Shoutbox

Computer half turning off - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Computer half turning off (/showthread.php?tid=43525)

Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-24-2005 at 05:11 AM

So, im just kinda pissed off right now so if this post doesnt contain everything you need to help me then im sorry. But, nearly every night when i start a song or i start something up or sometimes even not my computer just shuts down. It doesnt totally turn off, because i can still hear my fan running and the orange light in the front is still on. SO i dunno what it is. Also, when i put my computer in standby it doesnt come out when i move my mouse even if i set it to that, so that's stupid too. any help? and just ask for what information you need.

edit: and im pretty sure it isn't over heating. :\

RE: Computer half turning off by Ahmad on 04-24-2005 at 06:05 AM

hmm.. could be a power source problem? make sure your power supply has enough power for everything in your case, and make sure all the power cords are connected properly, especially to the motherboard..

RE: Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-24-2005 at 06:08 AM

hm, i'll take my case off tomorrow and check around and give it a cleaning 8-)

RE: Computer half turning off by matty on 04-24-2005 at 06:09 AM

For your mouse not being able to bring your PC out of standby do the following.

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Mouse and Other pointing Devices > Right Click Mouse > Properties > Power Management > Check off Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

For the other problem try this to see if your PC will blue screen afterwards.

Right Click My Computer > Advanced > Settings (For Startup and Recovery) > Uncheck Automatically Restart > Hit apply and so on.

RE: Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-24-2005 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Right Click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Mouse and Other pointing Devices > Right Click Mouse > Properties > Power Management > Check off Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

it's checked :\

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
For the other problem try this to see if your PC will blue screen afterwards.

Right Click My Computer > Advanced > Settings (For Startup and Recovery) > Uncheck Automatically Restart > Hit apply and so on.
blue screen? i did that and apply was unable to be clicked..but i dont think that's a huge problem
RE: Computer half turning off by DJeX on 04-24-2005 at 06:48 AM

May be a motherboard prob. How old is your comp?

RE: Computer half turning off by Fergy on 04-24-2005 at 07:25 AM

also check these settings in your computer BIOS, theyre usually called wake on mouse, or something similar to that.

RE: Computer half turning off by Jhrono on 04-24-2005 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad

hmm.. could be a power source problem? make sure your power supply has enough power for everything in your case, and make sure all the power cords are connected properly, especially to the motherboard..

Do what aahmad said...some time ago my fan and my dvd drive stoped working and i verified the cables and it went fine...
RE: Computer half turning off by Pyroteq on 04-24-2005 at 12:54 PM

I see people with this problem all the time.
Its usually somthing to do with the PSU or some power connection.

Firstly check all your power cords (Pull the out, plug them in again)
Then if that dosnt help use an alternate source
(e.g once i had a Processor fan that was drawing the power, so i switched it from the CPU FAN port on the motherboard to SYS FAN and it worked fine.) I also fixed a machine that it was the cd drive drawing it and i just needed to unplug the molex (power connector) and replug it in.

So yeah try all that and give stuff a clean, id say thats what it is.

RE: Computer half turning off by surfichris on 04-24-2005 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
Doubt it.
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX

May be a motherboard prob. How old is your comp?
Doubt it.
quote:
Originally posted by Fergy

also check these settings in your computer BIOS, theyre usually called wake on mouse, or something similar to that.
That is to wake your computer up when it's completely turned off.

We've established here the PC is currently either in sleep mode, or it could be an overheating problem (even though you dont think it is mar)

Okay, a few more questions/ideas (that are reasonable).

1/ Do you have a wireless keyboard? Sometimes (especially on Belkin/Microsoft ones) when the batteries are running really low they tend to like to hit the "sleep" button by themselves. Don't ask me why.

2/ In your BIOS, check through the menu's and you should find settings regarding to CPU power off and temperature settings. Check the temperature they're set to and what they're set to do, ie sometimes you can select if you want it to beep or just power off. Also check in the BIOS the running temperature of the CPU and the RPM of the CPU fan (speed).

3/ What happens (when it is in standby mode) and you push the power button? It should theoretically, if it is in standby mode, power the computer back up from standby mode - if you have a "soft" power button (which i'm assuming you do). Don't hold it in like you do to force the computer to turn off, just push it in once.
RE: Computer half turning off by squall_leonhart69r on 04-24-2005 at 02:31 PM

this is a very common problem

what is happening is when the computer attempts to load data onto the soundcard it forces itself into a lowlevel mode to prevent hardware damage

it sounds like there is a problem either with the sound drivers or the sound card is dieing

i usd to get this with my SB-Live 5.1 when i was using Via hyperions 4.34 and lower on my Aopen AK73 pro a on a Via KT133a chipset

this is caused by a bug in the south bridge

the not coming out of standby i can possibly help you with

have you got use DPMS turned on in the bios

this is a monitor state mode and when some video cards switch to low power they cannot escape it

alot of suspend/standby mode problems are as a result of incorrect ACPI settings in the bios

firstly i would try updating your chipset and soundcard drivers to try to fix the system crash problem

RE: Computer half turning off by Pyroteq on 04-24-2005 at 04:21 PM

This can also be related to bios problems which can be fixed with a Bios update, but i strongly dont reccomend that.

