Shoutbox

USB pen Format - Fail :S - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: USB pen Format - Fail :S (/showthread.php?tid=44186)

USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 04:09 PM

PLEASSSSSSSE HELP

i tried to use my 128mb usb pen drive today in school and it wouldn't work.....i've just got home and plugged it in to my pc....and got 'g: is not formatted. would you like to format this drive now?' i click yes, set the options i wanted and pressed start...it starts to format but when the bar is full i get a message 'drive g could not be formatted'

i reaaaaaaaaally need this pen drive to work:| i would use a website like streamload to transfer work but the school blocked it....

how can i fix it? or get it to work? thanks

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by mwe99 on 05-05-2005 at 04:33 PM

Did you unplug the device without stopping it when you usually remove it from the PC?

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by Chris.1 on 05-05-2005 at 04:37 PM

Can you try it in another USB port?

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Did you unplug the device without stopping it when you usually remove it from the PC?
i always remove it when i dont use it...

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
Can you try it in another USB port?
ive tryed my pc, my other pc, and 3 pcs in my school......
and the usb ports on my (all) dont let me format it:(

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by Chris.1 on 05-05-2005 at 05:01 PM

Is there a write protect switch on it?

Try chosing "quick format"

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
Is there a write protect switch on it?

Try chosing "quick format"

it doesnt have any switches at all. i cant access the data it says it need to be formatted:S

quick format doesnt work either:(
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by mwe99 on 05-05-2005 at 05:19 PM

Hm the data could be corrupted when you removed it from the PC. Did you go to Safely Remove Hardware and select the pen?

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Hm the data could be corrupted when you removed it from the PC. Did you go to Safely Remove Hardware and select the pen?

nah... on my school computers it said could not be accessed the data is corrupt....

but on both my computers it says drive needs formatting
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by mwe99 on 05-05-2005 at 05:22 PM

If you didn't remove it safely then it most likely corrupted

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
If you didn't remove it safely then it most likely corrupted

:S how do i fix this:|:|:|:|:| my parents wont buy me a new one. and i reli aint got the money right now :|
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by user35870 on 05-05-2005 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
how do i fix this

I think the only way to fix it is formatting but that isn't working what was the last file you put on it before it stopped working?
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
quote:
how do i fix this

I think the only way to fix it is formatting but that isn't working what was the last file you put on it before it stopped working?

a portable firefox but in a .zip archive
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by user35870 on 05-05-2005 at 06:07 PM

what make is it? there mite be formatting software from the  manufacture

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 06:18 PM

the only thing on the case is 'USB 128mb' the chips (see through case) say 'hynix' and another has a 'SM' symbol

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by albert on 05-05-2005 at 07:02 PM

I had this trouble with my portable mp3 player.. i didnt want to quick reformat or reformat at all, but when i had formatted my hard drive ( computer ) well it worked.. id suggest you trying on a computer on which u never plugged the pen in.. i think you could make it work from there.. aint sure though.. but you don't have anything to loose.. do u?!

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
I had this trouble with my portable mp3 player.. i didnt want to quick reformat or reformat at all, but when i had formatted my hard drive ( computer ) well it worked.. id suggest you trying on a computer on which u never plugged the pen in.. i think you could make it work from there.. aint sure though.. but you don't have anything to loose.. do u?!

hm spose, ill try my m8s computer or my teachers laptop if he has it, lol
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by Supersonicdarky on 05-05-2005 at 08:43 PM

quote:
g: is not formatted. would you like to format this drive now?

what a conicidence, i had the same thing, it happened to me because i was running portable firefox and then someone pulled the jumpdrive out as a joke, it didn't let me reformat at scholl, but it did it fine at home :)
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by supersonicdarky
what a conicidence, i had the same thing, it happened to me because i was running portable firefox and then someone pulled the jumpdrive out as a joke, it didn't let me reformat at scholl, but it did it fine at home :)
at school it said i dont have permissions to format it (my school dont let you) and when i got home said it couldnt be formatted :'(
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by ShawnZ on 05-05-2005 at 08:51 PM

Make sure the filesystem is 'FAT32' and if it still does not work make it 'FAT16' or just 'FAT' and then try formatting again.

