Shoutbox

Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? (/showthread.php?tid=43643)

Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? by KeyStorm on 04-25-2005 at 07:48 PM

I remember one of the main uses of the half-sticks (or important-post-flags) whas when if a user searched a word contained in such a post or thread, it would be placed at the top of the search.

This would improve the search engine and would help helpers to have to help a little less. :P

RE: Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? by Sunshine on 04-27-2005 at 05:03 PM

Erm yeah, i agree stickies an halfstickies on top of searches. Hi :D

RE: Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? by WDZ on 04-27-2005 at 05:05 PM

I'm thinkin' about it... :^)

Dunno if it's possible... without significantly slowing down the script, that is... I guess I'll have to try it to find out. :^)

Also, the search script searches for posts, not threads, so if multiple posts from the same half-sticky thread are in the results, they would all be at the top...

RE: Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? by KeyStorm on 04-27-2005 at 05:06 PM

Oh, ok, I just wasn't very sure you had read the post.

Cheers! :)

RE: Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? by Millenium_edition on 04-27-2005 at 05:09 PM

why not add a checkbox in the search form and say "this may slow down the search, continue?" when the user clicks the submit button?

RE: Half-stickies reaching the top of the search results? by KeyStorm on 04-27-2005 at 05:52 PM

It's not a fact about having a "slow search" It would probably not need more than a second. But the problem is that it may make the whole server respond a bit slower for everyone, causing more charge and maybe preveniting it to respond in time.

I don't think it's such drammatical, but I think you got me. ;)

DZ:
I imagine you have all half-stickies defined on a separate table and that is linked by postid to the actual posts. Why don't you add a clumn in the posts that has 1 when the post is halfsticky or 0 when it isn't. This way you could easily order firstly by halfsticky bit and secondly by date. This wouldn't be much problem to the DB I think. :^)