Shoutbox

[Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] (/showthread.php?tid=44559)

[Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-11-2005 at 08:26 PM

Messenger Live! is the worlds on up to date fully portable version of MSN Messenger and can be used anywhere, anytime. Created by a MSN Messenger user for MSN Messenger users.

Messenger Live! 1.10 Released for MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 - Download

Messenger Live! 1.00 Released for MSN Messenger 7.0.0777 - Download

Regular updates to come. As many of you are familiar with this extractor which dissapeared for a while there is no need to explain.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 08:28 PM

(Y)  but can I make a request?  Can you make a version for MSN 6.2 ?
I don't use MSN7 but would still like to use Messenger Live

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-11-2005 at 08:33 PM

Yep, I will be making it tommorow as I have some free time then, just need to find a Messenger 6.2 Installer - searches -.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-11-2005 at 08:34 PM

Well... I gotta admit!!! This is so AWESOME!!! Thanks Profi or should I say _cindern??? :P..
Gonna test it on my school tomorrow, but right now I've tested it on my Home PC and it works EXCELENT! :D

I hope a hell of a lot more devolping gets put into this!.. Maybe integrated MSG Plus!, StuffPlug, other Plugins, etc!... Would be nice if Patchou, TB and the other plugin makers would like to co-operate with _cindern to make there Add-on/plugin work with Messenger Live!, that means make a verison of their creation that would be able to be put into this Extrator... :D...
Also a way/program/edition that allows us to "build" our own Extractions where our things like Settings, Dp's, Emo's and stuff would be packed into it and then extracted when using the package, and hopefully the extrated msn would be just the same as the one you se on your normal PC! :D... That would be like the top of Awesomeness!
I really see this is a HUGE thing if more work/stuff will be put into this thing....

Can't wait to test it on school and to see more of this! :D..
Keep up the good work _cindern!!!!

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 08:36 PM

Yea thats some cool ideas (CyBeRDuDe) about making your own extarctors and stuff.

But i don't think Patchou will allow Plus! to come pre-packaged like that, dunno, would be cool tho.

And yea having BGs and Emos and stuff would rule (Y)

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-11-2005 at 08:52 PM

All ideas are in my mind, thanks Dempsey and (CyBeRDuDe)!

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by user27089 on 05-11-2005 at 09:15 PM

It seems like a great program, I will test it out at school tomorrow, I'm going to put loads of stuff onto a dvd-rom and take it into school ^.^...

It would be great if more extensions were bundled into it though :|.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 09:17 PM

_cindern have you tried emailing Patchou yet to see what he says about including it?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-11-2005 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
stuff onto a dvd-rom

DVD-Roms in school:|:|:|:|:|:|

my ict room dont have cd-roms?!?! and 1 in 10 floppy drives actaully work... :@    gettin room change now:D

going to test tomorrow:P should b fun, lol
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 09:40 PM

yea were lucky to find a PC with a CD-ROM, let alone a DVD-ROM.  I think each room has a CD-RW but they normally take the CD-ROMS out of new PCs cos they dont trust us :P

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by TylerG on 05-11-2005 at 09:56 PM

Umm what exactly is Messenger Live!???

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-11-2005 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG

portable msn messenger. its a .exe extractor that allows the user to 'install' (not actually install but it lets you run it..) msn on any computer, even with restrictions..
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by TylerG on 05-11-2005 at 10:01 PM

Gotcha.  Thanks, might try it out at school:D

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 10:05 PM

I see you've started to update the Messenger Live Website (Y)

it's looking good.  I think you wanna make some sort of way for people to leave suggestions etc, to give you ideas what to try and include.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-11-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey

it's looking good.  I think you wanna make some sort of way for people to leave suggestions etc, to give you ideas what to try and include.

i cant access it:S get 'could nto be found'
RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Leif on 05-11-2005 at 10:08 PM

quote:

You were too quick there, Dempsey! ;)
The URL is http://www.msglive.net
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
You were too quick there, Dempsey! ;)
The URL is http://www.msglive.net
oh yea I missed a w :P
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Ezra on 05-11-2005 at 10:39 PM

I don't get it... Am I missing something or did you just rar the contents of your MSN folder and made it sfx?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't get it... Am I missing something or did you just rar the contents of your MSN folder and made it sfx?
basically yea, but the idea is for people at school and things that can't run the actual Messenger insatller.

