Shoutbox

election 05 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: election 05 (/showthread.php?tid=43572)

election 05 by saralk on 04-24-2005 at 07:08 PM

Who do you want to win the the UK elections this year?

I personally would like to see a hung government.

RE: election 05 by BEWARE^^ on 04-24-2005 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Who do you want to win the the UK elections this year?

I personally would like to see a hung government.

what election are you talking bout put the link in in :d so whe can choose who has to win the election ;)
RE: election 05 by *Saint* on 04-24-2005 at 07:15 PM

whats a hung gouvernment? is that like a minority gouvernment

RE: election 05 by Anubis on 04-24-2005 at 07:20 PM

I would like to see Labour get in for another four years, I trust Blair a lot more than Michael Howard and certainly a lot more than Charles Kennedy. Michael Howard has got flustered and sometimes acts rude to people who ask him questions to which he can't fully answer and Kennedy's plans seem to be a little unrealistic and to get rid of council tax is just a stupid way to get votes. Also in his broadcasts he just slags off the other parties with stupid comments, imo. Basically very few people trust the Lib Dems so they are just saying whatever they can to get in and not care about the country. Unlike the Lib Dems Blair seems relaxed, his plans are down to earth and his party have always been very open to discussion and never seem to get flustered or annoyed.

RE: election 05 by M73A on 04-24-2005 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
what election are you talking bout put the link in in :d so whe can choose who has to win the election ;)

a link? lol. its the general election..for prime minister....

theres a conspiracy theory because its on 05/05/05 like its Blair's lucky number or sum rubbish
RE: election 05 by saralk on 04-24-2005 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^

the UK election, i.e. voting for your local constituancy.

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
whats a hung gouvernment? is that like a minority gouvernment

A hung government is where the party in power is only in power because they got the more votes than any other parties, not because they had an overall majority. It means that any constitutions they try to pass will usually be voted against, and they party in power is humiliated for 4 years, during which the other governments can get their acts together and the elections 09 will have parties worth voting for.

RE: election 05 by RaceProUK on 04-24-2005 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
whats a hung gouvernment?
Hung Parliament (Wikipedia)
RE: election 05 by *Saint* on 04-24-2005 at 07:28 PM

ok ya thats we call a hung gouvernment in canada a Minority Gouvernment like we have now

RE: election 05 by musicalmidget on 04-24-2005 at 07:38 PM

I'm not sure who I'll be voting for if I get my voting papers in time.  I know it certainly wont be the conservative party, and I'm not too fond of Labour either.  That's mainly because of the tuition fee rubbish.

As someone who's about to go to uni, I'm going to be between £2,000-£6,000 in debt after my first year.  That's a lot, but is nothing compared to what it would be under Labour's new plan. :@

* musicalmidget hopes he's registered to vote in time...

RE: election 05 by GiantSpider on 04-24-2005 at 08:35 PM

I personally (althought I can't vote) believe that Labour should stay in power. I don't think that the Tory's idea of allmost abolishing immigration is clever. They obviously overlooked the fact that due to falling birth rates soon there won't be enough people paying taxes to sustain the amount of spending we are without rasing them. Also what right has a immigrint himself got to stop others coming to our country like he did? Sounds exceptionally hypocritical to me. And well the Lib Dem's have never been in power and allthough I like them more than the conservatives I think everyone else who likes them will also be voting Labour. What about the Monster Raving Looney Party's plan to make a 99p coin. I love those guys.

RE: election 05 by RaceProUK on 04-24-2005 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tehGspider
What about the Monster Raving Looney Party's plan to make a 99p coin. I love those guys.
:lol:
Shall we all vote for them, just so they can do that?
RE: election 05 by musicalmidget on 04-24-2005 at 09:35 PM

If a 99p coin was ever made we would start getting prices ending in 98p.  Apparently it's because that little bit of change makes many people think something is a lot cheaper than it really is.

That's never worked with me... :tongue:

RE: election 05 by RaceProUK on 04-24-2005 at 09:50 PM

Actually, it works because the first number is one less.
£4.99
£5.00
Since we read left-to-right, we see the '4' and the '5', and compare them. Therefore, the 1p-less price looks much cheaper than it is.

