Shoutbox

software for playing dvds - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: software for playing dvds (/showthread.php?tid=44313)

software for playing dvds by Nathan on 05-07-2005 at 05:39 PM

any good FREE software for playing dvds

RE: software for playing dvds by Ezra on 05-07-2005 at 05:48 PM

Windows Media Player :P

You do need a DVD-ROM and a DVD-Decoder... you should be abled to find the decoder on the internet if you google for it

Also Media Player Classic is a nice player, or try BSPlayer

RE: software for playing dvds by M73A on 05-07-2005 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Windows Media Player :P

You do need a DVD-ROM and a DVD-Decoder... you should be abled to find the decoder on the internet if you google for it

Also Media Player Classic is a nice player, or try BSPlayer

windows media player doesnt lay my dvds:S how can i make it?

many pay programs can be free...but i dont know about things like this...(A)

but legally... lol, google took me here http://www.cliprex.com/
RE: software for playing dvds by RaceProUK on 05-07-2005 at 06:08 PM

You can also try searching:
http://www.download.com/
http://www.sourceforge.net/

And, of course, the ever-useful
http://www.google.com/

RE: software for playing dvds by Dane on 05-07-2005 at 06:15 PM

Again, as mentioned above, you need to have a DVD Capable drive.  CD drives will NOT play DVDs.

RE: software for playing dvds by M73A on 05-07-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Again, as mentioned above, you need to have a DVD Capable drive.  CD drives will NOT play DVDs.

i have a dvd-rw :dodgy:

but i get an error when playing dvds with wmp...have to use power dvd or somehting else
RE: software for playing dvds by mwe99 on 05-07-2005 at 06:36 PM

I use PowerDVD which is free (i think) and works well :-)

RE: software for playing dvds by user35870 on 05-07-2005 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
PowerDVD

No powerdvd is apayed package but it came installed on my computer.
RE: software for playing dvds by mwe99 on 05-07-2005 at 06:49 PM

msn_plus_freak, didn't you get any DVD player when you got the DVD/Computer (any reputable company would have gave you software to play them) but Windows Media Player (as suggested) and RealPlayer play them

RE: software for playing dvds by WDZ on 05-07-2005 at 07:08 PM

I got a free copy of "CyberLink PowerDVD 5" when I bought a new DVD drive. I haven't installed it yet though... :dodgy:

RE: software for playing dvds by Dane on 05-07-2005 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I got a free copy of "CyberLink PowerDVD 5" when I bought a new DVD drive. I haven't installed it yet though... :dodgy:
Me too...Shortly thereafter that drive stopped working and I now have a CD-ROM drive again :(
RE: software for playing dvds by CookieRevised on 05-07-2005 at 09:01 PM

PowerDVD (the one I swear by) is not completely free, it has a trial period, but as said by others you often get a free copy when you buy a dvd drive.

PowerDVD has options which not many other DVD play programs has, and if they have it I find PowerDVD much easier to use and config. (note that PowerDVD is also the only package of many I tried which is capable of playing some special types of DVD's I have, so... <= pure experience talk and I didn't tried every possible program there is of course so maybe there are better ones, but I doubt it :D:p)...

*AHUM*and it is also easy to 'crack' the macrovision and operation protection, region protection, RPC-I and II on some DVD's if you're using PowerDVD*AHUM*who said that???? not me :P

RE: software for playing dvds by Zephyr on 05-07-2005 at 09:11 PM

CyberLink PowerDVD XP 4.0 came installed on my computer and its the only dvd program i use. I haven't really tried out any others, but i definitely think this is a really good program and i've never had any problems with it.

I think the bookmark feature is great where i can bookmark points in different dvds and it will remember it for next time i play the dvd. I don't know if other players have this feature but i think its good.

RE: software for playing dvds by Nathan on 05-08-2005 at 07:00 AM

no i didnt cos i made my pc myself (even though im only 12)

RE: software for playing dvds by -dt- on 05-08-2005 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by msn_plus_freak
that dosnt mean anything , if you bought a dvd drive you normally get dvd software with it ,
I got powerdvd aswell as other people and i recomend it , its just so easy to use.
RE: software for playing dvds by Nathan on 05-08-2005 at 07:12 AM

no i think it was in my mums pc she got top notch one so she ghave it to me so i dont no were its gone to.

RE: software for playing dvds by -Bogan- on 05-09-2005 at 07:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by msn_plus_freak
that dosnt mean anything , if you bought a dvd drive you normally get dvd software with it ,
I got powerdvd aswell as other people and i recomend it , its just so easy to use.