And hopefully more features are going to be added soon, this is still an early release
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Ezra on 05-11-2005 at 10:51 PM

to install plus on this messenger you need this register key

HKCR\CLSID\{0D81DFEC-5610-4a2b-9B57-FC33D21366F0}\LocalServer32

And the value is the directory where you installed msn. Because plus can install without admin priviliges ;)

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-11-2005 at 11:01 PM

quote:

And the value is the directory where you installed msn. Because plus can install without admin priviliges ;)
Ah cool (Y)

But that won't help everyone, because some people just can't run insatllers, not becuase of just no admin permissions, but not having access to insatll files to c:\program files etc
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 02:25 PM

Yes, I did just package the files using WinRAR, however this is because I needed something portable quite fast so I made a crappy little extractor.

However I Messenger Live! will have a customer extractor within the next few releases (most likely version 1.50). Also I am at the moment coding a few little extras for Messenger Live! which I will be revealing later this week (maybe even today).

Thanks for reading,

_cindern

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Sunshine on 05-12-2005 at 02:57 PM

To me Messenger Live looks the same as/similar to Risico Messenger.

See "CookieRevised reply to...Portable Plus".

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
To me Messenger Live looks the same as/similar to Risico Messenger.

See "CookieRevised reply to...Portable Plus".
indeed... and since there is a new thread about this "Live Messenger", I'll repeat what I've said before on mess.be.... I don't care if this is cross posting, this is something everybody should read and understand about such programs/packages before even thinking about using it (or creating another one):

This sounds exactly like that crappy "Risico Messenger". Thus may I point out the things I've said there concearning such "new" MSN Messengers: http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=6304

In short: there is nothing special about it at all. You can easly get the same "result" if you just copy all your files in your standard MSN Messenger directory to another directory (or to you memory stick for all I care).

The reason why this will NOT work in many circustances is because the MSN Messenger package needs far more things to be installed and above all registered to work properly 100%; Also, everything will still be stored (and LEFT after you've finished!!!!!!!!) in the registry, making it a pseudo-security risk for some people. It will also still use the default directories, again making it a possible risk for some people.

I can't say this enough, but people, do not be fooled!!. There is absolutely NOTHING special about such "new" MSN Messengers, they are simply the basic MSN Messenger files copied to another directory.

And this means: all your things will be saved in the default locations. In other words, such MSN Messengers repackages will not magically solve your access problems in schools at all!!!

In fact, they can/will cause your more trouble... even if you don't know about it <= and that is the main reason why I hate such stuff. Most people who use such Messengers don't even know there settings are stored in the registry, they don't even know there is an application directory, they don't even know their logs are saved, etc... etc... Simply copying all the files, which is all this "new" installer does, will only result in errors and what not on MANY systems.

In other words, if you realy want to use such a method, simply prepare your own msn messenger with whatever patch, skin, etc you like and copy all the files to a memory stick or something and you will have your own "Risico Messenger" or "Live Messenger"; it will be EXACTLY the same...

Now some legal notes (who cares about them, but at least get your facts correct):
quote:
Originally posted by Profi
Although I do have 1 version that has been patched (Splinter Edition), that is the ony thing that breaks the MSN Messenger ToS in these packages, I don't like breaking the ToS.
Excuse me? Redistributing MSN Messenger or tampering with the files, both in any form, DOES break the ToS and your "Messenger Live" is as illegal as shooting a random person on the street.

quote:
Originally posted by Profi
Messenger Live!™
And where does the Trademark come from? Did you register the name "Messenger Live"? You can only (legally) use trademark signs if the name is really being trademarked...

-----

Now for my personal opinion: stop making those crap repackaged installers, they do nothing more then damage to the unknowledgable user (and its them who are going to use such things mostly). If you do want to make something for school or the likes, then explain how people should simply copy their files. And, AND!, explain that MSN Messenger will still use all the default locations to store and get its information (app. directories, log directories, registry locations, etc...) with all its disadvantages it brings...

