Shoutbox

Viruses - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Viruses (/showthread.php?tid=44443)

Viruses by Veggie on 05-09-2005 at 06:56 PM

I just spent 2 hours de-virusing and de-spywareing a relatives pc. it scares me that there so many unprotected computers there. Some people dont have firewalls and antivirus software, and they dont even know they need one.

I really wonder how many computers out there are unprotected, and dont know how too.

RE: Viruses by albert on 05-09-2005 at 06:58 PM

im not sure this should go in Tech Talk.. maybe chit-chat, im not sure..

but ye ur right, a lot of ppl dont actully care, some even have oso many spyware without knowing, its crazy, but wte, i guess everyone does what he wants of his pc..

RE: Viruses by absorbation on 05-09-2005 at 07:47 PM

Yep 6 months ago i had a 98 computer and did'nt know what a virus was :O

But i changed and now i help people, i have learned so much about computers in such little time :P

RE: Viruses by mwe99 on 05-09-2005 at 07:57 PM

Yeah every PC should have some virus scanner... I'm scanning now and i've already found one trojan. grr

RE: Viruses by Anubis on 05-09-2005 at 08:15 PM

Newer PC's you can buy have antivirus protection and a firewall built in, however a lot still don't, and many of those that do are only trials.
Most don't know they need one because they've never come across the need, or don't want to spend money on them even if they do. It's just lack of information.
However as for firewalls, Windows firewall is of a decent quality despite what people say. The main flaw is that it doesn't let you get a lot of detailed information on how things are going on it's defence, but at least users of XP SP2 can know that they have free protection against many online threats.
Microsoft are also developing anti-spyware programs now, which in time will be on all PCs in the next few years.
In more time they will most likely make a free antivirus program which users of Windows will be able to use for free. And so on. In the end Virus protection, spyware and firewalls will all be automatically on and automatically configurable on all PCs for all users by about the end of the decade, if all goes how I predict.
So it's luckily a problem that should be avoided with all luck. Unless we run out of electricity, in which case it doesn't matter at all :p

RE: Viruses by TheGeek on 05-09-2005 at 08:22 PM

Firefox (or opera for that matter) should come standard with windows in stead of IE, That would filter out a lot of the spyware and virusses...

RE: Viruses by lizard.boy on 05-09-2005 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheGeek
Firefox (or opera for that matter) should come standard with windows in stead of IE, That would filter out a lot of the spyware and virusses...
thats basically saying you think microsoft should bundle windows with COMPETATOR's software.. like they would do that
RE: Viruses by ShawnZ on 05-09-2005 at 08:48 PM

Linux does it 8-) they should just go to windows grounds only, then get deals with companies or open source products to distribute them with windows, and they could brand them... etc

They could use Firefox and VNC and etc with windows skins and modified to show Microsoft's name, it would save them money and employees aswell

RE: Viruses by M73A on 05-09-2005 at 08:49 PM

quote:
but then wouldn't firefox start to be used more, so hackers would move from IE to Firefox....... *-) cant really win
RE: Viruses by buzz on 05-09-2005 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
thats basically saying you think microsoft should bundle windows with COMPETATOR's software.. like they would do th
there is some talk of the new microsoft os supporting some linux applications
RE: Viruses by buzz on 05-09-2005 at 09:00 PM

quote:
The new ie (ie 7) is supposed to be better, the ie blocker that came with sp2 (i think) was rly good...firefox and opera do have there faults. Mircosoft takes longer to release new versions because alot of people will use them... opera 8, ie only at 6

RE: Viruses by segosa on 05-09-2005 at 09:54 PM

It'll never stop. As long as there are people out there who don't want to understand computers, they will never be protected.

We've just gotta bear it.

RE: RE: Viruses by Veggie on 05-09-2005 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buzz
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
thats basically saying you think microsoft should bundle windows with COMPETATOR's software.. like they would do th
there is some talk of the new microsoft os supporting some linux applications

Thats not the same thing, you would be right if microsoft are planning to bundle linux software.
RE: Viruses by Zephyr on 05-09-2005 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
It'll never stop. As long as there are people out there who don't want to understand computers, they will never be protected.

We've just gotta bear it.

Talking about people who don't understand computers, i went to my friends house and he's got quite a fast computer, but when using it, it took ages to load up anything. He didn't have an antivirus or antispyware program installed! I downloaded AVG and ran it. It took about an hour to run and found over 200 viruses! I deleted them (had to do some manually), then i deleted all the spyware.

After, his computer ran so much faster and you could actually open 2 programs without it crashing. He downloads so much music and stuff which is probably what gave him the viruses, but i was like surely you've heard of an anti-virus program?
RE: Viruses by ddunk on 05-09-2005 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buzz
quote:
The new ie (ie 7) is supposed to be better, the ie blocker that came with sp2 (i think) was rly good...firefox and opera do have there faults. Mircosoft takes longer to release new versions because alot of people will use them... opera 8, ie only at 6

Version numbers don't mean anything when comparing to another program. You just can't compare 2 different program's version numbers. IE could have from
1 -> 1.5 -> 2 -> 2.5 and so on.
While Opera went
1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 and so on.

quote:

In doing so, more exploits would just be found for Firefox/Opera and spyware/other 3rd party addons would just move to them.

Also, people feel more comfortable using the same manufacturer, either that, or they just don't know that alternatives to IE exist.

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
They could use Firefox and VNC and etc with windows skins and modified to show Microsoft's name, it would save them money and employees aswell

And then be sued for stealing?
RE: Viruses by Chris4 on 05-09-2005 at 11:16 PM

Security Center helps alot because if you do not have a firewall up and running, or anti-virus protection, it alarms you and tells you how to get one.

RE: Viruses by TylerG on 05-09-2005 at 11:23 PM

Yeah on my family computer downstairs, no one really cares about it, and they don't understand computers anyways:p But I ran a virus scan with Xsoft Spy I think and I found like 200 viruses with 1,000 something infected files:S

RE: Viruses by Nathan on 05-10-2005 at 04:37 PM

the best software is avg its superb

some trials that scan ur opc make made up files to make u buy it
RE: Viruses by Dempsey on 05-10-2005 at 04:46 PM

Does anyone know the name of the virus that sends message like

free-pictures.com/?email=your@email.com

A few of my contacts have got it and it's annoying me so I'm trying to find the remover

RE: Viruses by Nathan on 05-10-2005 at 04:50 PM

i do
my mates got it he says its kalled zone labs

RE: Viruses by saralk on 05-10-2005 at 05:15 PM

zone labs is a firewall, i think its another bropia variant

RE: Viruses by mwe99 on 05-10-2005 at 05:24 PM

I got the same message as you Dempsey

free-pictures.com/?email=your@email.com

I think i recommended them to the latest bropia removal tool and it seemed to stop.

RE: RE: Viruses by TheGeek on 05-10-2005 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

quote:

In doing so, more exploits would just be found for Firefox/Opera and spyware/other 3rd party addons would just move to them.

Also, people feel more comfortable using the same manufacturer, either that, or they just don't know that alternatives to IE exist.

that might be true, but activeX and VBscript make it very easy to exploit IE. It would be nice if Microsoft pointed out to beginners that there are alternatives to their software and that they should make their own decision on what they like the most...
Not like that's gonna happen...