Shoutbox

Scientists create flat speakers - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Scientists create flat speakers (/showthread.php?tid=44007)

Scientists create flat speakers by TheMusicPirate on 05-02-2005 at 02:48 PM

April 28, 2005 ㅡ PNI, a Korean research firm, announced yesterday that it has developed a technology for mass production of flat speakers that are as flexible as a piece of fabric.
"This product will cause revolutionary changes in how speakers will look in the future," said Koh Seok-geun, president of PNI. "It took four years of studies after we initially developed the technology to make it available for mass production."
These speakers are thin transparent sheets that move like cloth.
They can be hung on walls, draped over an object or hung in a frame. One only needs to cut out a piece of the "cloth" and connect it to an amplifier with a wire.
The speakers are made with a type of plastic that is studded with electrodes. Until now, scientists had been unable to figure out a way to secure electrodes onto the vinyl, but scientists here said they used plasma on the electrodes to get it to adhere to the plastic.
The speakers, however, can only support sounds in the upper end of the register.
For instance, in a 5.1-channel home theater, four speakers are for treble and one is for bass. This fabric-like speaker, however, cannot support bass sounds.

SOURCE:http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200504/27/200504272220160539900090609062.html

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by absorbation on 05-02-2005 at 02:50 PM

wow, when they are first out they will cost sooooooooooooooooooo much :P

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by user27089 on 05-02-2005 at 03:15 PM

Sounds pretty cool to me, if they become cheap enough and sell everywhere, I'd definitely buy some to put all around my room and stuff :p.

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by M73A on 05-02-2005 at 03:33 PM

lol, hmm new curtains ...but wait they're speakers, lol. that would rule

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by RaceProUK on 05-02-2005 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JackSparrow
For instance, in a 5.1-channel home theater, four speakers are for treble and one is for bass.
Erm, 5 for treble: back left, front left, centre, front right, back right.
And I get '<blah> not found'.

<offtopic>
w00t! 2000 posts!
</offtopic>
RE: Scientists create flat speakers by user27089 on 05-02-2005 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Originally posted by JackSparrow
For instance, in a 5.1-channel home theater, four speakers are for treble and one is for bass.
Erm, 5 for treble: back left, front left, centre, front right, back right.
And I get '<blah> not found'.

<offtopic>
w00t! 2000 posts!
</offtopic>

5 = Treble
the .1 = bass :rolleyes:...
RE: Scientists create flat speakers by RaceProUK on 05-02-2005 at 05:42 PM

Yes trax, that's what I was pointing out :refuck:

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by Anubis on 05-02-2005 at 06:39 PM

They'd be great for taking on holiday and stuff. However the bass being that low would just really begin to make playing rock music absolutely rubbish. You'd just get a really tinny effect when you play any music, which would really get annoying. Purely from a technical point of view, I think it's an excellent technological advance. But it has too few practical applications, especially with such a crappy bass.

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by Concord Dawn on 05-02-2005 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
They'd be great for taking on holiday and stuff. However the bass being that low would just really begin to make playing rock music absolutely rubbish. You'd just get a really tinny effect when you play any music, which would really get annoying. Purely from a technical point of view, I think it's an excellent technological advance. But it has too few practical applications, especially with such a crappy bass.

3 words: $70 PC speakers.
RE: Scientists create flat speakers by .Roy on 05-02-2005 at 07:20 PM

Actually you can cut them up and everything. They will probobly be selling them by every meter squared or foot squared

100 dollars for 1 meter squared: P

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by saralk on 05-02-2005 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
3 words: $70 PC speakers.

the $70 is more of a value but we will let it slide.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

you could have a seperate base speaker, that isn't as thin

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by RaceProUK on 05-02-2005 at 10:10 PM

Either not as thin, or made of a different polymer. If they can get tweeters that thin, it'll only be a matter of time before they get bass that thin.

Edit: Just thought - new form of headphones. Much lighter and more comfortable - literally just a thin glove-like device over the ear.

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by Pyroteq on 05-03-2005 at 01:08 AM

I prefer some large powerfull chunky speakers.

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by Purity on 05-03-2005 at 03:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
I prefer some large powerfull chunky speakers.
Me 2....

Big headphones are good too...

Blah, You could put these 'cloth speakers in your touque or hat  or hoody in class and no one would know. :|

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by DJeX on 05-03-2005 at 10:58 PM

Heres a pic http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment...peakers-101607.php

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by TylerG on 05-04-2005 at 01:07 AM

I would make a T-shirt out of them:P

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by mwe99 on 05-04-2005 at 01:58 AM

Looks good but gonna cost an absolute fortune!

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by marissa on 05-04-2005 at 02:42 AM

hahaha...i thought they'd look like sliced chicken for some reason. That's kinda cool, i think i'd stay with my speakers though. As it said on the picture site, it's more for a museum thing. i want one to put in my hood :p

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by DJeX on 05-04-2005 at 02:58 AM

I hope they make them so the bass is unbarable. I love bass.

* DJeX dreams

*Running with bass* *calm Ahhhh......* *Weeee*

RE: Scientists create flat speakers by fluffy_lobster on 05-04-2005 at 03:12 PM

I'm assuming that the more bass you add the bigger the connector on the cloth has to be.  Still, I could see some amazing uses for something like that.