-----

Now with this basic knowledge let's react on some posts:
quote:
(Y)  but can I make a request?  Can you make a version for MSN 6.2 ? I don't use MSN7 but would still like to use Messenger Live
If you use it on your current installation of MSN Messenger it will mess things up!!!

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
I hope a hell of a lot more devolping gets put into this!.. Maybe integrated MSG Plus!, StuffPlug, other Plugins, etc!... Would be nice if Patchou, TB and the other plugin makers would like to co-operate with _cindern to make there Add-on/plugin work with Messenger Live!, that means make a verison of their creation that would be able to be put into this Extrator... ...
I absolutely shiffer with the thought that Messenger Plus! will be included in something like this.

Please, learn a bit more about how MSN Messenger (or any other program for that matter) works and don't believe such promises from someone who claims to have made a "portable" Messenger. I'm sorry to sound realy harsh, but such things are absolutely CRAP and should only be used/created by people who actually KNOW what they are doing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that such simple file copies of msn messenger will NOT work 100%. Why on earth do you think MSN MEssenger has an installer in the first place? Did anyone even cared to look what files are being installed when installing MSN Messenger? What things are being updated? What things are being saved/created in the registry? etc... etc...

quote:
Also a way/program/edition that allows us to "build" our own Extractions where our things like Settings, Dp's, Emo's and stuff would be packed into it and then extracted when using the package
Simply copy all your files, patches, whatever, you need and put them in an archive.

Because this is EXACTLY what this "portable" thing is and NOTHING more. In other words, if you want to create your own "Messenger Live" but with A-patch or something, simply patch your existing MSN Messenger and copy all the files in the directory and voila... this is just the same...

quote:
Can't wait to test it on school and to see more of this!..
Keep up the good work _cindern!!!!
no, please don't keep it up for the sake of those who otherwise going to use such things!!!

And I speak in the name of all the helpers who are the ones that can solve all the issues people will have with such crap things...

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
portable msn messenger. its a .exe extractor that allows the user to 'install' (not actually install but it lets you run it..) msn on any computer, even with restrictions..
No it is NOT!!!!!!!!!
There is absolutely NO difference between normal MSN Messenger and this "Messenger Live"!!! You have a far better chance in being able to chat with WebMessenger then with this UNMODIFIED msn messenger in restricted networks....

quote:
quote:
basically yea, but the idea is for people at school and things that can't run the actual Messenger installer.

And hopefully more features are going to be added soon, this is still an early release
Hopefully, someone with the proper knowledge (TB and the likes) will come along and create a decent portable messenger or TOOL*.

*For example; create a simple tool which copies all your MSN Messenger files and make it into an SFX. In this way people can "make" their own MSN Messenger and at least KNOW a bit better about what it will do and what the consequences would be of not-a-proper-install...

quote:

It isn't that simple... you have more things to check out to get the REAL installation path; the registry isn't that simple and can hold redirections and CLSID's do change!!!! But I'm not going into that atm....
RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 03:20 PM

Cookie, I don't want to argue with you but lots of things have changed since my first original release, and alot of things are going to change, yes Messenger Live is not completly portable, but nothing will ever be completly portable, just like Mobile Phones and Laptops can't be portable.

Also just to set you straight the TM has been removed and so has the dreaded Splinter Edition (one because I don't like patching and two because it was actually bigger than the non patched version).

So I am sorry that you think that way CookieRevised and  I would like to say that I don't disagree with you, enfact I respect you alot, and would like your support, but as I believe I won't be getting that, I am sorry.

