Shoutbox

mysearchnow? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: mysearchnow? (/showthread.php?tid=44582)

mysearchnow? by Gillinghamfan on 05-12-2005 at 11:37 AM

my internet explorer browser has been taken over by a bug called 'mysearchnow'

i've run search and destroy to no avail, it won't even let me delete it from favourites

must have come in off one of the kids' sites. bloody annoying though, as it slows access and crashes my machine every few hours.

Does anyone know what it is?(Y)

RE: mysearchnow? by mwe99 on 05-12-2005 at 11:40 AM

Basically adware for removal :-

You need to get Hijack This to remove it :)

Or here: http://www.mysearchnow.com/help.html#uninstall

RE: mysearchnow? by Gillinghamfan on 05-12-2005 at 11:41 AM

should that sort the problem?

RE: mysearchnow? by mwe99 on 05-12-2005 at 11:48 AM

Should do - I don't have it so i can't test sorry.

RE: mysearchnow? by Gillinghamfan on 05-12-2005 at 12:07 PM

Didnt work mate...Any other ideas how to get rid of it?

RE: mysearchnow? by Caboose on 05-12-2005 at 04:51 PM

Maybe you should try Microsoft's Antispyware or Ad-Aware . Also, boot into safe mode and run the scans, then remove it (you're much more likely to get rid of it that way) :)

You also might want to consider installing SpywareBlaster, which stops spyware from installing in the first place.

RE: mysearchnow? by absorbation on 05-12-2005 at 04:54 PM

DO NOT UNINSTALL BY SCANNERS

Go to add remove programs and remove from there. Sometimes you may have to do it in safe mode. It's what cookies would suggest :P

RE: mysearchnow? by Concord Dawn on 05-12-2005 at 04:56 PM

Mysearchnow = lop.com. Please use this to uninstall it.

Note to all the members who suggested adware removal tools: These DO NOT work on Lop.com malware. It's common to assume that these programs are magic bullets, but they really aren't. Next time, please suggest to the member that is afflicted with one of these programs that he/she list the programs in his/her "Add/Remove Programs" list and post them. You can then take a look through and make sure that nothing is installed that shouldn't be. This is just a suggestion! follow it if you want, but please know that simply "nuking" it with adware removal tools will not help the problem. It can possibly, in a severe situation, damage the system to the point where a reinstall of Windows or a reformat is needed to get the system working properly.

RE: mysearchnow? by Gillinghamfan on 05-12-2005 at 06:18 PM

Chaotic_Shield link didnt work mate

RE: mysearchnow? by Penderrin on 05-12-2005 at 06:38 PM

i have taken it too.
no anti spyware can do anything, but you can go in your firewall and block these IP: 66.220.17.169 ; 66.220.17.211 ; 66.220.17.153 ( this works )

sorry for my english

RE: mysearchnow? by user27089 on 05-12-2005 at 06:55 PM

Gillinghamfan, you may have installed the Messenger Plus! Sponsor Program, simply go to add/remove programs and scroll down to "Messenger Plus! 3" and press "Change/Remove", then press "Install the sponsor only"...

restart your computer, and it should be gone...

RE: mysearchnow? by absorbation on 05-12-2005 at 07:02 PM

Or view the video guide in my sig :P

RE: mysearchnow? by TylerG on 05-13-2005 at 02:02 AM

I used to have it.  I used HiJack this and got rid of it.  But that was on my old computer a long time ago.

RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 05-14-2005 at 07:40 AM

Unfortunatly, you can remove lop software using Add/Remove software, but they are tricky, and it does not remove the tool bar, and its other effects.  Here is a very hady website that will tell you how to manualy remove this pest --> http://www.spy-bot.net/lop.asp <--. Also keep using Ad-aware, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, as they DO help in removal of these adwares and spywares. Goodluck

RE: mysearchnow? by Penderrin on 05-14-2005 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Penderrin
i have taken it too.
no anti spyware can do anything, but you can go in your firewall and block these IP: 66.220.17.169 ; 66.220.17.211 ; 66.220.17.153 ( this works )

this works
RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 05-14-2005 at 11:50 PM

Yes but jsut blocking the Ip address does not remove it from the computer, i've done that before, and it does not correct the problems caused by lop software.