Make sure you double click the hardware icon in the corner of your screen, select your pen drive, and click the Stop button before removing it, otherwise it may get corrupted!

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
Make sure the filesystem is 'FAT32' and if it still does not work make it 'FAT16' or just 'FAT' and then try formatting again.

Make sure you double click the hardware icon in the corner of your screen, select your pen drive, and click the Stop button before removing it, otherwise it may get corrupted!

dont have FAT16 :( and FAT doesnt work:(:(:(

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by DJeX on 05-05-2005 at 09:19 PM

How about useing the software that come with it to format.

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by ShawnZ on 05-05-2005 at 09:27 PM

It usually wont come with software, since it acts as a normal drive in windows and your suppose to format it that way.

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-05-2005 at 09:39 PM

my uncle works in it, i asked him...he said 'You could try repartioning it using WINXP's built in disk management tools! '

what does he mean? thanks

EDIT: ok found that but couldnt see anything at all about partitioning it or formating it....it also said the drive is 'healthy' ^o)

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by Supersonicdarky on 05-06-2005 at 01:55 AM

[offtopic]How do you make the jumpdrives work on windows 98? whenever i plug it in, it always asks me to install software, if i click cancel, it doesn't recognize it in my computer. tho it works fine on xp. is there a special file i can put on my drive that will automaticly install it or make it work at all?[/offtopic]

RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by Concord Dawn on 05-06-2005 at 03:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by supersonicdarky
[offtopic]How do you make the jumpdrives work on windows 98? whenever i plug it in, it always asks me to install software, if i click cancel, it doesn't recognize it in my computer. tho it works fine on xp. is there a special file i can put on my drive that will automaticly install it or make it work at all?[/offtopic]

No, you need the drivers. The way WinXP works is that it has a list of generic drivers that it uses until you get the right ones (if you do). Win98 doesn't have this, simply because it's older. You need to install the drivers.
RE: RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by rav0 on 05-06-2005 at 09:58 AM

quote:
my uncle works in it, i asked him...he said 'You could try repartioning it using WINXP's built in disk management tools! '

what does he mean? thanks

EDIT: ok found that but couldnt see anything at all about partitioning it or formating it....it also said the drive is 'healthy' ^o)

Are you sure you found what he meant? To get to Disk Management in Windows XP click Start > Run and then type diskmgmt.msc. Once there, right-click the volume, and then pick format from the menu.Aaargh, just discovered i have only 5% free space on my e: volume.

A note about using the Safely Remove Hardware tray icon:
By default, Windows sets flash disks (possibly all devices) to be optimised for quick removal, with no need for icon's use, even though the icon will always appear.

A note about the plug-and-play nature of USB:
Note the delay and new hardware found messages when using a USB device for the first time on a computer. Even using a USB device once on a computer, the system has drivers for the device installed, irreversibly AFAIK. Not that it really bloats your system, but it will let using a device on a system that hasn't seen it before a difference (advantage?).

Update:
My SONY MICROVAULT technically isn't a flash disk, it's a USB hub, with a flash disk and sone other stuff attached. I don't know if it applies here or if it makes any difference.
RE: RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by Supersonicdarky on 05-06-2005 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
generic drivers

I can't install, because if i do, it will still be deleted the next time it's restarted, maybe i can put some kind of driver on a floppy so it would recognize it?
RE: USB pen Format - Fail :S by M73A on 05-06-2005 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Are you sure you found what he meant? To get to Disk Management in Windows XP click Start > Run and then type diskmgmt.msc. Once there, right-click the volume, and then pick format from the menu.Aaargh, just discovered i have only 5% free space on my e: volume.

ive tryed that but it comes up 'format could not complete'