Also as I said earlier, a new extractor is being built... tonight.

edit - CookieRevised I made the original version for myself and my school friends because Windows Messenger was blocked at school and Web Messengers where also blocked, the same as many other schools, so it is not always possible to get on Messenger sites.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Sunshine on 05-12-2005 at 03:26 PM

Well, can you atleast make it clean up registrysettings and delete any folders created after use of your messenger? Looks like those schools forgot to deny access to write in the registry if your socalled "portable" messenger works.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by _cindern
lots of things have changed since my first original release
All I said applies to what is on your website: MsgLive-110.exe
quote:
Also just to set you straight the TM has been removed and so has the dreaded Splinter Edition (one because I don't like patching and two because it was actually bigger than the non patched version).
good (y)
quote:
and would like your support, but as I believe I won't be getting that, I am sorry.
not with something like that... As I stated in my (long) post before, if you realy want to make something like that make a TOOL instead, which copies the user's msn messenger directory (and all its settings, eg: application directory, etc...) and also provide a decent warning and explanations about the riscs involved in using such "portable" things....

A tool would be much better (not to mention you don't need to update your thing everytime a new messenger build gets released) and will also provide the user with his OWN patches, skins, settings and stuff...

Because frankly, everything what those "portable" messengers do atm is:
copy "c:\program files\msn messenger\*.*" "memorystick:\mymsn\*.*"
and nothing more...

---

quote:
edit - CookieRevised I made the original version for myself and my school friends because Windows Messenger was blocked at school and Web Messengers where also blocked, the same as many other schools, so it is not always possible to get on Messenger sites.
There are many alternative webmessengers...

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 03:32 PM

Modified.

Cookie, I will actually be making a tool to make their own portable versions of MSN Messenger (it will be built into the MSN Messenger). Also not all Webmessengers work at my school.

Sunshine (nice name by the way), the only folder created is the folder you choose to make and after the extraction in the new extractor being built the extractor will be deleted once you press finish.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-12-2005 at 03:34 PM

bah, i cant even run the 'extractor' in my school.....it ends in .exe = blocked.... :@

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Sunshine on 05-12-2005 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Sunshine - I would have thought so, but I was corrected when I tried it.
Corrected? What do you mean? You mean you can't make it successfully delete only the things your messenger added? It might be a problem if MSNM is installed on that computer already...you should build in a check on that, if that's possible at all.
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 03:36 PM

Sunshine, check my edited post.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Cookie, I will actually be making a tool to make their own portable versions of MSN Messenger (it will be built into the MSN Messenger).
No, don't build it in, make a seperate tool. There is nothing to build in... The tool should exist out of code which simply copies everything needed, bundles it and add an extraction stub... (and of course there should be a decent uninstaller)

quote:
Sunshine (nice name by the way), the only folder created is the folder you choose to make and after the extraction in the new extractor being built the extractor will be deleted once you press finish.
Sunshine means all the other stuff that is created by MSN Messenger itself, not what is created by your installer...

eg:
* C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\*.*
* C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\My documents\logs (or whatever the default dir is)
* Cached stuff in the temporary directory of windows (ads, banners, etc...)
* Cached stuff in the temporary internet directory of windows (DP's, Emo's, Winks, etc..)
* All the registry settings (and that isn't just HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger)
* And indeed, what if MSN Messenger is already installed? You will be overwriting those things if you don't check upon it...
* etc...
* etc...

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Sunshine on 05-12-2005 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Sunshine means all the other stuff that is created by MSN Messenger itself, not what is created by your installer...

Yes, that's what i mean :D
A check on that is needed to see wether or not it was there before using Messenger Live.

quote:
Sunshine, check my edited post.
So the folder gets deleted are you sure that's the only folder created, and how about registrysettings (see my edited post)?
RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 03:44 PM

Thanks Cookie and Sunshine, I understand now, I will research into it, as I said before the current versions are just crappy little extractors, the first of which was originally just for myself and a few friends.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Thanks Cookie and Sunshine, I understand now, I will research into it
(Y) So now you hopefully also understand why I (and others) are so against such "portable" messengers; It wouldn't be the first time that someone reports problems when installing MSN Messenger and forget to mention that he once tried out a "portable" messenger on his own computer and it messed everything up/has overwritten important stuff, just by running it...

You need to understand that such "portable" messengers are mostly going to be used by people who don't have a clue about what they actually are doing, let alone understand that some programs need and use more then just an executable to run...
RE: RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Thanks Cookie and Sunshine, I understand now, I will research into it
(Y) So now you hopefully also understand why I (and others) are so against such "portable" messengers; It wouldn't be the first time that someone reports problems when installing MSN Messenger and forget to mention that he once tried out a "portable" messenger on his own computer and it messed everything up/has overwritten important stuff, just by running it...