Same here Power dvd  is great because it's so easy to use and was free. Also I love the whole capture frame thang it's so much better than taking a screen shot.
RE: software for playing dvds by Ash_ on 05-09-2005 at 07:27 AM

PowerDVD is great, but i suggest just getting the right Codecs and view
the movie through Windows Media Player. it's great for movies.

RE: software for playing dvds by CookieRevised on 05-09-2005 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
PowerDVD is great, but i suggest just getting the right Codecs and view
the movie through Windows Media Player. it's great for movies.
Why? WMP doesn't give the options PowerDVD offers (options you often need; I'm thinking about the excellent choice in color setups and other "tweaks" to experience the full scope of a movie). Although if you don't have PowerDVD, WMP is a nice alternative for simply playing movies, but that's it... If you have the choice, choose PowerDVD over WMP...

RE: software for playing dvds by WDZ on 05-09-2005 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
choose PowerDVD over WMP
Doesn't installing PowerDVD make WMP able to play DVDs? You don't have to use the PowerDVD player, only the decoder, right?
RE: software for playing dvds by CookieRevised on 05-09-2005 at 03:15 PM

PowerDVD installs codecs. Good codecs are often independent of the actual software, so yeah, when installing PowerDVD you also automatically enable WMP to play them.

(But you still wouldn't be able to use the many nice features of PowerDVD in WMP of course. And why installing PowerDVD just to play DVD's in WMP anyways? that doesn't make much sense :D)

Oh and in my experience, WMP shows a total different (wrong) color temperature for some DVD's also. It doesn't respect (changing) aspect ratio's as it should. And the interface, compared to PowerDVD's is very clumsy (try to change scenes, languages, subtitles, sound codecs, camera angles, etc... it is very clumsy, if not impossible.)

in short WMP *beeps* for playing DVD's...

RE: software for playing dvds by WDZ on 05-09-2005 at 03:42 PM

quote:
PowerDVD installs codecs. Good codecs are often independent of the actual software, so yeah, when installing PowerDVD you also automatically enable WMP to play them.
Cool. :p

I wonder if you can get these DVD codecs for free, separately? From the web searching I've done, I get the impression that you can't.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/buypacks.aspx ¬¬

quote:
And why installing PowerDVD just to play DVD's in WMP anyways? that doesn't make much sense
Yes it does, if you installed it to be able to play DVDs. That's quite an improvement. :p

I don't think I should have to install a whole new player application if I just want to watch a DVD on my PC and I'm already used to watching all my videos in WMP. :-/

[Image: wdz.gif]
RE: RE: software for playing dvds by CookieRevised on 05-10-2005 at 03:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
And why installing PowerDVD just to play DVD's in WMP anyways? that doesn't make much sense
Yes it does, if you installed it to be able to play DVDs. That's quite an improvement. :p
I don't think I should have to install a whole new player application if I just want to watch a DVD on my PC and I'm already used to watching all my videos in WMP. :-/
Well, but that's my point... Why using the lacking interface of WMP (and the bad rendering and all) when you have installed a specific dedicated program to play DVD's in the first place. The added option in WMP to see DVD's when you install PowerDVD for example, is nothing more then that, a quick crude option to quickly review something on a DVD (in bad quality) or something.

(This is indeed something MS should sort out with own good and decent codecs or something. But licenses, rights, copyrighted stuff, etc are the things which prevent this I think; hence you need to "buy" the codecs if you don't want to install another 3rd party application (which you need to buy also in most cases))
RE: software for playing dvds by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-10-2005 at 03:45 AM

I suggest PowerDVD, great program for watching DVD's , but i recommend you that you close all programs first before you play the movie.

RE: software for playing dvds by CookieRevised on 05-10-2005 at 03:57 AM

indeed, closing other programs frees up some more resources for the decoder to do its job. But this goes also for any other DVD playing software as well... (although on today's systems, the hardware buffer of your DVD player and video acceleration settings in Windows have more influence in the playback performance then the open programs you may have running)

RE: software for playing dvds by Concord Dawn on 05-10-2005 at 04:02 AM

InterVideo WinDVD > * kthx.

It is extremely light on CPU (I should know, I can run it on a 500MHz machine perfectly fine), minimal interface.

RE: software for playing dvds by user27089 on 05-10-2005 at 07:13 AM

I like using InterActual Player, purely because it's easy, and it comes with most warner brothers dvds, for free... and most warner brothers films or other film companies, skin it aswell for you, and it's really cool lol...

But I also use, PowerDVD, Windows Media Player and Intervideo WinDVD

RE: software for playing dvds by Nathan on 05-10-2005 at 04:58 PM

were do u get InterActual Player and is it free (im a cheap skate) lol

RE: software for playing dvds by mwe99 on 05-10-2005 at 05:15 PM

InterActual Player

:- http://player.interactual.com/

Not free I don't believe unless you are on a Mac