Shoutbox

Friend can send sounds but can't hear them - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them (/showthread.php?tid=44613)

Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by kurtcobainuk on 05-12-2005 at 10:23 PM

I have a friend who can send sounds but can't hear them, he has msn 7.0 obviously, the latest Messenger Plus, media player 10, and everything as it should be in the Messenger Plus sound settings, can anyone help?

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by Shezi on 05-12-2005 at 10:31 PM

i msn contact list> plus> preferences> general options> sound. then make tick on automatically play custom sound when ready...?
if it doesnt fixes the problem then ask him if he could listen other sound from msn like bult-in sounds of hello, bye, trekkie, imperial march, evil laugh etc..

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by sena on 05-15-2005 at 01:34 AM

Do any sounds play on his computer?

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 02:19 AM

also answer this: what does your friend exactly see in his conversation when he sends a custom sound? (a screenshot from your friend would be excellent)

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by kurtcobainuk on 05-16-2005 at 07:56 PM

Music etc does play so it's not a problem with his speakers...he has everything selected that should be and sees the sounds he can send etc the built in and others but he can't hear them.

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by mwe99 on 05-16-2005 at 08:02 PM

Does he see the option to "hear this sound" next to the sound or is it "downloading" or just the sound name?

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by kurtcobainuk on 05-16-2005 at 08:25 PM

Well, mp3's play fine on his comp...but he can't get any sounds to play on the internet, i.e in flash cartoons, or msn....I asked him to check his audio settings and all is fine...what can he do???

I am stumped!

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by mwe99 on 05-16-2005 at 08:29 PM

Okay if he can't play any sounds in Internet Explorer, try this:

In IE, go to

Tools,

Options,

Advanced...

Scroll down to multimedia

check if play sounds in web pages is ticked.

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by Shezi on 05-16-2005 at 08:33 PM

ask him to set windows default sound scheme... to do so goto control panel> sound and audio devices> sounds and in sound scheme drop down menu select window default
does this fixed his problem .... if not then ask him that can he listen he sound of nudges and contact online alert sound..  ??

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by kurtcobainuk on 05-16-2005 at 08:45 PM

He can't hear the nudge sound no. lol surely there isnt much else he can try?

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by rav0 on 05-20-2005 at 06:40 AM

Ask your friend to double click the volume icon in the tray, and make sure that there is nothing muted (or very soft).

RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by Shezi on 05-20-2005 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Ask your friend to double click the volume icon in the tray, and make sure that there is nothing muted (or very soft).
i think he already mentioned that all the other sounds are playing ..
quote:
Originally posted by kurtcobainuk
Well, mp3's play fine on his comp...but he can't get any sounds to play on the internet, i.e in flash cartoons, or msn....I asked him to check his audio settings and all is fine...what can he do???

I am stumped!
then it could not be the problem with mute....
RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by CookieRevised on 05-20-2005 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kurtcobainuk
recheck his sound settings and especially his sound devices. It is well possible that in Windows his sounds device is set to a non working one, and that the program he is using for playing his mp3's set his own sound device (to a working one)....

(in xp: sound devices can be set in the 3rd tab named "Audio" in the sound properties window from the config screen)

RE: RE: Friend can send sounds but can't hear them by rav0 on 05-21-2005 at 06:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shezi
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
i think he already mentioned that all the other sounds are playing
There are multiple sound controls for sounds from different sources. This is also why some sounds are played over game sound, and others are not. Please see the attached screenshot.