RE: election 05 by Vazza on 04-24-2005 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget

As someone who's about to go to uni, I'm going to be between £2,000-£6,000 in debt after my first year.  That's a lot, but is nothing compared to what it would be under Labour's new plan. :@

In first year? :o wow. I mean, I'm a student in Scotland so it don't think it affects me..... I'm hoping to be about £6000 in debt after 4 years

Anyway, Labour to win but Blair out Brown in. Gordon Brown is more in tune with the people of Britain. Blair's living on his own wee island. But there then the problem that there'd never be a Chancellor quite a good as Brown...Not going to matter anyway for me. Although I'm aged to vote someone <add word here> messed things up and some reason they think I'm voting in Aberdeen. Nothing else can possibly go wrong this year...and nothing can wrong this week as I'm on placement working with people......give me strength

RE: election 05 by Chris4 on 04-24-2005 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Actually, it works because the first number is one less.
£4.99
£5.00
Since we read left-to-right, we see the '4' and the '5', and compare them. Therefore, the 1p-less price looks much cheaper than it is.

Thats one reason. The other reason is that the person at the checkout has to put the money in the counter to give you the change. Say something was £5 they could stick the fiver in their pocket. If it's £4.99 they have to open the thing, put it in and get the change out :P

Back on topic...
I hate Tony Blair. He is such a liar. If you read the Newspapers, you will see why he should not be primeinister.
I personally want the concervatives to win. They promise to drop tax rates [i think]. Nice :P
RE: election 05 by GiantSpider on 04-25-2005 at 03:30 PM

The only things the torys will be doing is raising taxes. And newspapers are crap anyway. It's allways yesterdays news & anything that is todays news is all lies (Unless you read broadsheets).

RE: election 05 by aNILEator on 04-25-2005 at 03:50 PM

I want the Monster Raving Looney Party to get in i saw their leader on TV the other month and he was like well if anything the labour party insulting me will get me more publicity i mean look at me now i'm on TV dressed as a Raving Lunatic :D

RE: election 05 by musicalmidget on 04-25-2005 at 04:06 PM

quote:
The only things the torys will be doing is raising taxes. And newspapers are crap anyway. It's allways yesterdays news & anything that is todays news is all lies (Unless you read broadsheets).

All of the major parties will have to raise takes to meet the promises that they are making.  The only difference however is that the Liberal Democrats are the only ones who will admit that.
RE: election 05 by saralk on 04-25-2005 at 04:51 PM

the Monster Raving Loonatic Party can't win because they dont have enough canditates to get a majority. They usually do quite well in their consituancies though

RE: election 05 by Anubis on 04-25-2005 at 05:00 PM

quote:

All of the major parties will have to raise takes to meet the promises that they are making.  The only difference however is that the Liberal Democrats are the only ones who will admit that.

The Lib Dems certainly aren't admiting that the country needs to raise taxes to be ran better, they are saying that they can run the country on less.
RE: RE: election 05 by GiantSpider on 04-25-2005 at 05:37 PM

quote:
quote:

The point is was making was that the Tory's certainly won't be lowering taxes.
RE: election 05 by fluffy_lobster on 04-25-2005 at 07:18 PM

quote:
The point is was making was that the Tory's certainly won't be lowering taxes.
Michael Howard cracks me up :P

In his election broadcast in what I think was the same sentence he said that a party should be honest enough to raise taxes, then promised that tories would lower taxes.

saral, if there is a hung government then Labour will probably form a coalition government with the Lib Dems.
RE: election 05 by saralk on 04-25-2005 at 07:41 PM

a coalition government would be awesome, people would realise that Lib Dem, actually has some good qualities, and then next time they might get a microphone at the house of commons.

Plus, a coalition govt. would have a greater chance of rebellions wouldn't it?

RE: election 05 by GiantSpider on 04-25-2005 at 09:29 PM

To be honest I thought that the Lib Dems sat in on some cabinet meetings now. Or at least they did when Paddy Ashdown was kicking around.

RE: election 05 by emit on 04-26-2005 at 02:48 AM

The Tories will forever be the best party to run this country. Simple as that.

RE: election 05 by Hank on 04-26-2005 at 03:09 AM

think Blair is doing a good job atm, but with this iraq war, i dont think its gona look good for him , he wont win as easily as he has in the past, i dont think

RE: election 05 by emit on 04-26-2005 at 01:41 PM

Labour and Blair are too sleazy, they lie, bend the truth and spin every issue so that no-one knows the core of the matter, Blair wants to become President Blair and join the Euro. The Tories have this country at heart, we are a monarchy and we have the pound... elections aren't about manifestos and policies, they're about principles.