Shoutbox

Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list (/showthread.php?tid=43891)

Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by alegator on 04-30-2005 at 08:41 AM

I have MSN 7 lates version. In the contact list contact's show with their nicknames and to the left a smal thumbnail of their display picture. So far normal. But today I noticed that one of my contacts has a blinkingyellow star showing to the left of his display picture in the contact list. Does anyone know what plugin/patch is he using to create this?
Thanks.

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by J.J on 04-30-2005 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Informaton from Mess.be
If a little orange star (or flower, or sun... whatever you call it) appears next to a contact list icon that person is Gleaming.

[Image: gleaming2.gif]
gleaming gleam msn spaces update contact list icon

In short, this means the contact person has made a change to his or her MSN Spaces blog.

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by Eljay on 04-30-2005 at 08:53 AM

these stars show that the contact has added a new post to his msn spaces blog, this is a built in feature of msn messenger 7, not any plugin or patch.

just click the star to see the contact card and click "My Space" to visit their blog

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by alegator on 04-30-2005 at 08:55 AM

3rd Dimension, what kind of change to the MSN Spaces blog does it refer to? Is this a built in function of MSN 7? And how can I locate this contact's blog address? Thanks.

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by J.J on 04-30-2005 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
3rd Dimension, what kind of change to the MSN Spaces blog does it refer to? Is this a built in function of MSN 7? And how can I locate this contact's blog address? Thanks.

It could mean they have uploaded new photo's or added a new entry to their blog, or done anything to customise it

Yes it is a built in function of Msn 7 and you can locate your contacts blog address by clicking on their dp in the contact list and following the link to it :)
RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by alegator on 04-30-2005 at 09:02 AM

I clicked on the contact's display picture and there's no reference whatsoever to any web address or blog. Also I don't see "My Space" button either. I think I disabled the "My Spaces" button with A-Patch, but the contact's blog address should still show up by clicking his display picture, right?

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by J.J on 04-30-2005 at 09:04 AM

quote:
I clicked on the contact's display picture and there's no reference whatsoever to any web address or blog.

Is this person offline? Is the contact card poping up? Are you clicking the contacts dp in the contact list?
RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by Eljay on 04-30-2005 at 09:04 AM

the "My Space" link is on the contact card underneath the contacts name, it has a orange star thing by it

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by alegator on 04-30-2005 at 09:11 AM

This contact is online with an "Away" status. Yes, the contact card pops up to the left after clicking on the contact's display picture in the contact list.
The contact card's content is the following:
- The first page has his display picture and his nickname to the right of the dp. There are three buttins below: a send instant message, a send email and a send wink one.
- The second page has his email address and below it his home, work and mobile info.
That's everything that shows on his contact card, as said, no reference to any blog address.

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by J.J on 04-30-2005 at 09:20 AM

quote:
- The first page has his display picture and his nickname to the right of the dp. There are three buttins below: a send instant message, a send email and a send wink one.

His blog link should be appearing on that page :undecided:

Have you tryed waiting and leaving the contact card open for a while to see if it will load?

Maybe try signing out then back in and try again
RE: RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by haydos on 04-30-2005 at 09:26 AM

quote:
This contact is online with an "Away" status. Yes, the contact card pops up to the left after clicking on the contact's display picture in the contact list.
The contact card's content is the following:
- The second page has his email address and below it his home, work and mobile info.
That's everything that shows on his contact card, as said, no reference to any blog address.

Stupid question here but I just want to make sure, are you checking the contact card of the contact who had the star? If a contact does not have a blog it will show up as you have explained above.
RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by alegator on 04-30-2005 at 09:33 AM

Yes, I've tried refreshing by signing out and in and keeping the cc open for a while. Still everything as described in my previous post shows without any blog address. I'm now more inlcined to suspect that this contact is using some trick to make that yellow star show without worrying about his blog...

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by J.J on 04-30-2005 at 09:40 AM

quote:
I think I disabled the "My Spaces" button with A-Patch

Hrmm, i think you chose the option 'Remove buttons from contact card' when patching your msn, thats why its not showing up

Go to add/remove programs >> Msn messenger 7.0 >> Repair

Then patch it again with A-patch, and make sure you dont select the 'Remove buttons from contact card' option

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by alegator on 04-30-2005 at 10:01 AM

Ok, I forgot about that, I thought I only disabled the "My Spaces" button from the contact list. I'll do that right away, thanks.

RE: Blinking star showing in one of my contact's/Contact list by Chestah on 04-30-2005 at 11:56 AM

Yeah it has disabled the My Spaces button from your contact list and contact card, this is why you cannot click on any visible links to go straight to your contacts blog update :(