Shoutbox

Edit music - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Edit music (/showthread.php?tid=43800)

Edit music by absorbation on 04-28-2005 at 03:42 PM

Is there a free/ trial program that can edit .mp3 files to get a certain length out of them i need it for a music project :P

So i want a part taken from a song in other words :)

RE: Edit music by Anubis on 04-28-2005 at 03:43 PM

It's only a trial program, but even for just a trial version it's one of the simplest. GoldWave.

RE: Edit music by user27089 on 04-28-2005 at 03:46 PM

Audacity is one that you get free with Ubuntu, that's okay... It's open source aswell so... Try it :).

RE: Edit music by user13774 on 04-28-2005 at 05:13 PM

You can do it with dBpowerAmp Music Converter (Convert -> DSP Effect)

RE: Edit music by ProblemWv Authority on 04-28-2005 at 05:38 PM

The Nero Wave Editor I find is also very good. It is included in a demo pack here.

RE: Edit music by Chris.1 on 04-28-2005 at 06:34 PM

As traxor said, Audacity is meant to be good on all platforms - its free too. I've never used it personally, but I've only heard good things about it from reviews, other people, guides etc.

RE: Edit music by absorbation on 04-28-2005 at 06:40 PM

I have made one using traxor's links, thanks for all your help everybody :)

this is not the finshed one as it's crap but an experiment :P

My crappy mix

if anyone could do something like this but make it good i would be very thankful :D That being a mix of the plus theme and clocks by coldplay for my music homework

blah, but who would do that :(

RE: Edit music by user2319 on 04-28-2005 at 07:57 PM

Yep, it's crap. :) The first song continues for too long when the 2nd is already playing.

In depth-review: Till 00:25 it sounds great. Then it sucks really much for 2 secs, after which it is still bad until 01:03. Then it's nice again :) at 01:25 it sounds crap, but this stops soon. 01:36 till 2:00 is really nice. :D At 2:02 the songs gets a *lot* louder all of a sudden, and then It's bad quality for a few secs. (This is with beep media player, Gtk+ fork of XMMS). I also think that the part where the voice of song 2 is really soft should be altered a bit - less of the voice (or none at all).

I think it's good for a first try. Keep on trying!! :)

Good luck. (Oh, and can you post it in .ogg format next time? I'd prefer that).

RE: Edit music by absorbation on 04-30-2005 at 11:38 AM

I have now finshed my music project it's sounds crap also but not as crap as before:

First try

Second try

RE: Edit music by Jhrono on 04-30-2005 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation

Second try

It's kinda good :P...which program did you use?
RE: Edit music by absorbation on 04-30-2005 at 11:55 AM

Audacity so i could'nt do that much :(

RE: Edit music by user2319 on 04-30-2005 at 12:41 PM

1st is nice but a bit repetitive. The 2nd is better. Can you post them in another format than mp3? OGG or something..

RE: Edit music by absorbation on 04-30-2005 at 01:02 PM

In OGG format:

http://www.plussounds.net/Other/music2.ogg

RE: Edit music by user2319 on 04-30-2005 at 01:15 PM

Thank you!

RE: Edit music by CookieRevised on 04-30-2005 at 02:40 PM

If you can do not edit MP3 files. Edit the original WAV files. MP3 files will, just like JPG images, loose information each time you edit them or save them. The quality will get worse and worse!

RE: Edit music by user2319 on 04-30-2005 at 03:19 PM

I think he did so, yes. The quality of the OGG is amazingly crap :S

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#transcode

Can I convert my MP3 collection to the Ogg Vorbis format?

You can convert any audio format to Ogg Vorbis. However, converting from one lossy format, like MP3, to another lossy format, like Vorbis, is generally a bad idea. Both MP3 and Vorbis encoders achieve high compression ratios by throwing away parts of the audio waveform that you probably won't hear. However, the MP3 and Vorbis codecs are very different, so they each will throw away different parts of the audio, although there certainly is some overlap. Converting a MP3 to Vorbis involves decoding the MP3 file back to an uncompressed format, like WAV, and recompressing it using the Ogg Vorbis encoder. The decoded MP3 will be missing the parts of the original audio that the MP3 encoder chose to discard. The Ogg Vorbis encoder will then discard other audio components when it compresses the data. At best, the result will be an Ogg file that sounds the same as your original MP3, but it is most likely that the resulting file will sound worse than your original MP3. In no case will you get a file that sounds better than the original MP3.

Since many music players can play both MP3 and Ogg files, there is no reason that you should have to switch all of your files to one format or the other. If you like Ogg Vorbis, then we would encourage you to use it when you encode from original, lossless audio sources (like CDs). When encoding from originals, you will find that you can make Ogg files that are smaller or of better quality (or both) than your MP3s.

(If you must absolutely must convert from MP3 to Ogg, there are several conversion scripts available on Freshmeat.)

RE: Edit music by absorbation on 04-30-2005 at 03:27 PM

Yes but i had to use mp3 as it needs to be uploaded to our school. In the network we only get 5mb and the wav formats are far to large to use so i was forced to use mp3 :(

RE: Edit music by CookieRevised on 04-30-2005 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Yes but i had to use mp3 as it needs to be uploaded to our school. In the network we only get 5mb and the wav formats are far to large to use so i was forced to use mp3 :(
As we explained, use the WAV's to create your mix, when it is finished THEN convert it to MP3.
RE: Edit music by absorbation on 04-30-2005 at 03:30 PM

Wow that was a very quick reply and the track i found was mp3 already but i could of edited some sections (3) to wav :P

RE: Edit music by user2319 on 04-30-2005 at 05:01 PM

MP3 -> Wav isn't much use unless your player can't play MP3

Can't you find a WAV version?