RE: mysearchnow? by mwe99 on 05-14-2005 at 11:52 PM

yeah this is more a temp measure. Did you follow all the instructions for removal word for word?

Trying so many methods you may have corrupted the uninstaller by now.

RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 05-14-2005 at 11:53 PM

Yeah be a pain if that happens,

RE: mysearchnow? by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scott_259
Unfortunatly, you can remove lop software using Add/Remove software, but they are tricky, and it does not remove the tool bar, and its other effects.  Here is a very hady website that will tell you how to manualy remove this pest --> http://www.spy-bot.net/lop.asp <--. Also keep using Ad-aware, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, as they DO help in removal of these adwares and spywares. Goodluck

Chaotic_Shield was referring to the MsgPlus! sponser. It can NOT be removed using anti spyware programs. Simpily using the Lop Uninstaller or the MsgPlus uninstaller it will work fine unless iexplore is running or some of the files are in use.

RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 05-15-2005 at 12:06 AM

Well it was not stated that he was refering to the sponser.

RE: RE: mysearchnow? by Penderrin on 05-15-2005 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Yes but jsut blocking the Ip address does not remove it from the computer, i've done that before, and it does not correct the problems caused by lop software.

microsoft antispyware can find and remove lop.com
RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 05-16-2005 at 07:09 AM

Yes, as does, Ad-aware, SE 1.05

RE: mysearchnow? by Penderrin on 06-11-2005 at 05:35 PM

lop.com was installed with msn plus! sponsor, if you had used spybot or similar you compromized the uninstalling, so re-install msn plus! with the sponsor and uninstall the sponsor

RE: mysearchnow? by lizard.boy on 06-11-2005 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Mysearchnow = lop.com. Please use this to uninstall it.

:dodgy: avast antivirus wont let me download that file saying it is malware (other). i'm not sure if i trust lop.com at all :P.
RE: mysearchnow? by kasim on 06-11-2005 at 06:57 PM

quote:
i have taken it too.

sorry for my english

i have the same problem )mysearchnow/lop).its really irretating because the windows pop-up blocker doesn't seem to block the ''lop'' pop ups and my icons keep dissapearing and new ones appear and a lot of other annoying stuff :S...lol...and i have windows firewall...and that does not allow me to enter any IP's or addresses to block :S.....anyone know how to???....or is is better to get another firewall....if so then which firewalls are good and EASY to use???....because i'm not very good with computers

RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 06-11-2005 at 11:54 PM

Windows firewall, is not the best protection form the internet, I reccomend Norton Internet Security 2005, which is easy to use, and now has its own spyware removal tools in it, which is good, and may help you in your situation!

RE: mysearchnow? by Joa on 06-12-2005 at 12:03 AM

quote:
I reccomend Norton Internet Security 2005, which is easy to use, and now has its own spyware removal tools in it, which is good, and may help you in your situation!

it really uses up too much resource. i like zonealarm, it works good, and is free.

get it from here: http://www.zonelabs.com

here's the download link

as for spyware removal try adaware it's great. (also free)
RE: mysearchnow? by scott_259 on 06-12-2005 at 03:15 AM

Yes, but zonealarm lacks in certain areas of security, where Norton doesn't, but you pay for quality! And yes Adaware Personal Editon 1.05 is great!

RE: RE: mysearchnow? by Penderrin on 06-12-2005 at 06:58 AM

try this to remove it

quote:
lop.com was installed with msn plus! sponsor, if you had used spybot or similar you compromized the uninstalling, so re-install msn plus! with the sponsor and uninstall the sponsor

RE: RE: mysearchnow? by Penderrin on 06-12-2005 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kasim
quote:
i have taken it too.

sorry for my english

i have the same problem )mysearchnow/lop).its really irretating because the windows pop-up blocker doesn't seem to block the ''lop'' pop ups and my icons keep dissapearing and new ones appear and a lot of other annoying stuff :S...lol...and i have windows firewall...and that does not allow me to enter any IP's or addresses to block :S.....anyone know how to???....or is is better to get another firewall....if so then which firewalls are good and EASY to use???....because i'm not very good with computers

try sygate personal firewall: http://smb.sygate.com/download/download.php?pid=spf