Shoutbox

How do I stop the Update Popup - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: How do I stop the Update Popup (/showthread.php?tid=43761)

How do I stop the Update Popup by mike139115 on 04-27-2005 at 10:44 PM

I work in an office that we have Windows messenger installed and we installed Message Plus on all of the workstations so that we could have chats logged.  Now that the new version of plus came out, all of the users are installing it, and they don't read anything and then complain to us that they are getting all kinds of popups.  Instead of going around to everyone's machine, is there a way to stop the popup that says there is an update available?

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by linx05 on 04-28-2005 at 05:56 AM

Sounds like you installed the sponsor. Go to this thread to see how to remove it.

Or is it just one popup saying there is an update available? If that is the problem, why not update it? It would be silly not too :P

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by mike139115 on 04-28-2005 at 03:01 PM

I am talking about the popup saying there is an update available.  We would install the update, but its the users in our office that just click next on everything and don't know about the sponsor program.  Then they call us up and we have to go over there and uninstall it.

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by absorbation on 04-28-2005 at 03:05 PM

Here are some video guides to make things simple (i made them) :P

Installing without sponser

Removing sponser the easy way

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by mike139115 on 04-28-2005 at 03:10 PM

I know how to install it without the sponsor program, but the users in our office don't take the time to even look at what they are doing, so they just install it.  I want to know if there is a way to disable the popup that says there is an update available?

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by absorbation on 04-28-2005 at 03:15 PM

Make an annoucement about installing plus, you will want the update if your using messenger 7 because it fixes many bugs :)

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by matty on 04-28-2005 at 03:28 PM

mike139115, if you guys have a network that is accessible throughout the entire office wouldn't it be easier to push along the install with the parameter /SilentInstallNoSponsor. That would be the easiest way. You guys obviously would need to have a way to install software on every PC without going computer to computer so you could easily do it that way.

RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by Tochjo on 04-28-2005 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mike139115
is there a way to stop the popup that says there is an update available?
Yes, there are ways of disabling the Auto-update Notification feature. The most simple solution would be to check the box not to check for further updates once the Auto-update Notification dialog box shows up. However, I can see that this is not a proper solution.

The second way is a bit more advanced, but I assume it is no problem for you. It requires changing a registry setting. Just for the record, this is an undocumented, hidden feature, which may not work - but as far as I am aware, it has always functioned properly.

The registry setting required is a DWORD value named AutoUpdateNotification set to False (0). The registry setting is located at HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2 (not MsgPlus3); if not present, simply create it. A program called Plus! Tweak is available to edit registry settings in an easy way (see this page for the program and all the registry settings), but I don't think you'll need it.

Good luck :)
RE: How do I stop the Update Popup by mike139115 on 04-28-2005 at 04:21 PM

Thank you very much Tochjo.  That's exactly what I was looking for.