contact.

You'd have to effectively hack (not in a bad way, I mean code tricks that are legal and safe) to withdraw the information for the blog from WordPress, which I'm sure isn't possible. Also you'd have to have it set up so when your contact accessed the MSN space it would get redirected immediately to the WordPress one. The auto-redirection would be easier to do, but I'm sure MSN would have ways to stop this from being allowed (for security reasons).

RE: Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card by TheGeek on 04-23-2005 at 03:35 PM

Hmmm, there's a feature to update MSN Spaces with mail, right?
So you could make a plugin for WP that sends a mail(with the posts content) to MSN Spaces every time you add a post to your blog, that way, the contact card would be updated frequently.

The only problem is when the contact tries to open your site, you would need some kind of redirection code, which probably is impossible...

RE: Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card by John Anderton on 05-27-2005 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheGeek

So you could make a plugin for WP that sends a mail(with the posts content) to MSN Spaces every time you add a post to your blog, that way, the contact card would be updated frequently.
Good Idea but
quote:
The only problem is when the contact tries to open your site, you would need some kind of redirection code, which probably is impossible...
Thats the problem which cant be solved .... wel automatic redirection aint possible as u cant add any script :)
RE: RE: Suggestion: WordPress data on contact card by TheGeek on 05-27-2005 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

Good Idea but
quote:
Thats the problem which cant be solved .... wel automatic redirection aint possible as u cant add any script :)

I put a big notice on the site that they're not viewing the main site.
I think that should help...