Shoutbox

Sharing Net Connection in XP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Sharing Net Connection in XP (/showthread.php?tid=43974)

Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-01-2005 at 08:37 PM

Okay so i have a ethernet cable running from my XP PC to my XP Laptop. however the internet doesn't work. Is there something im missing?

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by ShawnZ on 05-01-2005 at 08:38 PM

Which computer is connected to the internet? the desktop or the laptop? also, on which computer is the internet not functioning? And are you using a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two computers?

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-01-2005 at 08:39 PM

Desktop PC is connected via cable modem

not working on the laptop,

and i think so yeah.

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by M73A on 05-01-2005 at 09:14 PM

just run the network setup wizard, you can choose 'this computer will connect to te internet through the network' (laptop)

and this computer will connect directly to the internet (desktop pc)

probs off a bit but its generally something liek that...thats what happened with me anyway

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-01-2005 at 09:16 PM

Thats what i did run and nothing :(

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by M73A on 05-01-2005 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Thats what i did run and nothing :(
^o) oh ok, sorreh....worked for me:)

this should be of somehelp.... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

(y) gd luck

another thing is that it may be a firewall????

or goto network connecdtions - properties - TCP/IP and change something in there or in the proerties? its where i had problems....
RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-01-2005 at 09:27 PM

I did the link you gave me, however when i make the internet shared, it goes off on the desktop one and doesn't appear on the laptop either grr

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by M73A on 05-01-2005 at 09:30 PM

its easier to have a router:P lol. ermm im not sure if you have to do it when its not through a router but i had conflicting IP's...or just naff ones....maybe you need to sort the network IP addresses for the pc's?

might need to be in the same workgroup...they do for file sharing afaik

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-01-2005 at 09:34 PM

its about to get thrown out  the window :P

i get the status of the LAN as "limited or no connectivity"

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by M73A on 05-01-2005 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
its about to get thrown out  the window :P

i get the status of the LAN as "limited or no connectivity"

thats exactely what i got when the IP's where f*cked up!!!

have you manually assigned IP's? my uncle does networking for a college he said its better to let the DHCP assign the IP's.... if thats anyhelp
RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by ShawnZ on 05-01-2005 at 09:36 PM

Right click the main internet connection and click properties, go to the last tab and check the box in the middle there, then select your laptops connection from the list.

also, if your going to use the network setup wizard, make sure you run it on both PCs.

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-01-2005 at 09:45 PM

nope i left the ips to them selves, i tried to but then decided not to and made it automatic

yep i did all the shawnz but still nothing :(

why arnt things as simple as they seem!

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by YottabyteWizard on 05-02-2005 at 06:18 AM

That problem had some friends of mine, maybe are the network drivers, you could check them and dl driver upgrades. Also it was fixed resintalling Windows, also worked for me when experimenting.

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by scott_259 on 05-02-2005 at 07:33 AM

You will have to create a Home or small office network on both your computers by going into network  connection and then click on Setup home or small office network, then follow the prompts, make sure you do it on both computers, is it still doesnt work, then Click on create a new connection and follow the prompts to set your laptop up to connect to the internet via another computer. Good luck hope it helps, need furthur help dont hesitate to ask.

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by Pyroteq on 05-02-2005 at 11:30 AM

If you have Norton you need to use thier Home network setup or you will come across alot of difficulty

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-02-2005 at 11:38 AM

Nope im using McAfee Security Centre

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by lizard.boy on 05-02-2005 at 09:02 PM

if you are not using a router you need an ethernet crossover cable to connect the pc and the laptop. get one from any computer store, even wall mart has them i think.

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-02-2005 at 09:08 PM

I have the cables and they're cabled up, it's the process thats not working

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by lizard.boy on 05-02-2005 at 09:28 PM

are you sure you have a crossover cable though? normal ethernet cables will not work. (normal are usually called straight or straight-though)

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by mwe99 on 05-02-2005 at 09:30 PM

Um im not sure.. anyways i can find out? :S I don't have the box that it came in anymore

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by lizard.boy on 05-02-2005 at 10:14 PM

can you see the ends of the cables through the plastic connection ends? (if there is a plastic/rubber "boot" you should be able to pull it down) if the wires are the same colors in teh same order on both ends it is a straight cable, and you should have found your major setback.

RE: Sharing Net Connection in XP by scott_259 on 05-03-2005 at 06:04 AM

True you will find a setback, but you should also setup a home network as if you dont your computer will not learn to "work together". So make sure you set up a home network as well!