Shoutbox

Is there a way to delete Windows? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Is there a way to delete Windows? (/showthread.php?tid=43480)

Is there a way to delete Windows? by albert on 04-23-2005 at 02:50 PM

hey for the ppl how helpd me out yesterday with partitions, well i kinda changed my mind.. I have now 2 drive.. C: (35GB) n I: (5GB) but what I thought about was to install windows on I: so I can keep all my games/music files..

now 2 questions :

Is 4 GB enough to install Windows On?
How can I delete Windows from C: ?

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Chris4 on 04-23-2005 at 02:53 PM

What version of Windows? Windows XP?

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by albert on 04-23-2005 at 03:00 PM

yes Windowx Xp Pro

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by John Anderton on 04-23-2005 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
For 98 ok ... but not enough space for anything like programs ... that ought to be in another drive :P
for xp .... no way. I gave it (c drive) 9 gb and thats proving less :undecided: I have 700 - 900 mb left in c drinve :( I install my new programs in d drive now cause the remaining 3 drives have 6 - 7 gb each. (40 gb hd in total)
RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by albert on 04-23-2005 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
For 98 ok ... but not enough space for anything like programs ... that ought to be in another drive :P
for xp .... no way. I gave it (c drive) 9 gb and thats proving less :undecided: I have 700 - 900 mb left in c drinve :( I install my new programs in d drive now cause the remaining 3 drives have 6 - 7 gb each. (40 gb hd in total)

well that's what I wanna do.. install my files on drive C: wich has 35GB, I just wanna keep windows on I: (4GB) so I can reformat if I get any problems

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by The Napster on 04-23-2005 at 03:17 PM

Windows XP needs abou 8Gigs min i think. 6GB for 2000...

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by lizard.boy on 04-23-2005 at 03:18 PM

if you install windows to your 5 gb partition your gonna be installing alll your software to your other drives. as it sits now my c:/ is ~14 gb.
i'm not saying yours will be that big, but its definatly not gonna work on a 5 gb drive.

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by albert on 04-23-2005 at 03:21 PM

aight thx a lot everyone, appreciate your fast answers :)

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Anubis on 04-23-2005 at 03:32 PM

You can get away easily with installing Windows XP Professional and only use 1.5 GB, a 4gb one will do, but install most games and programs (apart from stuff like Office and things like that a little will do) onto drive I:\.

quote:
How can I delete Windows from C: ?

The simple no hassle approach is just to back up all your files onto removable storage, and totally wipe the C: partition. Then you have two blank partitions to install Windows XP on, as you said install it on the I:\ one. Then after the install, dump all the old backed up files onto C:\.
RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Garndell on 04-23-2005 at 07:17 PM

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

As you can see 4GB is plenty Windows.

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Chris4 on 04-23-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
Windows XP needs abou 8Gigs min i think.

Option A or Option B :P Big different. hmm.. who to bileave..
RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Dane on 04-23-2005 at 07:50 PM

If you have LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 128MB of RAM, XP will be really slow for you because it will have to use the paging file a LOT.  Just a warning.

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Anubis on 04-23-2005 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
Big different. hmm.. who to bileave..
believe 1.5gb, the offical ammount stated by Microsoft.
RE: RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by user2319 on 04-23-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by chris4
Big different. hmm.. who to bileave..
believe 1.5gb, the offical ammount stated by Microsoft.

Yep, and it runs on a celeron 233 Mhz. Uh-huh. Yeah, sure does.

Never believe the "minimum specs" stated by commercial software vendors. The 8 GB thing is non-sense though
RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Anubis on 04-23-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan

Never believe the "minimum specs" stated by commercial software vendors.
On the contrary, I would recommend you do.
There may be able to use loopholes to stay out of trouble and give slightly higher specifications than are needed, but usually, they are about right. For example if you go into a store and buy a game that works on a 800mhz processor, it won't work on a 500mhz processor. Most of the time, you can scape under the minimum specs, but not by a ton, and the software isn't as smooth and good.
RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by user2319 on 04-23-2005 at 09:07 PM

Anubis, have you ever tried a game with "minimum 800 mhz" on your 800 mhz PC? I bet it will run uber-slow :P

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by RaceProUK on 04-23-2005 at 09:40 PM

Minimums are just that: minimum. If you want a good idea of whether something will run at a decent speed, look at the Recommended specs. This is what you could call the 'true minimum' i.e. running at consistent speed (not necessarily fast: that's what Athlon 64s are for).

