Shoutbox

Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups (/showthread.php?tid=44081)

Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by PenguinBoy on 05-03-2005 at 04:54 PM

This might be a bit farfetched, but it would be really useful to have diferent nicknames, so that i don't have familly members reading profane words contained within. I can understand that this could be very difficult, but it's a thought.

Also to have different statuses visable to different contacts. like blocking someone, i could merely display myself as "busy" to them, instead of "offline". this would be extremely useful when i'm busy talking to a few certain people about work.

RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by Zephyr on 05-03-2005 at 05:01 PM

Sorry, but i'm pretty sure this isn't possible.

This was also suggested at Custom Nickname to contacts and Diff display name by group

RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by mwe99 on 05-03-2005 at 05:05 PM

Only way you could limit who sees you is online is by using the

/blockgrp <name>

function in plus

RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by Concord Dawn on 05-03-2005 at 06:38 PM

It was possible I believe, since Millenium_Edition built a program that allowed you to do that, but I don't believe that it is possible anymore.

RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by Millenium_edition on 05-03-2005 at 06:52 PM

custom nicknames per contact still is, but in conversations only. that means that people will all see the same nicknames in the contact list and on the top of the conversation windows.

but they'll see different stuff right before the says:

custom statuses per contact = no.
RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by PenguinBoy on 05-03-2005 at 08:06 PM

ah well, maybe the future will bring something new and crafty.

RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by dudeman_27 on 05-03-2005 at 11:39 PM

i think i heard this wasnt possible because the msn server would boot you if you tried to send a dif status.  Well couldn't you make it like the nick names where only if the other person has plus then they can see color in your name, well maybe you could make it so that if the other person has plus it will show you as busy on their list?..that might sound a bit confusing, tell me if you don't get it and i'll try to reword it.

RE: Sugestion: Multiple Nicknames/Statuses, for different contacts/groups by mwe99 on 05-04-2005 at 02:18 AM

If you e-mail MSN directly, they can give you an "official" answer.

http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx