Shoutbox

Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) (/showthread.php?tid=44095)

Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) by Luthion on 05-03-2005 at 08:24 PM

I tend to use lots of time on msn discussing math and physics homework. Often that includes some tricky eqations and formulas which is hard to write down in a way that is easy readable in msn.
So, my suggestion is to make a way to write mathematical expresions and send it with MsgPlus. Something like EqationEditor for MS Office. Don't really know how to explain it...
It might be quite hard to make, but personally I'd LOVE such a feature.

RE: Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) by saralk on 05-03-2005 at 08:32 PM

There is a Tex plugin for MSN Messenger, but iirc only works on windows messenger

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=36354&pid=355147

RE: Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) by Shezi on 05-03-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Luthion
I tend to use lots of time on msn discussing math and physics homework. Often that includes some tricky eqations and formulas which is hard to write down in a way that is easy readable in msn.
So, my suggestion is to make a way to write mathematical expresions and send it with MsgPlus. Something like EqationEditor for MS Office. Don't really know how to explain it...
It might be quite hard to make, but personally I'd LOVE such a feature.
really like ur idea.. but if u r running windows xp or win 2000 u can already write the spepcial characters from character map then paste it in msn.. but it would be nice if any one make a plugin for it.,.. :) till then use character map.. :)or u can also use word filter feature for this.... copy the word from character map then make a word filter for that word... and enjoy the mathematical chat.....(Y)
RE: RE: Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) by Luthion on 05-04-2005 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shezi
really like ur idea.. but if u r running windows xp or win 2000 u can already write the spepcial characters from character map then paste it in msn.. but it would be nice if any one make a plugin for it.,.. :) till then use character map.. :)or u can also use word filter feature for this.... copy the word from character map then make a word filter for that word... and enjoy the mathematical chat.....(Y)

Thanks!
The special characters isn't the main problem. Making fractions  and power-expressions is where stuff begin to look ugly.
For instance, f'(x ) = (2x^2*e^(5x-1))/(x^3+5x), looks kinda ugly :P

EDIT: Not to mention that "(x )" tured out to "(x)" without adding a space... 8-)
RE: Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) by Maniac on 05-04-2005 at 05:57 PM

I'm constantly writing equations on msn and it IS a bit annoying... but for complex stuff like that i just use handwriting... beats everything :p

RE: Suggestion: Stuff about math (a bit tricky maybe) by zaidgs on 05-06-2005 at 10:21 PM

try out handwritting, it works perfectly for me!