Shoutbox

info on hard drive - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: info on hard drive (/showthread.php?tid=44577)

info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-12-2005 at 06:04 AM

i have to hard drives one which is 4 gb (lol) and the other which is 110. i dont need anymore than that.
well when i install somwethingit automatically stores it onto the low storage one when i want to store it on the big one is there anyway to make it go to the big one

RE: info on hard drive by -Bogan- on 05-12-2005 at 06:07 AM

You fellas that know more than me correct me if I'm wrong but I think
you  should make sure you have the small hard drive as your slave not as your master.

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-12-2005 at 06:10 AM

i do my big hard drive is master obviosly but its automatically storing stuff on the small one

RE: info on hard drive by -Bogan- on 05-12-2005 at 06:15 AM

well thats all I have to suggestsorry I couldn't help.
* -Bogan- goes to ask -DT-

RE: info on hard drive by Caboose on 05-12-2005 at 06:15 AM

If you have Windows installed on your small one, then everything will automatically install in that drive by default. There's a registry key you can edit that will change the default install path to another drive, but I can't find it :(. Also, why don't you just choose where to install it when you install the program? I do that all the time :P

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-12-2005 at 06:27 AM

i have windows xp twice on the big one
and i like going through the installtions quickly

RE: info on hard drive by CookieRevised on 05-12-2005 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
Also, why don't you just choose where to install it when you install the program?
Indeed, golden rule number one when installing: never choose the "automatic" install...

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
i like going through the installtions quickly
You can't have both. Either be less lazy and read what you install and configure what/where you install, or be happy with the consequences of automatic installations... Simple as that...

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-14-2005 at 06:14 AM

i dont do automatic installs its just when u click next u click it dead fast but ill slow down now

RE: info on hard drive by scott_259 on 05-14-2005 at 07:30 AM

Yes, You will just have to slow down, because i have two HDD's and you jsut have to change the installation path. Its sucks but thats how things are, because not everyone has Two or more HDD's

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-14-2005 at 08:11 AM

lol
oh ok tanx everyone for helping

RE: info on hard drive by Rubber Stamp on 05-15-2005 at 12:45 PM

remove the smaller HD and see wat happens

RE: info on hard drive by Chris4 on 05-15-2005 at 02:49 PM

If you use firefox you can select the download location. In your case, you would select the download location to be your bigger Hard drive.

RE: info on hard drive by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 02:58 PM

I have a patch that allowes you to fix this problem. Just tell me your small harddrive's letter and your big hd's letter aswell and I will send the patch.

Its a simple batch file I made that copies over the old program files DIR to the new drive, then changes a registry key as to where program files is located.

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-15-2005 at 03:01 PM

wot do u mean by hard drive numbers

RE: info on hard drive by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 03:04 PM

Hard drive letters, like C:\ and D:\

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-15-2005 at 03:08 PM

oh ok the small one is c and the big one is f

RE: info on hard drive by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 03:14 PM

Okay, lemme write the batch file and ill attach it in a minute

EDIT: I attached the file. It is configured to move your programfiles dir from C: to F:. I CANNOT guarentee it works because it is untested. Any damages it causes to programs you have installed is your responsibility 8-)

The forum doesn't allow .BAT files so I attached it as a .TXT. Just rename it to 'prmove.bat' from its current extension.

ATTACHMENT DELETED

RE: info on hard drive by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
I have a patch that allowes you to fix this problem.
First of all there is no problem or bug or whatever...

He needs to learn to simply select where he want to install his programs. That is basic Windows knowledge!!!

quote:
Just tell me your small harddrive's letter and your big hd's letter aswell and I will send the patch. Its a simple batch file I made that copies over the old program files DIR to the new drive, then changes a registry key as to where program files is located.
Which will beep up many programs FOR SURE!!!! Not all programs use that registry key to find the programs folder and/or to find out where they are installed....

Please do not provide him with something like this for his own good!

