Shoutbox

Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) (/showthread.php?tid=43594)

Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 04-25-2005 at 04:33 AM

Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 sets your MSN Messenger 7 personal message to the name of the game you're currently playing, just like WMP changes your personal message to the name of the song you're currently listening to. It requires Xfire to be installed and running.

Changes:
v1.1
-The IP address is now displayed (when available)
-Added an Options dialog (accessible from Plus!'s Preferences dialog) that allows the user to customize how the name/ip is displayed (for instance, " Playing {0}" shows up as "Playing Gamename")
-Full Unicode support (might break compatibility with Windows 9x/ME)

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by paulfraser on 04-25-2005 at 04:40 AM

win! well played, cheers. I shall use :)

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Chestah on 04-25-2005 at 04:40 AM

nice, one should be made where you don't need xfire running if possible :P

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-26-2005 at 10:55 PM

Very nice plugin, just a question, can others see the game you are playing because i was wondering if the people who don't have the plugin nor messenger plus can see the PM you have?

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 04-26-2005 at 11:48 PM

Yep, anyone who uses MSN Messenger 7 can see the personal message.

Getting rid of the Xfire requirement is technically possible, but since I'd have to manually enter in the name of every supported game (and the proper way to detect it), it wouldn't be worth the effort. Might as well let the Xfire developers do that for me :).

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by BeerBro on 04-30-2005 at 10:52 PM

thx a lot for making this plugin..
i'm loving it :D

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by BrOkEn on 04-30-2005 at 11:46 PM

thnx man :D pretty kool , well done :D

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by brandon_r87 on 05-03-2005 at 02:50 AM

what kind of game are we talking here? like pc game? msn messenger games?

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by prashker on 05-03-2005 at 02:57 AM

PC Games. and go here to see the supported games.

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=XFire&file=games

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 05-03-2005 at 02:58 AM

PC games, mostly 3D. You can view the complete list here: http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=XFire&file=games

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Eljay on 05-03-2005 at 06:44 AM

if it doesnt already do this, can you make an option to set it to the IP of the game your playing

or maybe even do evrything like game name, ip, number of players, map etc. and have tags like {game} {ip}

that would be great!

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Chestah on 05-03-2005 at 06:46 AM

yeah i agree with Lee Jeffery, its a great idea. Maybe if you don't have time to program the tag feature include it like this :P:

XPM = [Name of Game] [[IP of game]]

Example: Counter Strike [127.0.0.1]

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by user27089 on 05-03-2005 at 06:47 AM

Seems to me that it's a great plugin, I'm going to have to try it out, that list of games is huge [Image: xso_shocked.gif]

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Chestah on 05-03-2005 at 06:49 AM

Yeah because its running off another Instant messaging program designed for gamers trax :P

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Eljay on 05-03-2005 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Maybe if you don't have time to program the tag feature include it like this :P:

XPM = [Name of Game] [[IP of game]]

Example: Counter Strike [127.0.0.1]

yeh if its too much work to make the tags that would be the best
(as anybody who has me on msn would know my PSM is really only used for game IPs lol)
RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by CoreyPT on 05-03-2005 at 06:38 PM

that plugin is so damn cool. amazing job ;)

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by BeerBro on 05-03-2005 at 07:53 PM

it'll be really good if its possible to add in to display the ip of the server ur in... :D...

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 05-03-2005 at 08:06 PM

Yeah, since people seem to want it I'll definitely try to add it :).

Might take a few days though, since I'm dealing with a website crash (rebuilding stuff) and this also happens to be my finals week :(.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Sypher on 05-03-2005 at 09:29 PM

Nice little toy! It's cool... I'm looking forward to the V2 :P

RE: Xfire Status Plugin (sets PM to game name) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-03-2005 at 09:53 PM

Nice, keep it up IGx89, this has been a great plug-in for everyone, as everyone said, it would be cool if you add the feature that shows as PM the ip of the server you are in (for some games) because you know that not all games use servers.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 05-11-2005 at 11:52 PM

Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 has now been released, containing the much-requested IP address displaying feature :).

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Eljay on 05-12-2005 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by IGx89
Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 has now been released, containing the much-requested IP address displaying feature :).

woot woot woot :P
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Ben on 05-12-2005 at 06:51 AM

Hmm... just to add another request... might it be able to use the new games icon thingy in the Personal Message section, and have the game server name instead of the IP address?

