Shoutbox

Best program to rip music - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Best program to rip music (/showthread.php?tid=44155)

Best program to rip music by steVenB on 05-05-2005 at 02:06 AM

I was just wondering what are your thoughts on the best program to use to rip music. I currently use Windows Media Player. I rip them at full quality (192 kbps)
Thanks(H)

RE: Best program to rip music by John Anderton on 05-05-2005 at 04:29 AM

OK here are some nice programs that i have used ;)

1) Windows Media Player (A.K.A WMP)
U are already using this so i wont say much ... but i tht this can only rip in wmv but eh ... who carez .... other nicer options comming up ;)
Oh ya u can rip in other formats :$ :P

2) Winamp (5.0x Series)
In the winamp 5 series press Alt + L to open winamp library then goto devices and underthat u'll see ur cd rom drive. Click it and then u can see the rip button to the left. ;)
Click on it and check out the cd ripping preferences ... u can only goto about 2x or 8x or something in the winamp 5.0x series and u can only goto unlimited ripping speed (max speed possible by ur pc) when u get the pro ... ie when u have winamp pro 5.0x
(Which i do :P)

3) Music Match Juke Box (A.K.A MMJB)
It was the 1st ripper i used to use ... quite good too ... but u need to buy it and meh ... when winamp does the same thing for free so why download a huge mmjb installer ... I used to get it till 7.2 or i think 8 then i stopped :S
Meh ... stick to winamp
:bow: Winamp :bow:

RE: Best program to rip music by Dempsey on 05-05-2005 at 08:08 AM

i use CDex 

Its Free and it's also open source :)

RE: Best program to rip music by Tourist on 05-05-2005 at 09:52 AM

WMP all the way for ripping at 192 :D

RE: Best program to rip music by Pyroteq on 05-05-2005 at 10:57 AM

Itunes rips nicely, you can choose format and encoding speed etc

RE: Best program to rip music by -rafy- on 05-05-2005 at 01:25 PM

yeah i use itunes. Its good :)

RE: Best program to rip music by buzz on 05-05-2005 at 07:49 PM

media player most of the time....when the cd has some kind of protection(like only opens in some random  player with no "rip"option...like the starsailor cd) i use Cdex

RE: Best program to rip music by user27089 on 05-05-2005 at 07:51 PM

I've always used Windows Media Player 9+, as they are always reliable, and don't take a long time, they're also 120Kb I think... So yeah, that's my choice...

Winamp is no good unless you've paid for it ... it rips at 4x if you haven't...

RE: Best program to rip music by Anubis on 05-05-2005 at 07:56 PM

I did use dBpowerAMP, but it starts to have encoding trials and stuff. So I downloaded an old free version and put on a few random MP3 codecs onto it (I mainly use LAME and blade) at around 128kbps.

quote:
Originally posted by steVenB
I currently use Windows Media Player. I rip them at full quality (192 kbps)
Please note this is not full quality, formats like MP3 and WMA never rip to full CD quality. Whether you can hear the difference or not is another matter. Some people can listen to a 96kbps file and not hear any problem; some people can hear problems on 320kbps files. It depends on how sensitive your ears are and how good the codec is. In any case, when you compress something, you will always loose some quality.
RE: RE: Best program to rip music by rix on 05-05-2005 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
i use CDex 

Its Free and it's also open source :)

I also use CDex, cause it's freeware, fast and reliable with supported ripping quality to 320kbps. WMP doesn't give as good quality as CDex, probrably for the lame decoder?! As said before, 192kbps is not the full quality, 320 is and it's only with MP3. If you want to get the best out of your sound, I advise to use APE/FLAC format.
RE: Best program to rip music by rav0 on 05-06-2005 at 10:41 AM

I always rip to wma lossless with WMP. Later, I usually encode with wmenc to lower bitrates for.

If you don't want to use WMP, dBpowerAMP is said to be excellent. Their website says it is the fastest ripper available, I believe it, but I don't really use it. My friends do, though.

RE: Best program to rip music by user2319 on 05-08-2005 at 10:04 AM

cdparanoia with some nice interface.

RE: Best program to rip music by John Anderton on 05-08-2005 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Its Free and it's also open source

Whats its use for us if it is open sourced :S I tht that was for ppl who wanna sit n develop it :S
RE: Best program to rip music by Concord Dawn on 05-08-2005 at 01:02 PM

I use either WMP to rip to loseless wma with variable bitrate, or I use Winamp to rip to m4a at 192 kbps. But then again, I really don't rip music of CDs anymore, seeing as I don't buy them too much.

RE: Best program to rip music by John Anderton on 05-08-2005 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
But then again, I really don't rip music of CDs anymore, seeing as I don't buy them too much.

(Y) .... same here except i buy them and listen to them on my stereo or
home theater ... so i dont wanna rip them in the 1st case :P

Why dont ppl use something that is used to play the stuff as well as
rip it .... wont that be better ... thats what i prefer ... :D

RE: RE: Best program to rip music by user2319 on 05-08-2005 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Its Free and it's also open source

Whats its use for us if it is open sourced :S I tht that was for ppl who wanna sit n develop it :S

The use is that we do not have to depend on one company/person, rather, anyone can continue developing on it. Also, if the main developers of the program make a decision which is seen as "bad" by some people (or a whole lot of people, whatever) they can fork the project. This is good for you, even if you're not a developer.
RE: Best program to rip music by YottabyteWizard on 05-08-2005 at 09:10 PM

I use MusicMatch Jukebox, it's nice, fast, too much options. :dodgyomar: