Shoutbox

Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica (/showthread.php?tid=44013)

Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by alegator on 05-02-2005 at 04:19 PM

Why would anyone want to waste over 4Gb of hard drive space installing Encarta or britannica if any info can be found online like wikipedia.org?

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by user27089 on 05-02-2005 at 04:22 PM

Because they're more useful to access if you don't have the time or knowledge to access to the internet, or maybe they just don't have the internet...

It's very accessible and generally easy to use, they're both amazing programs, and I can assure you, that wikipedia probably doesn't have half of what either of those two pieces of software will ;).

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by alegator on 05-02-2005 at 04:29 PM

What I meant is that almost any sort of information on any subject can be found in the Internet, name it wikipedia or elsewhere. So I guess if one knows basic searching there's no need for installing these programs.

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by user27089 on 05-02-2005 at 04:31 PM

That doesn't really matter, everything isn't on the internet, there is the odd 1 or 2 things that aren't on the internet... So having these programs is useful to find them. Remember aswell, kids use these programs, they aren't that good with the internet, there is a lot of crap on the internet that the kids can download and stuff, but with these programs, they don't really have to worry about searching for something and getting crappy results...

What if people don't have the internet?

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by mad_onion on 05-02-2005 at 04:37 PM

yeah i think encarta still is useful i dont have it installed but i can imagine it would be a lot easier than looking on the internet for info

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by .Roy on 05-02-2005 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Why would anyone want to waste over 4Gb of hard drive space installing Encarta or britannica if any info can be found online like wikipedia.org?

Like Traxor said. Many people are stupid when it comes to Internet. They wouldnt know where to go get the information and it just takes a lot of time.

So in like places like libraries where the peoples job doesnt have to do with computers. They might have less knowledge seeing as the Internet takes time to learn and get used too. So basically they just learn how to use a simple program.

Also what do you do if you lose your Internet Connection and you have a project due? You need to get information. This is the solution :P.
RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by RaceProUK on 05-02-2005 at 05:26 PM

Sites like Wikipedia are good, true; however, programs like Encarta are much more preferable for families and schools, as then the kids can be guaranteed accurate information safely. Also, the less they're allowed to explore the 'Net, the less likely they are to make a big mistake before they learn how to prevent it.

The Internet is a fine resource, if used correctly.

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by alegator on 05-03-2005 at 03:19 AM

Thanks everyone for their feedback on this subject. I do agree with the view about being more safe for kids or being useful for people not having internet access or not competent at searching the net. My question is: say you have broadband access and are good at searching info on the net, would you still have one of these encyclopedias installed? Do they have any added value?

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by .Roy on 05-03-2005 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Thanks everyone for their feedback on this subject. I do agree with the view about being more safe for kids or being useful for people not having internet access or not competent at searching the net. My question is: say you have broadband access and are good at searching info on the net, would you still have one of these encyclopedias installed? Do they have any added value?
Not really seeing as you can find any information you want over the web. But yet again some people arent experienced enough to get that information.

Also internet connection costs money when you can just get a cd for encarta and people can find their information without browsing the web. Seeing as this is cheaper.
RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by segosa on 05-03-2005 at 06:43 AM

This reminds me of one of the questions I came across in computing. "What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the Internet or an encyclopedia to find information"

Encyclopedia:
- Information is most likely to be accurate
- Easily accessible

- Disadvantage: limited information

Internet:
- A lot of information

- Disadvantage: children may come across things they shouldn't... :P
- Disadvantage: most information is irrelevant
- Disadvantage: searching may take a while

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by user27089 on 05-03-2005 at 06:45 AM

quote:
My question is: say you have broadband access and are good at searching info on the net, would you still have one of these encyclopedias installed? Do they have any added value?

Yes, I would still have one of these installed, purely because you may not find what you need on the internet, you can't tell me that you can find everything you want on the internet when you need it... It just won't happen :-/...

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica by alegator on 05-03-2005 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

Yes, I would still have one of these installed, purely because you may not find what you need on the internet, you can't tell me that you can find everything you want on the internet when you need it... It just won't happen :-/...

Well, I bet that neither Enc nor Brit will be able to provide you an answer 100% of all times, whereas the net will as its content is not limited.
The power of wikipedia is that millions of net users around the world like you and me are constantly editing content (of course these edits are reviewed/filtered by pro editors), thus making its content more unique and updated. I found it very complete and content not showing in either enc or brit.