And awesome plugin, fills a great niche spot.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Eljay on 05-12-2005 at 07:00 AM

its not working :(

it just doesnt change my PSM for some reason

MSN 7.0.0813
Plus 3.52.130

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by CoreyPT on 05-12-2005 at 01:12 PM

works fine for me, there is just a option missing to show the name of the server.
maybe for a 1.2 release ? :P

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 05-12-2005 at 02:27 PM

"might it be able to use the new games icon thingy in the Personal Message section" What do you mean? It already displays a game icon... My only icon choices are Music (headphones), Office, and Games.

"have the game server name instead of the IP address?" Unfortunately, that info is unavailable :(. My plugin reads the game data from APP_DATA\Xfire\status.ini, and Xfire doesn't write the name of the server (or number of people playing) to it.

"it just doesnt change my PSM for some reason" Does Xfire correctly identify the game? If so, go to Plus!/Preferences/Plugins/Xfire Status/Configure, and make sure the format strings are "{0}" and "{0} ({1})", respectively.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by CoreyPT on 05-12-2005 at 07:04 PM

ohh to bad :S
but hey dude ur plugin rox anyway :D
congrats, good work

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by brian on 05-12-2005 at 07:23 PM

IGx89, cant you make it use the Games icon? (Look @ mess.be), so it could be a game icon.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 05-12-2005 at 08:53 PM

CoreyPT: thanks :)

Brian: It already uses the Games icon:
[Image: games_icon.png]

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-12-2005 at 08:57 PM

Excellent update IGx89, good job on this plug-in

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Frackounet on 06-03-2005 at 04:37 PM

Hello, after installing when i start Msn Messenger i have this error :s
Can you help me someone thanks :p

[Image: xfire0rt.jpg]

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 06-04-2005 at 01:19 AM

Do you have Xfire properly installed (and have run it at least once)? If so, and you're still getting that error, which operating system do you have? That error probably means that APPDATA\Xfire\status.ini (Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Xfire\status.ini in Windows XP) doesn't exist.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by J-Thread on 06-05-2005 at 08:25 AM

This is a very interesting plugin... I was planning to make it, but then without Xfire. But as you say, it really is difficult to get all the game's name's and Ip's...

But I think i can help you. I know how to get the server name + players + scores for steam based games (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike:Source etc.) when you have the ip... And i'm sure it isn't that difficult to do it with UT and other game's too...

Then another thing, there must be more users who still use msn 6.2 like me... So the PM isn't available there... I would rather see a beter solution for it, for example in the automessage... Of course it should be an option to place it in the PM, but not standard.

Another idea... Isn't it possible to kind of include XFire in your plugin. I don't know much about it, but there should be a way to include an XFire dll and start it as soon as the plugin is loaded. So people don't have to run XFire too, but only your plugin. I think this can be a great plugin (as far as it isn't already)!!

I think it'll be a good idea if we're gonna talk for a while, i think i can really help to improve this plugin (at least you do have a working plugin and I don't;))

RE: RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Frackounet on 06-05-2005 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Do you have Xfire properly installed (and have run it at least once)?

quote:
It requires Xfire to be installed and running.

oups :p

it's good now but it is not very interesting if one needs another program in addition to the pluggin.

good job anyway
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Lt.Col.DraGon on 06-07-2005 at 01:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Frackounet
oups :p

it's good now but it is not very interesting if one needs another program in addition to the pluggin.

good job anyway

Well, that's why the name of this plugin is called Xfire Status Plugin .

I think IGx89 will update this plugin so you don't need to run the program, that's what he said long time ago.
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 06-07-2005 at 02:43 AM

It's certainly possible to detect most of the games that Xfire detects, without Xfire, but it would be a lot of work. It's certainly possible (and would make it much easier) to use Xfire's game data INI file (it's even probably possible to directly use its DLL!), but unfortunately that brings lots of thorny legal/copyright issues into the mix :(. The Xfire devs have been really nice (I've gotten responses to e-mails I've sent in the past), but I doubt they'd agree to something like that. I'll probably look into it some more, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

I'm also working on a number of other freeware programs (one with a very large userbase), not to mention a full-time internship at Adobe, so even if they did give me permission it would take a while for a new version to be released.

Plus, I submitted this program to both MsgPlus's online plug-in database and Mess.be's online plug-in database over a month ago, and neither has added it yet (or even sent me an e-mail acknowledging my submission!). Certainly not encouraging :(.

