Shoutbox

_MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! (/showthread.php?tid=43667)

_MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Tesla7zap on 04-26-2005 at 11:27 AM

I installed MSN Messenger 7 a while ago and figured I might as well install Messenger Plus (3.52) also. I did, and that's when it turned out like this:

[Image: Bah.jpg ]

No names shows up in the contact list, not even my own, and I can't interact with anybody in any way. The only way to be able to use MSN again at all is to make numerous system restores. Even so, Plus! won't work with it still.

If I uninstall both MSN and Plus! and remove all the traces of it etc and install just MSN again, it's still as in the pic above. I've been trying different versions of Plus! This is just the tip of the iceberg of everything that I've tried, but despite that: No luck.

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibatility bug! by Underlord on 04-26-2005 at 11:28 AM

Download Messenger Plus! 3.52 from the site, install and your problems will be solved.

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibatility bug! by Tesla7zap on 04-26-2005 at 11:29 AM

Yeah. I've been trying 3.52. Problems NOT solved.

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Underlord on 04-26-2005 at 11:34 AM

Do you have MSN Messenger 7.0.0777? If you uninstalled Plus! and it still happens, then it isn't Plus!

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Hank on 04-26-2005 at 11:37 AM

try this uninstall MsgPlus an MSN Messenger 7 an the plugins if any an then go to

START > RUN > type REGEDIT AN PRESS ok OR HIT enter > THEN GO TO

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/MSNMessenger <-- delete that key there

then go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/MSNMessenger <-- an dlete that key there

an then reboot eh PC an reinstall MSDN7  an then Plus if you wish

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Tesla7zap on 04-26-2005 at 12:13 PM

Hmm. Ok, I WOULD try that if it just wasn't for the fact that there's no where to download MSN 7 because _all_ the links are broken. By the way, I was in Regedit but I didn't do anything, even so, it says when I try to uninstall MSN Messenger (it says it's MSN Messenger 6.2 :S) that:

"The function that you try to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK if you want to try again, or assign a searchpath to a folder that includes the installationpackage MsnMsgs.msi in the box below".

Now this is starting to get weird. What's happening to MSN >_<

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Sunshine on 04-26-2005 at 12:44 PM

MSN Messenger

Do a clean install of both:
- Uninstall MSNM and Plus!
- Reboot
- Remove all folders in program files folder pointing towards MSN Messenger and Plus!
- Reinstall both

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Fraisie on 04-26-2005 at 12:58 PM

In fact, that's not a Messenger Plus! bug, but a Messenger bug, as weird as it is.

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Tesla7zap on 04-29-2005 at 12:51 PM

Nothing of those stuff you said worked and I can't do a clean uninstall of MSN Messenger (it says it's 6.2 btw) because when I try to uninstall it I get:

Click OK if you want to try again, or assign a searchpath to a folder that includes the installationpackage MsnMsgs.msi in the box below".

They need to release a new version asap T_T;

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by CookieRevised on 04-29-2005 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tesla7zap
They need to release a new version asap T_T;
ermm no, you need to sort out your problems :D There is nothing wrong with Messenger, nor with Messenger Plus!. Firstly, it seems that you got your installations of Messenger (both 6.2 and 7) realy messed up on your computer.

Thus make sure you're working in an administrative windows account.

Then download Messenger 7 from http://messenger.msn.com/. Make sure you do NOT directly run the file you're downloading, instead choose to save the file on your harddisk.

Then, after it has been downloaded, start it up and install it.

Right after it has installed, uninstall it by going to add/remove programs in Windows.

Do the same (download, save, install, uninstall) for MSN Messenger 6.2, you can download this here.

After all this, reinstall MSN Messenger 7 and check if it is running fine.

After that, download and reinstall Messenger Plus! (and do as andrey suggests in the next post).

----

EDIT: thanks for pointing it out, andrey. It seems that I missed those threads...
RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by andrey on 04-29-2005 at 01:34 PM

One more thing to add:
This problem could be caused by the Handwriting plugin!

Firstly do what CookieRevised suggested to fix your installs

Then uninstall the Handwriting Plugin:

- close all instances of MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger completely,
- delete the file MsnHandWriting.dll from your Messenger Plus! Plugins directory
(default directory is: c:\program files\messenger plus!3\plugins).
- Go to add/remove programs in the software tab in your configuration settings.
Look for "Ink Redistributables" or "InfoPen", if existing, click it and uninstall it.

@ Cookie: See Contacts! disappear
and andrey's reply to Contacts! disappear
:happy:

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Tesla7zap on 04-29-2005 at 02:19 PM

Well. Installed, uninstall with MSN 7. I hade an older installationfile of MSN 6.2 on my computer.. I downloaded the other MSN 6.2 installation file and installed that.. Instead of overwriting, it became a new MSN 6.2 So I have two MSN 6.2 now because I can't uninstall the other one because

Pops up if I try.. So I installed MSN 7 and Plus!.. still dosen't work..

And there was no such thing as info pen or Ink Redistributables in add/remove programs in the control panel and no plugins in the MSGplus plugin directory...

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by CookieRevised on 04-29-2005 at 02:23 PM

Tesla7zap, do you have Windows XP? If so, add me to your MSN (thus without Messenger Plus!, so it runs) and I can try to sort it out for you remotely. I'm on msn for the next hour: [************]

EDIT: didn't work, we are both behind a router :/ *beeping* remote assistance (or *beeping* us to not install decent remote assistence software or forwarding the needed ports :P)

Note to Tesla7zap, I'll be back tomorow (and/or this evening/night) to walk you thru the needed steps. But beware this can take a long time ;)

RE: _MAJOR_ MSN7/Plus! compatibility bug! by Tesla7zap on 04-29-2005 at 02:29 PM

The problem is, it dosen't run without MSN plus! either.. It will just run with some old version of Plus! thats not even compatible with MSN 7.0.. There's a Plus! menu in MSN but the only thing in there is "Compatibility info"...Yeah, I have XP.. I added you now..