Shoutbox

Blog Software? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Blog Software? (/showthread.php?tid=44334)

Blog Software? by KeyStorm on 05-08-2005 at 01:37 AM

A group of friend and I are going to publish a blog, we have several ideas and topics, but we need to choose a software to run it.
I just tested WordPress, b2evolution and Serendipity. I must say that they are very good and actually very similar in many aspects. I somehow seemed to feel more confortale at b2evo, but I must reckon I don't know enough about blogging to consider that a valid reason to pick up any of them.

I'd like to know what's your prefered blogware and why. If you can make a little review or a little comparison between different softwares I'd be very pleased. Also try to be as objective as possible, because there are different blogging needs and a blogware cannot be the best for every taste.

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

RE: Blog Software? by user13774 on 05-08-2005 at 09:31 AM

Here is a chart with a lot of blog software:

http://www.asymptomatic.net/blogbreakdown.htm

The site is kinda out-dated (if you check the version numbers), but at least you got a list of available blogging software :P

RE: Blog Software? by user27089 on 05-08-2005 at 11:27 AM

I have personally always used Word Press, and it's very easy to customize and things, so I would definitely go for that :).

RE: Blog Software? by segosa on 05-08-2005 at 11:36 AM

You're good at PHP, KeyStorm, make your own, that's what I did. :P

RE: Blog Software? by KeyStorm on 05-08-2005 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Here is a chart with a lot of blog software:

http://www.asymptomatic.net/blogbreakdown.htm

The site is kinda out-dated (if you check the version numbers), but at least you got a list of available blogging software :P

I've seen that before, but the only thing I realised is that it's a spam page that opens like 3 or 4 popups.

WordPress might be a safe choice, since many famous bloggers use it, but this is not always a guarantee of success.

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
You're good at PHP, KeyStorm, make your own, that's what I did.

Sigh... If I had enough time in my hands... :(
RE: Blog Software? by John Anderton on 05-08-2005 at 12:40 PM

Imo wordpress > *

Nice themes n everything ;)

U can see my site ... nice theme ;)

KS .... get :bow: Wp :bow:

RE: Blog Software? by TheGeek on 05-08-2005 at 12:49 PM

I also use Wordpress and I must say that I really like it.
I also made my own theme for wordpress and a custom plugin.

Making themes and plugins to extend wordpress is really easy and very useful.
It also makes you look geekier ;).

RE: Blog Software? by Jhrono on 05-08-2005 at 12:53 PM

Wordpress owns all man:)...

(Y) for word press..

RE: Blog Software? by Jeronimo on 05-08-2005 at 12:59 PM

Another vote for Wordpress. I'll be honest and admit I've not tried many different blogs, just WP and Movable Type.

I found that Wordpress is easy to set up and use, its being constantly developed, and has a great level of support and plugins, making it very powerful. Its popularity is a testiment to its success, and I think its probably the leading blog software by now.

I think you are already doing the best thing possible, trying out all the different ones and making your own mind up :)

RE: Blog Software? by KeyStorm on 05-08-2005 at 02:18 PM

If only WP had locale configuration like b2evo... (this includes date and time formatpresets for all locales and translations are included in the package).

However it has a nice admin panel and the ping/trackback seems to work finest (Hey I just discovered what those actually meant :P).

Actually I tested b2evo and WP at localhost and Serendipity at OS-CMS, a site you may visit to check the life demos of many CMS apps including blogware.

Well thanks a lot for your suggestions, I now have a clearer idea about blogger's choice :)