Shoutbox

Plugin Requested - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Plugin Requested (/showthread.php?tid=44553)

Plugin Requested by sabotage79 on 05-11-2005 at 07:36 PM

I think it would be nice to have a plugin where you can be notified by sound or popup, when a user on your contact list begins to type you a message.

I know that when you are in a chat, it shows in text that the users is typing, but I would like to get a heads up when someone is beginning to type to me.

Very handy for business related chatting.

It would be sneaky too, to find out who changes there mind and never sends you that message. :D

RE: Plugin Requested by segosa on 05-11-2005 at 07:40 PM

As I said on IRC: it's impossible. The TypingUser packet is not sent unless a switchboard connection is already open, and that means the conversation is already open, which would defeat the purpose of such a plugin.

RE: Plugin Requested by sabotage79 on 05-11-2005 at 07:42 PM

Actually, I have several chat windows open at once while I am doing business. It would be nice if I heard a sound so that I could stop what im doing, and direct my attention to the person who is chatting.

Seems like a great plugin for my needs - anyone else?

RE: Plugin Requested by mwe99 on 05-11-2005 at 08:17 PM

There is the MSN default sound notification when an alert appears, however this sounds like an open convo notifier and these don't work unfourtunatly.

RE: Plugin Requested by albert on 05-11-2005 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
There is the MSN default sound notification when an alert appears, however this sounds like an open convo notifier and these don't work unfourtunatly.
i personally dont know much about programming or anything.. but this sounds rlly doable to me.. isnt there a way to produce a sound when the " USER Is Typing A Message" shows up??
RE: Plugin Requested by RaceProUK on 05-11-2005 at 11:52 PM

This suggestion is actually a definate possibility, unlike open-convo-notifiers, as the 'User is typing' packet is a discrete entity sent in a very specific scenario i.e. when someone types.

If you wanted, you could configure the following:
- Sound the alert when someone starts typing and a conversation window isn't open (reason I'd have it)
- Sound the alert when someone starts typing and a conversation window is open
- Both :)

Of course, it'd involve packet sniffing (something I have no experience with).

@Seg: Why do you say it's impossible?

RE: Plugin Requested by Concord Dawn on 05-12-2005 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
The TypingUser packet is not sent unless a switchboard connection is already open, and that means the conversation is already open, which would defeat the purpose of such a plugin.

That's why.
RE: Plugin Requested by ShawnZ on 05-12-2005 at 04:48 AM

quote:
The TypingUser packet is not sent unless a switchboard connection is already open, and that means the conversation is already open, which would defeat the purpose of such a plugin.

Well, since no one uses open convo notifiers anymore, the plugin could send the open headers to every contact online, and every contact that comes online, but that might cause problems
RE: Plugin Requested by RaceProUK on 05-12-2005 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
quote:
That's why.
It does depend on whether you see this idea as a replacement for open-convo-notifiers. I see it more as a 'User is actually starting to talk to you' notifier.