Shoutbox

How to remove "offline" status ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: How to remove "offline" status ? (/showthread.php?tid=43897)

How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 10:56 AM

Hi,

I would like to remove the status "offline" from my MSN.
I tried to search on the Internet, but with no success !

Can someone tell me how to remove this status ?
Or If there is a patch, or add-on made for that ?
Or if someone can make one ?
Or (again :) ) How can i do it myself ?

Thank you all, if you know something...

Bozz.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by mwe99 on 04-30-2005 at 11:10 AM

I don't quite understand your question, you want to remove the offline status from the menu or offline in general?

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by -rafy- on 04-30-2005 at 11:14 AM

Why would you want to do that?

Just dont use it?

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 11:22 AM

I want to remove it in general.

Bozz.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by linx05 on 04-30-2005 at 11:30 AM

You can't remove it in "general". But you can probably remove it from the menu with the proper patch.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 11:32 AM

Ok, I managed to do it :
I used ResHack to remove the status in the msgslang.dll file.
It works fine so far...

Bozz.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by -rafy- on 04-30-2005 at 11:34 AM

lol for the record, why did you want to remove it?

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by x2zen on 04-30-2005 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
lol for the record, why did you want to remove it?
Maybe because its annoying to look at, because if a contact is offline they have a red icon, no need for the (Offline) tag. But I wouldnt know because I dont sort my list by groups

And if somebody is wondering how you remove the (offline) tag, just open msgslang.dll with Resource hacker, go to String table 46, and edit line 733
RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 12:04 PM

I didn't remove the offline from the contact list, because i sort my contacts by group.
But i just wanted to remove the offline from the status list. And that's what I did.

Now.. to satisfy the curiosity of rafy (he aked me twice my reason) :
- First, I think that the appear offline status is useless. If you want to be connected but dont want to be disturb there is already a status for that.
- There is also several setting options to avoid annoying messages.
- Second, my wife use MSN also my computer. I just want her to be online when she's connected, because, if I'm not home and want to talk to her, I just want her to get the message (immediatly i mean).
- I think it's very egoist to only be able to send message, and not receive them !!!!

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by Chestah on 04-30-2005 at 12:07 PM

Firstly if you don't want to use it then just don't use it, with your wife for instance unless you tell messenger to connect as "appear offline" then you won't - you will automatically be signed in as online.

You cannot send messages to people while your appearing as offline. You have to change your status to online/busy/away etc to send or recieve messages. Basicially there is no feature of msn messenger where only you can send messages and your contacts can't send them  back.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 12:13 PM

What is this tag Madsen ?

And you know where I can find the /appearoffline command ? (when you type commands in the chat window).

Bozz.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by -rafy- on 04-30-2005 at 12:23 PM

lmao...does it make much difference getting rid of everything to do with it?  lmao if you dont like it dont use it lol......but up to you i suppose, I fail to see the logic behind your reason.

/appearoffline would be something you would need to change in plus.

RE: RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Firstly if you don't want to use it then just don't use it, with your wife for instance unless you tell messenger to connect as "appear offline" then you won't - you will automatically be signed in as online.

This is not exactly true : you will be automatically be signed in as the last status used to be signed in.

quote:
You cannot send messages to people while your appearing as offline. You have to change your status to online/busy/away etc to send or recieve messages. Basicially there is no feature of msn messenger where only you can send messages and your contacts can't send them  back.

That is EXACTLY why I disagree with the "appearoffline" status !! :) and why also i cannot just "dont use it" !
RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by Chestah on 04-30-2005 at 12:23 PM

A. Madsen was referring to the "(Offline)" that appears behind all your contacts that are currently offline.

quote:
Originally posted by BozzBozz

This is not exactly true : you will be automatically be signed in as the last status used to be signed in.

Well why not just not use the "appear offline" status instead of going to the trouble of removing it just because you get signed in as the last status used. You say you don't want to use it then don't use it and you'll never have this problem :). But in the long run it doesn't really matter does it :)

/appearoffline is indeed a Plus! command and i really can't see anyway you can remove it except for uninstalling Plus! which i advise is not worth doing :), as i said just don't use that feature if you don't need it. I'll probably never use the new mobile messaging feature except i'm not going to try and remove it.
RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by -rafy- on 04-30-2005 at 12:28 PM

I still have no idea why you wont to get rid of /appearoffline as well?
Just dont use it!

*me is getting confused lol.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 12:37 PM

Ok.. ok... ok....
I see the confusion here....
As you said : just dont use it ! Ok, I never used it, and i still dont use it ! that is ok.

The thing is I just dont want anyone to use it too :) (at least on my computer... it's only what i can do) so that's why i just want to force them to use other options.
Because again... i'd like to reach people at home when i'm out of home (at work, school, friends, etc...). (and again, it is the msn install on my computer at home that i modified ;) )

Bozz.

RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by Chestah on 04-30-2005 at 01:10 PM

oh ok i see what you mean now as well, why not just tell them that you'd like them to not use that feature! It saves alot of time and if you explain to them why i'm sure they'd do it! Most people use the "appear offline" feature when they want to see if its worth signing in - if theres anyone online that they want to talk to. They could use it anyway and then if they saw you online they could then come online and talk :)

RE: RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by BozzBozz on 04-30-2005 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Most people use the "appear offline" feature when they want to see if its worth signing in - if theres anyone online that they want to talk to.

That's a lost of time !!
quote:
They could use it anyway and then if they saw you online they could then come online and talk :)

And what about the others ?? what about the ones who want, or who NEED to talk, say, ask something....
You're not listening to me...

Bozz.
RE: How to remove "offline" status ? by CookieRevised on 04-30-2005 at 03:11 PM

quote:
As you said : just dont use it ! Ok, I never used it, and i still dont use it ! that is ok.

The thing is I just dont want anyone to use it too :) (at least on my computer... it's only what i can do) so that's why i just want to force them to use other options.
Because again... i'd like to reach people at home when i'm out of home (at work, school, friends, etc...). (and again, it is the msn install on my computer at home that i modified ;) )
That sounds equaly if not more egoistic then:
quote:
- I think it's very egoist to only be able to send message, and not receive them !!!!
and also a bit of an invasion of your wife's privacy (Personaly, I would never do that to my wife, and also wouldn't tolerate it if my wife would do something like that against me, but that's a personal opinion). What if she wants to check if someone is online or monitor something without appearing online??? (and that is exactly the function of "appear offline")

And for the record: removing the "appear offline" buttons, menu's, commands, etc... will not prevent your wife at all to sign in as appearing offline. It is completely useless to remove those things...