Shoutbox

Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes (/showthread.php?tid=44555)

Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by matty on 05-11-2005 at 07:45 PM

I was pretty bored a few days at work and was testing this out and surprisingly it actually works.

Say your HDD crashes and you loose all your music that you have spent countless hours ripping from CDs here is a way to bring it back (This will only bring back music that is on your iPod not your entire library.).

I, nor these forums, can be held responsible for loss of data from your iPod or anything caused directly or indirectly to you by doing this (ie being sued by the RIAA).

1) Install the software for your iPod on your computer.
2) Connect your iPod
3) iTunes will say that your iPod is linked to another music library. Click NO on this box.
4) Right click your iPod in the source list
5) Click iPod options
6) Check Manually Manage all songs and playlists
7) Click OK on the next two boxes.
8) Click File > Add Folder to Library
9) Select the iPod from the drives listed under My Computer
10) Once the songs are imported back to your library click on Advanced > Consolidate Library then click OK.

There you go all your music back to your PC from your iPod.

The second way is this:

1) Put your iPod into Disk Mode
1.1) Menu and Select (Reset) then at the Apple Logo Menu and Play Pause (Disk Mode)
2) Connect iPod to your computer
Close iTunes if it opens
3) Open My Computer
4) Double Click your iPod (Should be listed as a drive)
5) Double click iPod_Control (If it is not there click Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Check Show Hidden Files and Folders > Click Ok)
6) Double Click Music
7) F00 - F49 will have all your songs in them. Just copy this folders back to your computer.

To get the iPod out of disk mode do the following:
Menu and Select.

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by Zephyr on 05-11-2005 at 07:51 PM

Thanks Matty for this. Could come in very handy. I'd hate to lose all of my music.

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by Dane on 05-11-2005 at 08:37 PM

Thank you so much for this tip Matty, my PC recently reset and i've been afraid of my iPod because I dont want to plug it in and lose all my data.  I will be using this trick from now on, you own :).

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by user35870 on 05-11-2005 at 08:43 PM

thanks matty, i reformatted there a couple of days ago and i will use that thanks.

you sure know alot about ipods

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 08:46 PM

does anyone know of any iPod 'hacks' or anything to change stuff on iPods?   I'm bored of mine and wanna do something on it lol

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by saralk on 05-11-2005 at 08:51 PM

you can install linux on your ipod http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

[Image: tux.jpg]

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by King For A Day on 05-11-2005 at 08:53 PM

wow i thought this was impossible, i have 3500+ songs and i am getting a new pc soon i was dreading having to move it all

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
does anyone know of any iPod 'hacks' or anything to change stuff on iPods?   I'm bored of mine and wanna do something on it lol

i saw a site that showed how to change all the gui on a photo iposd but i cant find it again sorry
RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by GiantSpider on 05-11-2005 at 09:00 PM

* GiantSpider thinks Matty has alot of spare time............

Cheers mate.

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
you can install linux on your ipod http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
Cool :D  but they don't support 4Gen iPods yet, so I'll have to wait a while
RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by lizard.boy on 05-11-2005 at 09:07 PM

or just use ipod agent or one of the numerous other ipod > pc tools :P

RE: Take songs from iPod back to your PC through iTunes by King For A Day on 05-11-2005 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

[Image: tux.jpg]

wow i have to thank you, i didnt know this was possible and it rocks.

so far caused no damage, but due to having windows i cant havew the very latest version untill comebody makes thi installer