RE: Computer half turning off by surfichris on 04-25-2005 at 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
This can also be related to bios problems which can be fixed with a Bios update, but i strongly dont reccomend that.
Err, bios updates these days are safe to do as long as you get the right bios for your machine (and some flashing programs wont let you flash your bios unless it matches the existing one)..
RE: Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-25-2005 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by johny

Do what aahmad said...some time ago my fan and my dvd drive stoped working and i verified the cables and it went fine...

my fan still runs though?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
1/ Do you have a wireless keyboard? Sometimes (especially on Belkin/Microsoft ones) when the batteries are running really low they tend to like to hit the "sleep" button by themselves. Don't ask me why.
I did, but i uninstalled the drivers a few days ago. This problem has been happening since i moved, and i had my wireless keyboard since christmas :\

quote:

2/ In your BIOS, check through the menu's and you should find settings regarding to CPU power off and temperature settings. Check the temperature they're set to and what they're set to do, ie sometimes you can select if you want it to beep or just power off. Also check in the BIOS the running temperature of the CPU and the RPM of the CPU fan (speed).
I was in BIOS today, but i'll have to check that again.
quote:
3/ What happens (when it is in standby mode) and you push the power button? It should theoretically, if it is in standby mode, power the computer back up from standby mode - if you have a "soft" power button (which i'm assuming you do). Don't hold it in like you do to force the computer to turn off, just push it in once.
I do have a "soft" power button, and usually nothing happens when i press it when in standby. I say usually because if it's fresh in standby it'll come back, if i leave it for a bit it doesnt do anything.
quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
what is happening is when the computer attempts to load data onto the soundcard it forces itself into a lowlevel mode to prevent hardware damage
This problem sometimes happens even i dont start to play a song.

Im confused how you guys are talking about my BIOS settings, because i havent touched my BIOS settings since i formatted my computer last summer. THat was just to change the way i format :\ (i used CDs)

I'm kinda thinking it could be that i mixed my cords up. I might be using my monitor to computer cord for my computer to power source cord.

yeah, im noob

Edit: so i read up on some of this and i guess dust is a big problem with computers shutting down from over heating. :\ Today i didnt get a chance to clean it fully, so i'll clean it and be back laterr.
RE: Computer half turning off by Hank on 04-25-2005 at 02:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa

Edit: so i read up on some of this and i guess dust is a big problem with computers shutting down from over heating

you dont use an Intel btw marissa? :refuck:
RE: Computer half turning off by Pyroteq on 04-25-2005 at 02:18 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Err, bios updates these days are safe to do as long as you get the right bios for your machine (and some flashing programs wont let you flash your bios unless it matches the existing one)..

I have evidence that prooves otherwise :p
RE: Computer half turning off by Hank on 04-25-2005 at 02:26 AM

i agree with Chris, BIOS updating is Pretty safe if you do it properly

RE: Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-25-2005 at 03:03 AM

K, so i cleaned my little fan thinger, and here are my results :p

it's gross :dodgy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/marissaok/dusty.jpg

RE: Computer half turning off by Chestah on 04-25-2005 at 03:06 AM

lol marissa, where do you keep your computer? You might need to take some more precautions in future to prevent damage to your components if you gather that much dust

RE: Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-25-2005 at 03:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
lol marissa, where do you keep your computer? You might need to take some more precautions in future to prevent damage to your components if you gather that much dust

I actually only cleaned that part for the first time tonight...heh. It's kinda against a wall on hardwood floor, so it cant be that bad :\
RE: Computer half turning off by Hank on 04-25-2005 at 03:11 AM

do u live on a Dirt Road Marissa where you live

RE: Computer half turning off by marissa on 04-25-2005 at 03:12 AM

no. It's not like i have my computer outside :p

RE: Computer half turning off by Hank on 04-25-2005 at 03:18 AM

No. is what i meant, if your House is near a Dirt road, cars going bak an forth on it can blow dust inside ur house, or underneath the floor boards . which can get tto your PC which gets dusty.

RE: Computer half turning off by squall_leonhart69r on 04-25-2005 at 05:54 AM

Marissa, the power cords for the monitor and tower are both the same

it doesn't matter what way they go

both are rated for 230/240v  (aussie voltages here :P)

don't worry marissa, i've reffered your issue and problems to the guys at NGOHQ and will get back to you when the boys reply