Like I said, he simple needs to learn how to work with a computer and more specific how to handle files and installations. (no offence, msg_plus_freak)
RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-15-2005 at 03:47 PM

can u guide me through it plz im confussed

no offence taken but im not the best person in the world on pcs but im better than some. its just when i install something im a bit blind i just click next next next ...
RE: info on hard drive by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 03:51 PM

Shawnz, furthermore and after seeing your batch file, you can beep up many things with that also... Who says there are no other special directories inside his c:\program files (like the common files one)??? This will not be solved by simply utilising those specific registry keys. Also, many paths like that are account specific, simply changing them in HKLM will not "solve" those paths at all... Another exmaple of how things will beep up: in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT there are hundreds of extensions which have the "program files" path in their subkeys. And that's only for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive, I'm even not going to start listing all the other occurences in the other hives...

All this batch probably will do is beep up many things

msg_plus_freak, please do not use that batch file from Shawnz, it will most likely beep up things more!

All you need to learn is not to press next next next so quickly and read what is being asked in setups and enter the proper path for yourself...

RE: info on hard drive by Nathan on 05-15-2005 at 03:52 PM

yer but when i first had xp it worked fine and automatically placed it on all i want to no is y it goes to the small one now after i reinstalled xp

RE: info on hard drive by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Shawnz, furthermore and after seeing your batch file, you can beep up many things with that also... Who says there are no other special directories inside his c:\program files (like the common files one)??? This will not be solved by simply utilising those specific registry keys. Also, many paths like that are account specific, simply changing them in HKLM will not "solve" those paths at all... Another exmaple of how things will beep up: in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT there are hundreds of extensions which have the "program files" path in their subkeys. And that's only for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive, I'm even not going to start listing all the other occurences in the other hives...

All this batch probably will do is beep up many things

msg_plus_freak, please do not use that batch file from Shawnz, it will most likely beep up things more!

All you need to learn is not to press next next next so quickly and read what is being asked in setups and enter the proper path for yourself...
Yeah, it does edit and move common files, and thats nearly the only path that can be changed thats in program files. Pretty much the only thing this will mess up would be shortcuts, but there not hard to fix, and windows even fixes them automatically.

It *may* screw up a program or two who chooses to install to C:\Program Files by default, but other then that it would be the exact same as changing the program files path while installing.

I removed it anyway, if you really want it, PM me for it.
RE: info on hard drive by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Yeah, it does edit and move common files
That was only an example...
quote:
and thats nearly the only path that can be changed thats in program files.
Maybe it is with you, but there is nothing to say that it isn't with msn_freak at all. In fact, you can create your own "special" folders also (and some programs do this also). And other (in fact, all) "special" folders can be in program files also...

quote:
Pretty much the only thing this will mess up would be shortcuts, but there not hard to fix, and windows even fixes them automatically.
the extension hive is again only an example of the MANY things which don't depend on that registry setting. Even so, those extensions will NOT all be fixed automatically at all!! Windows does a very crap job in that...

quote:
It *may* screw up a program or two who chooses to install to C:\Program Files by default, but other then that it would be the exact same as changing the program files path while installing.
Oh no, it is NOT by far the same at all! Believe me. It will screw up MANY things....
RE: info on hard drive by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 06:15 PM

Not to be rude but... could you please tell me the implications it has? Because I used this method and now im considering switching it back...

Wait, I think I understand... Are you referring (by Speical Folders) to something's install path?

RE: info on hard drive by CookieRevised on 05-16-2005 at 02:12 AM

quote:
Not to be rude but...
nope,  no offense taken ;)

quote:
could you please tell me the implications it has?
simply search your registry with the string "program files" and also your harddisk for the same string and you'll understand the massive implications...
RE: info on hard drive by ShawnZ on 05-16-2005 at 04:11 AM

Hmm... I'll pass it off as saying 'Works best if no programs are installed' then ;) ...not