Anyway, running Xfire in the background in addition to MSN Messenger isn't that big of deal :). MSN Messenger is currently taking up 21mb of RAM, while Xfire is using less than 3mb! And, Xfire can even automatically download game demos (like the Battlefield 2 demo probably coming out on Friday) the minute they're released, directly from the Xfire servers :).

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by J-Thread on 06-07-2005 at 08:45 AM

You're absolutely right, without Xfire it is a lot of work, i would almost say it's impossible to make. And off course Xfire uses less then 3 Mb of RAM, but it is another 3 Mb, so i would rather see it included in the plugin :-). Because I already run a lot of program's next to MSN and my games... And, it's easier when users only have to install one plugin, and only have to start msn it works. Now they need Xfire also and need it running...

When I submitted a plugin to fraisie, I got an answer in about 5 minutes. Thanks for my plugin, and they will be testing it. Never heard of it anymore, and the plugin wasn't added to the database... A few months later is suddenly saw that my plugin was in the database, and downloaded more then 10.000 times!:D

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Sypher on 09-18-2005 at 09:15 AM

Any updates to this Plugin or is it EOL?

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 09-18-2005 at 03:00 PM

No, mostly because the plug-in does the job great for me and there isn't really anything else that needs adding. If there ever need to be compatibility fixes (like if a new version of Messenger or Plus breaks it) I'd certainly release a new version ASAP though.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by mathieumg on 09-26-2005 at 11:05 AM

Nice job :)

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by -DiStUrBeDzOmBiE- on 09-27-2005 at 08:04 PM

meh.. for some reason it goes up on my pm for a sec then it goes away :(

RE: RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by MALOW on 03-22-2006 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Do you have Xfire properly installed (and have run it at least once)? If so, and you're still getting that error, which operating system do you have? That error probably means that APPDATA\Xfire\status.ini (Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Xfire\status.ini in Windows XP) doesn't exist.

Hello im spanish and Xfire install status.ini in C:\Documents and Settings\MALOW\Datos de programa\Xfire folder and dont work the plugin.

Help m8.
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by oldNews on 07-25-2006 at 08:28 PM

Sorry to stir up an old topic, but I'm really interessted in a plugin like this(that does not require XFire). However, the easiest way to do this, is not supporting games in the plugin itself, but let the user add it's own games.

It only takes for the user to add the .exe for the game, write the name that will appear in the Personal Message, and maybe a display picture. The plugin then tracks these application and changes the message when the games are run and closed.

Hope that someone will consider making one.

Cheers mates.

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Enduin on 07-30-2006 at 10:01 AM

Is this plugin available for Plus Live too?

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by alexp2_ad on 07-30-2006 at 10:14 AM

A Xfire plugin and the thing oldNews said, are both done in AppMon+ for MPL

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by IGx89 on 07-30-2006 at 06:11 PM

Any need for me to update this plug-in (bug fixes or Live! compatibility)? Otherwise I'll assume AppMon+ fills people's needs. No sense fixing up an older tire when there's a newer one that'd work just as good for the same price ;)

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Enduin on 07-31-2006 at 04:02 PM

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by step_on_hen on 09-08-2006 at 10:18 AM

I'd like a live version of this...  it's one of the few things holding me back in 7.5... when either this is upraded,  or the windowManager script is finished,  I'll upgrade...  I like the scripting language (I have it on my other comp),  and are sitting here waiting for things to finish before upgrading :P

RE: RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by alexp2_ad on 09-08-2006 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by step_on_hen
I'd like a live version of this...  it's one of the few things holding me back in 7.5... when either this is upraded,  or the windowManager script is finished,  I'll upgrade...  I like the scripting language (I have it on my other comp),  and are sitting here waiting for things to finish before upgrading :P

AppMon+ can do this now. :)
RE: RE: RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by Extreme_One on 05-13-2007 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad

AppMon+ can do this now. :)

But it no longer works :(
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by BrutuZ on 08-07-2008 at 11:47 PM

*puffs dust away from topic*

quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_One
But it no longer works :(
If anyone else is interested, i posted a fix for AppMon+ problem at it's topic
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by BüYüCü on 09-29-2008 at 07:12 PM

I love it, thank you...

RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name) by RaPLeX on 09-29-2008 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BüYüCü
I love it, thank you...

Durmadan ayni tarz mesaj atarak her an ban yiyebilirsin vatandasin olarak uyarayim..