You need to understand that such "portable" messengers are mostly going to be used by people who don't have a clue about what they actually are doing, let alone understand that some programs need and use more then just an executable to run...

I know this might be a big thing to ask, but would you help me to create a information file? Which will be displayed as you open the extractor?
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 05:10 PM

---
Beware!

This redistribution will simply copy the standard MSN Messenger files to a custom directory instead of installing them like they should. Using this can cause information to be overwritten on the hard disk and/or in the registry. It also will leave information and traces behind on the hard disk and in the registry after removing.

This redistribution is not meant to solve any connection problems and is not garanteed to work. All the normal and standard problems you otherwise would have can and will still occur.

To function properly, MSN Messenger still needs access to the registry and to your local application directory. MSN Messenger and its ports shouldn't be blocked by any application or firewall.

The creator is not responsible for any damage, loss of data or other consequences caused by this illegal redistribution of MSN Messenger. Use it sensible and at your own risk!
---

needs spell checking and gramar checking though

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by absorbation on 05-12-2005 at 05:14 PM

As profi beta tester for this he wants to be able to include messenger plus. However he needs permission and without the sponser it could become a hasle.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
As profi beta tester for this he wants to be able to include messenger plus. However he needs permission and without the sponser it could become a hasle.
Like people already said, Plus! will not be distributed together with any sofwtare, let alone with something like this...

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 05:19 PM

When did this become an illegal redistribution? It is not patched or anything?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by absorbation on 05-12-2005 at 05:22 PM

I'm trying to promote messenger live and i suggest people should try to add this to mess.be (sumbit(at)mess.be). And other places as i've used this at school etc and it works fine :P

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-12-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
I'm trying to promote messenger live and i suggest people should try to add this to mess.be (sumbit(at)mess.be). And other places as i've used this at school etc and it works fine :P

i cant use it at school it doesnt allow me to run the extractor because it ends in .exe
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by absorbation on 05-12-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:

i cant use it at school it doesnt allow me to run the extractor because it ends in .exe

Is it possible to make a zip file?
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-12-2005 at 05:27 PM

quote:
quote:

i doubt id be able to use it if i did extract it because of the msnmsgr.exe  don't really help me now:( (got new ict room, has diferent restrictions)
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 05:28 PM

- thinks about a mirror for Web Messenger -

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-12-2005 at 05:31 PM

webmessenger.msn.com doesnt use a .exe does it? is there a way to use something like that?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 05:34 PM

Nope no .exe I reccomend you use msn2go.com as most schools block webmessenger.msn.com and e-messenger.net

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Concord Dawn on 05-12-2005 at 05:38 PM

Err.....what about simply adding all of the Messenger files/registry keys/etc. and adding it to one .exe, then when it runs the messenger executable, it tricks it into believing everything is in the proper place, even though everything is actually inside one file? Or is that the definition of a portable version? :P

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 05:42 PM

Messenger Live is under heavy development at the moment, the current versions are basic because I wanted to get something out as soon as possible.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Concord Dawn on 05-12-2005 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Messenger Live is under heavy development at the moment, the current versions are basic because I wanted to get something out as soon as possible.

To be honest, it's better to have a delayed release of a really good version than to have an on time release of a crap version. Just give these version the BETA label, as they aren't really very well put together, in all honesty.
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 05:58 PM

I know they are a not too flashy, but further versions will have the BETA status, just not theses ones.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-12-2005 at 06:05 PM

id like to see something that wouldn't use a .exe its possible because webmessenger has it so is there a way to use that to create a simple msn based file of some sort?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 06:18 PM

Like embedding the exe file into a webpage?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by M73A on 05-12-2005 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Like embedding the exe file into a webpage?

maybe if it would be aloud on a restricted computer.... (yn)!
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 06:29 PM

I will research into it.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 06:33 PM

quote:
When did this become an illegal redistribution? It is not patched or anything?
redistributing it like that (and forcing it to not-install) is equally illegal.

quote:
quote:
that wouldn't solve anything at all

quote:
webmessenger.msn.com doesnt use a .exe does it? is there a way to use something like that?
If the sites aren't being blocked then that is the only proper way of using a "portable" messenger...

