Shoutbox

MSN Messenger huge resource hog - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger huge resource hog (/showthread.php?tid=44162)

MSN Messenger huge resource hog by alegator on 05-05-2005 at 06:29 AM

Without MSN Messenger clients open I have a commit charge of 268MB used (task manager read). When I open 3 MSN clients (latest 7.0777 version) my usage goes up to 756MB!. So the 3 MSN clients are using approx.500MB of precious resources...why? Is this normal??

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by RaceProUK on 05-05-2005 at 10:41 AM

When you do Ctrl+Alt+Del, how much are the individual Messengers using? The one I have running right now is using 23MB.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by -rafy- on 05-05-2005 at 11:52 AM

mine are currently using ~11mb. So dosent sound normal.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by Sypher on 05-05-2005 at 12:35 PM

Mine uses ~ 27 mb...

I have my suspicion that this is caused by patches... The Mess patch caused me to use around 40 mb mem, and brought be a instable MSN....

I suggest you download a "fresh" 7.0.0777 and patch it up to 7.0.0813, this should solve some speed issues like with signing in...

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by alegator on 05-05-2005 at 12:37 PM

In my case each msnmsgr.exe is using approx.9MB, but for some reason it is making the system load up to 800MB and going up with time.
The only patch I have is Plus! (using ~2.5MB) and A-Patch (which I guess is not running). By the way where can I get the 813 patch from? I found this klink from messs but it's beta, not final:

If I end each of the msnmgr.exe processes the commit charge count goes down below 300MB. Anyone has an explanation for this?

Mnjul Edit: You are not allowed to post links to private Messenger builds, or links containing its download information.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by Sypher on 05-05-2005 at 01:18 PM

You can find the patch here at the MSNblog

I see the link they gave is down.. Try NoRoom's space:

There are 2 links there, 1 hosted at the spaces.. That one should up :)

Mnjul Edit: You are not allowed to post links to private Messenger builds, or links containing its download information.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by alegator on 05-05-2005 at 01:31 PM

Thanks Sypher. I already uninstalled/reinstalled MSN 7.0.777, applied the 813 QFE patch and then applied latest A-Patch. Everything working fine and stable, but the usage count as shown in Task Manager is still the same, about 855MB for 3 MSN clients open. As said, if I close the 3 clients the system usage goes down below 300MB so it's MSN that's wasting huge resources for some reason.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by brian on 05-05-2005 at 01:38 PM

That is really weird. I get around 22 MB usage by it (MSN Messenger), and I think that is alot.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by Purity on 05-05-2005 at 02:12 PM

I get about 40 000K.  :S

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
but for some reason it is making the system load up to 800MB and going up with time.
What do you mean by "system load up to 800MB" and "the commit charge count"? I think you're confusing some things here... Can you post a screenshot of the thing you mean where that figure is shown?
RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by alegator on 05-05-2005 at 02:31 PM

Cookie, when I open the Windows task Manager and click on the "Processes" tab you have a list of the running processes and below, at the bottom of the window there's a "Commit Charge" reading. When I reboot WinXP that reading is usually about 268MB and as I open applications of course this reading increases. What I'm saying is that having 3 MSN clients open (which adds 3 msnmsgr.exe tasks to the list) make the commit charge increase by a whopping 500MB approx. This can be concluded because when I end the MSN tasks (eventhough each of them uses ~9MB) the commit charge goes down to 300MB from over 800MB.

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by CookieRevised on 05-05-2005 at 02:52 PM

thus the "total memory usage"...

Well, if it goes down again when you close the applications, then there is no problem.

Yes, it can be much at first sight, but remember that Windows uses page files and file mapping and stores many data on HDD as virtual memory. If, for some reason, your PC is a bit slow, has some low memory, is busy with other things, or what not, this figure can go up considerably. Also remember that Windows isn't that accurate in reporting memory usage.

Although an increase of 250MB is indeed much and maybe abnormal. Check if you have the same increase without applying any patches (other then polygamy)...

RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog by alegator on 05-05-2005 at 03:04 PM

I only patched the 813 build with A-Patch. I'm also using Plus!.