Shoutbox

/ Commands in chat window - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: / Commands in chat window (/showthread.php?tid=44352)

/ Commands in chat window by H4Inf on 05-08-2005 at 09:22 AM

I think the whole command function needs some work. Basically at the moment, you can't start any line with a / unless its a legit command....

The main problem is when starting lines with /'s that are not commands. Why couldn't it just send them as text if not recognised as an MSGPlus command, rather than popping up the error window.

So basically if you type /info it will bring up contact info, but if you type in say : /etc/passwd, it should recognise this as not being a command, and thus send it as text...

It would remove an extra step we are having to take at the moment, become more user friendly.

Cheers,

Paul.

RE: / Commands in chat window by haydos on 05-08-2005 at 09:25 AM

You could just use a double // or a space then the /
I think that something not recognised not being sent is better in case, for example, i spell a word wrong it would look a little weird for the other person.
It really isnt a large amount of extra work.

RE: / Commands in chat window by H4Inf on 05-08-2005 at 09:26 AM

I understand you can use a double slash, but it is extremely annoying having to add one in all the time...

Maybe you don't use linux or have friends that use linux, but I'm sure a lot of people who use msgplus use linux and talk about it, and linux commands start with a / most of the time.

Perhaps you could make an option available to the user, do they want to be warned (default) if they mess up a command, or send it as plain text anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Paul.

RE: / Commands in chat window by haydos on 05-08-2005 at 09:35 AM

In the contact list...
Plus!>
Preferences>
Message helpers>
Enable fast-send shortcuts (untick it)

I guess it could be a problem if your talking about linux but a space before the / isnt so bad in my opinion :undecided:

RE: / Commands in chat window by ddunk on 05-08-2005 at 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by H4Inf
more user friendly.

It's meant to be user friendly now. Many of the commands are the same as mIRC (the / is used there and as is Ctrl+k for colors)
RE: / Commands in chat window by segosa on 05-08-2005 at 09:41 AM

http://msgplus.net/help_registry.php

HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\your@email.com\Preferences
CommandErrorMessage
dword
Boolean value. If false (0), no message box is displayed when a bad command is entered and the command is sent as text.

RE: RE: / Commands in chat window by H4Inf on 05-08-2005 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
http://msgplus.net/help_registry.php

HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\your@email.com\Preferences
CommandErrorMessage
dword
Boolean value. If false (0), no message box is displayed when a bad command is entered and the command is sent as text.

Thats it :-) It would be nice if there was an option in the actual options, but this is good enough. If I save my options from MsgPlus and restore them later, will this setting come back?

Cheers
RE: / Commands in chat window by segosa on 05-10-2005 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by H4Inf
Thats it :-) It would be nice if there was an option in the actual options, but this is good enough. If I save my options from MsgPlus and restore them later, will this setting come back?

Cheers

I don't know, you'll have to try.