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Err.....what about simply adding all of the Messenger files/registry keys/etc. and adding it to one .exe, then when it runs the messenger executable, it tricks it into believing everything is in the proper place, even though everything is actually inside one file? Or is that the definition of a portable version? :P
That would be somewhat the definition of a true portable version.

But in order to do that you need to know very advanced programming and MSN Messenger needs to be patched heavly. (and this is also what TB was talking about, partially, in the thread on mess.be about "Messenger Live"). This is by no means easy to do, only someone with the proper knowledge can pull this off as it is far beyond copying some files like the current "portable" versions do...

quote:
id like to see something that wouldn't use a .exe its possible because webmessenger has it so is there a way to use that to create a simple msn based file of some sort?
everything needs to be executed, integrated or not. And if you're talking about a standalone msn messenger, you're talking about EXE's (and coms, and ...etc...). Otherwise, simply use a webmessenger (not all are being blocked; and if so there are ways around that also)

Besides, using a different way of messaging defeats the whole purpose of having a standalone basic msn messenger which people can patch/skin/etc...
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by absorbation on 05-12-2005 at 06:37 PM

I like the live messenger it works and can be accessed on alot of computers, updates will continue to happen so be on the look out for better versions :P

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 06:56 PM

CookieRevised - How would I be able to make Messenger Live completly portable and legal?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dane on 05-12-2005 at 08:42 PM

I thought this project was being led by Profi, who is the _cindern?

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-12-2005 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I thought this project was being led by Profi, who is the _cindern?
Same person, name change
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dane on 05-12-2005 at 08:47 PM

Tbh, _cnidern, Please PM WDZ requesting a name change on your old account if you want a name change, dont make new accounts, its quite annoying.  But Im glad you see your proceeding with this project, your servers have been slow so I havent yet gotten the latest version.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-12-2005 at 08:54 PM

Sorry - slaps head hard -

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by lizard.boy on 05-12-2005 at 09:35 PM

if you really want a messenger to be used on any school computer (unless the network is really, really secure with no javascript or anything) you should be spending some time building a web based messenger. the trick to this is you would have to allow users to download it and install it to their own servers. that way, every time a school net filter blockes one server for the messenger another could be setup/used.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Supersonicdarky on 05-12-2005 at 09:53 PM

quote:

i'm not sure, but won't .msi work? or are they also blocked?

what is the difference between .exe and .msi?
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-13-2005 at 07:58 AM

MSI = Microsoft Installer No installers.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 12:41 AM

quote:
CookieRevised - How would I be able to make Messenger Live completly portable and legal?
You can't make it legal... simple as that... hard-patching and/or redistributing is illegal.

To make it completely portable you need to have a massive amount of knowledge on hooking, subclassing, components which msn messenger uses (all the dll's that are in use), and probably need every trick in the book, etc, etc... All in all, you're almost better of making your own (illegal) client...
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by _cindern on 05-15-2005 at 06:20 AM

:( Well that sucks, thanks for telling me though Cookie.

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by CoMpLiCaTeD on 05-19-2005 at 05:08 PM

rite now what can i do here.... i have instlled it on my college computer. however i cannot run an exe file. what can i do about this..???

RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by Dempsey on 05-19-2005 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CoMpLiCaTeD
rite now what can i do here.... i have instlled it on my college computer. however i cannot run an exe file. what can i do about this..???
you can't.  If you can't run exes you can't run messenger.  You can try using a web messenger such as:

MSN2Go
WBMSN
Piglet IM
E-Messenger
I Love IM
RE: [Updated] Messenger Live! Released [11 May 2005] by XICO2KX on 10-24-2005 at 04:35 AM

Any new "Live Messenger" currently in the works? ;)
Some sort of "loader" for the original .exe files that prevented or re-directed (to a temporary folder) the creation of those registry keys or directories would be a nice thing to see! :)