Shoutbox

Request: Auto Refresh in forums - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Request: Auto Refresh in forums (/showthread.php?tid=44206)

Request: Auto Refresh in forums by user27089 on 05-05-2005 at 08:12 PM

Well DZ, don't really want you to work to hard, which I know you would never want to do, after a hard days laziness... :p...

So here goes:

I propose that you should have an auto-refresh in all of the sub-forums, such as testing and trashing, general chit chat etc. So that those who don't go into latest posts can benefit from almost the same thing in there... If you know what I mean...

i doubt it would be too much work, as you may be able to steal code from other website :).

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by crank on 05-05-2005 at 08:28 PM

that would be sick,
you try to click a link and suddenly woops page refresh and another thread is in that place...

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by user27089 on 05-05-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by çr@nK
that would be sick,
you try to click a link and suddenly woops page refresh and another thread is in that place...

doesn't have that problem when using it in latest posts does it :)...
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by rix on 05-05-2005 at 08:30 PM

Idea may be good, but I also wouldn't use it. But I think, if someone adds it to forum, there's also possibility to turn it off ;)

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by Shezi on 05-05-2005 at 08:34 PM

well i m using opera browser and it has the feature of auto refresh ... and i think its more convenient as it also had the feature to set the time for refreshing the page....

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by user27089 on 05-05-2005 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
Idea may be good, but I also wouldn't use it. But I think, if someone adds it to forum, there's also possibility to turn it off ;)

If you go to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php it refreshes every 30 seconds or so, and it's really useful, you can turn it on and off aswell...

You should try it... I use it constantly...
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by Zephyr on 05-05-2005 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by rix

If you go to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php it refreshes every 30 seconds or so, and it's really useful, you can turn it on and off aswell...

You should try it... I use it constantly...

I use it on latest posts as well, so surely it would be easy to put into sub-forums. I think this feature should definitely be added.

I leave latest posts open, and when i go back to it after posting in another tab, its always updated so its really useful.
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by mwe99 on 05-06-2005 at 09:19 AM

Should definitely have an auto refresh option to decide individually to use it or not :)

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by user27089 on 05-06-2005 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Should definitely have an auto refresh option to decide individually to use it or not :)

You can use it anyway, and it shouldn't intefere with the Latest Posts one, as you can turn that on and off accordingly :).
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by Dempsey on 05-06-2005 at 09:32 AM

You can just use the latest Posts refresh thing, but use the new 'Hide Forums' bit at the bottom so it only sows the forum you want.  Problem solved.

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by user27089 on 05-06-2005 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
You can just use the latest Posts refresh thing, but use the new 'Hide Forums' bit at the bottom so it only sows the forum you want.  Problem solved.

Not really, because that means having to change all of the options over and over again to view the forum that you want... It doesn't really solve any problems... It just makes you unable to see other things that you may want to see... Anyway, I prefer the auto refresh in sub-forums feature... Seems that it would be useful...
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by -dt- on 05-06-2005 at 11:45 AM

Hmm well because I didnt think  wdz would add it , I created a greasemonkey script to do that it even adds the "Refresh is On" link.

you need atleast greasemonkey 0.3(get it here) to run it because it uses data storeage functions (GM_getValue and GM_setValue)

Right click and hit install HERE

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by WDZ on 05-06-2005 at 07:14 PM

quote:
i doubt it would be too much work, as you may be able to steal code from other website :).
Any n00b can add a meta refresh tag :-/
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Gary
try XMLHttpRequest
I've heard of that because of GMail, but I've never messed with it. Opera (my favorite browser) only recented added support for it. Anyway, there's no XML involved... :dodgy:
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by -dt- on 05-07-2005 at 04:36 AM

blah XMLhttprequest is way too much truble just for a simple refresh
and then what are you going to try to do? just replace the document
with the recived data like

code:

document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].parentNode.innerHTML = recdata;

(i forgot the documentobject thing so eh thats a easy way to get to the
source of the page anyway because document.innerHTML is dodgy....)

which will cause the entire page to "flash" so eh I say the meta tag is
there for the reson to refresh so use it when you need to refresh ,
unless you want to refresh using javascript then I recomend using a
setTimeout to reload the page.

sorry but I just hate it when people try to suggest using XMLhttprequest for everything.