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by lizard.boy on 04-24-2005 at 12:18 AM

installing xp on a 4 gb drive is definaatly not reccommended for anyone trying to do anything. its not so much the os your worrying about, but the software you install. (example, office 2003, 500 mb)

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Anubis on 04-24-2005 at 07:23 AM

quote:

Yep, and it runs on a celeron 233 Mhz. Uh-huh. Yeah, sure does.

Notice the word required. Microsoft will tell you specifications where the software will work, but yes it may be extremely slow, but it will work.

quote:

Anubis, have you ever tried a game with "minimum 800 mhz" on your 800 mhz PC? I bet it will run uber-slow

Not on my PC, but indeed on someone else's. And indeed it can be a little slow, however the fact is that it does work, just little slow in parts like loading and high detailed conditions.

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

installing xp on a 4 gb drive is definaatly not reccommended for anyone trying to do anything. its not so much the os your worrying about, but the software you install. (example, office 2003, 500 mb)

If he just installs the basics that he needs, like Office and the programs that are just the essentials (AV and Firewall, MSN Messenger and trivial tit-bits like that). He should use only about 3gb. The rest of his stuff (games, music, video, documents ect.) could be installed onto drive I:\ and it would fit.

However your partition sizes are a little weird, imo. They will work but there's no extra safety room. I would have split your 40GB hard drive into a 10gb and a 30gb, just for safety, but it is your choice.
RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by squall_leonhart69r on 04-24-2005 at 03:00 PM

:| Xp can be installed on a 4gb drive

all you have to do is switch the page file off or onto the other drive

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Fergy on 04-24-2005 at 04:43 PM

Windows XP needs a minimum of a Pentium processor *any kind* to install

Keyword: Install

So dont go trying to install windows xp on your 486's kids

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by mad_onion on 04-24-2005 at 04:58 PM

yes of course it will fit. you will have to put everythnig else on another drive though which is what you have said you would do. i dont know where people get 8Gb from. :S

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by RaceProUK on 04-24-2005 at 07:13 PM

Just because Windows takes up about 3GB doesn't mean all you need for the Windows drive is 3GB. You'd be amazed at just how much is put in the 'Windows', 'Documents and Settings' and 'Program Files' folders.
I would say a good workable partition is at least 5GB, going up to 10 if you plan to install a number of programs.

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Mike on 04-25-2005 at 07:18 AM

Just wondering, because we will probably format our HDD soon...

Won't 5 GB do for installing windows XP professional?
I mean, install windows on that partion and install everything else on another partion...
And also point the folder "My Documents" to be on the other partion
Won't this work?

My windows folder currently uses 3.21 GB ...
So, I think that 5 GBs will work...

Kinda off-topic:

Why should I use partions?
The only thing I can think about is organasing...

I can't think anything else...
Is there more speed or something?

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by ddunk on 04-25-2005 at 07:21 AM

I had XP installed a a 5Gb partition and everything else on my other 32, that worked perfectly fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Why should I use partions?
The only thing I can think about is organasing...

I can't think anything else...
Is there more speed or something?

You can format partitions seperatly, so if you wanted, you could format your Windows only partition to reinstall, or format your programs partition and keep Windows.

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Chestah on 04-25-2005 at 07:26 AM

The only bummer is that if you format your programs partition all the registry keys etc will still be in your windows installation.

Vice versa: If you format windows then some apps won't work because their registry keys are gone :P

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by squall_leonhart69r on 04-25-2005 at 09:27 AM

thats easily fixed chestah

use the microsoft backup utility and back up the system state

this backs up the systems registry and current states including boot files and driver settings and such :P

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by ShawnZ on 04-25-2005 at 02:28 PM

Heres a suggestion:

Create three partitions, one for swap, one for windows, and a final for everything else

Then use a registry patch to get windows to use the other drives as its Program Folders Dir and Profiles Dir drive and such. (I could make a patch like that if you wish)

RE: Is there a way to delete Windows? by Hank on 04-25-2005 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

You can get away easily with installing Windows XP Professional and only use 1.5 GB

Maybe if you strip it naked you prolly could