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by WDZ on 05-07-2005 at 05:37 AM

quote:
php, asp, perl, cgi
wtf, why are you comparing a markup language (XML) with programming languages? :dodgy:
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by -dt- on 05-07-2005 at 05:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
php, asp, perl, cgi

wtf, why are you comparing a markup language (XML) with programming languages? :dodgy:

and ones that are all compiled(kinda) and ran by the time you even start to recive the data for the xmlhttprequest =/

* -dt- dosnt even so why he mentioned them , thinks maby he ment those sort of pages you can recive or something =/

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by John Anderton on 05-07-2005 at 07:30 AM

I just dont think its of much use :P
Its like the point to show t&t in the threads u took part in tag that i was suggesting ... it can be done manually but that way it takes more time .... this saves time but meh ... dz aint coding em :P

RE: RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by CookieRevised on 05-07-2005 at 10:39 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by çr@nK
that would be sick,

doesn't have that problem when using it in latest posts does it :)...

yes, you'll have the same problem. There is absolutely no difference...

And because of this I will never use or turn on such a feature. Besides, is it that hard to press "reload" button or <F5> in your browser?

----

And what's the deal with all this XML, ASP, PHP, XMLHttpRequest, etc nonsense? To refresh a page every x seconds all you have to add is 1 meta-tag or 1 line of javascript, as WDZ already said :/

----

[RANT]
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
it can be done manually but that way it takes more time .... this saves time...
I realy can't understand how people can say and think that such things will save time (just like that other thread where someone suggested an auto-popup of your contactlist when hoovering over the messenger icon)... They really don't!

With auto-refresh things, auto-popups, hoovering over something, etc. you need to WAIT till the script/program/action kicks in. This takes far more time then simply pressing 1 button, or clicking on a mouse button!!!!

So instead of being that stupidly lazy to press 1 single button, learn to use the basic default and already built in options/buttons/etc of Windows and other programs. I bet most of all the people who suggest such "time-saving" things don't even know the full scope and possebilities of their mouse and keyboard...

So don't use the "it saves time" argument, that's complete nonsense...

[/RANT]
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by WDZ on 05-07-2005 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[RANT]

I realy can't understand how people can say and think that such things will save time (just like that other thread where someone suggested an auto-popup of your contactlist when hoovering over the messenger icon)... They really don't!
Yeah, it is kinda useless. The only times I've actually found it useful were when...
A) I was viewing another page with the Latest Posts visible in the background, and it refreshed automatically, letting me know there were new posts.
B) I was quickly switching through my windows and came across the Latest Posts, which was already fresh and up-to-date without me having to click anything.
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by saralk on 05-07-2005 at 07:53 PM

Im not 100% sure, but i think that Opera does it automatically for you. If you have a window in the background, it will refresh it every so often.

If it does: <3 Opera
If it doesn't: <3 Opera

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by CookieRevised on 05-07-2005 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Im not 100% sure, but i think that Opera does it automatically for you. If you have a window in the background, it will refresh it every so often.

You also have many plugins for every browser (although I didn't came across one for MSIE :P) which enables you to auto-refresh any page you want.
RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by Sunshine on 05-07-2005 at 09:30 PM

None for MSIE, but IE based browsers do have that option.

F.e. i use Avant and i got the following options (no need for a plugin, all is there standard):
Auto refresh the current: disabled, 10 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min and the same options for All windows :chrongue:

I like Avant, it's fast, highly configurable and very complete in its options...

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by ddunk on 05-07-2005 at 09:34 PM

I had one for MSIE a while ago, dunno what happened to it. it just added another toolbar.

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by saralk on 05-07-2005 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

You also have many plugins for every browser (although I didn't came across one for MSIE :P) which enables you to auto-refresh any page you want.

I meant that it does it uber intelligently, so if you are looking at the page, it doesnt refresh it, but if it is in the background and you are looking at another tab, it does refresh it.

RE: Request: Auto Refresh in forums by WDZ on 05-08-2005 at 03:33 AM

quote:
I don't think so. :-/ Anyway, I wouldn't like that... browsers shouldn't do things like that unless you tell them to.
quote:
:p
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
I had one for MSIE a while ago, dunno what happened to it. it just added another toolbar.
Yeah, there is/was one for IE, because Johnny_Mac talked about it a long time ago. :-/