Shoutbox

New Batteries can last up to 20 years - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Batteries can last up to 20 years (/showthread.php?tid=44645)

New Batteries can last up to 20 years by paperless on 05-13-2005 at 04:16 PM

Wow: thats what i said when i read it.

I have no words like, OMG..

Just see for yourself :|

quote:
Originally posted by Engadget.com

Startup set to unveil tritium-powered batteries

Posted May 13, 2005, 7:33 AM ET by Marc Perton
Related entries: Misc. Gadgets

[Konfabulator battery widget] (- > Thats where they took the image from :lol:)

A startup funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation is set to unveil a technology that could use atomic energy to power the batteries used in small electronic devices. The “BetaBatt,” as described in the May 13 issue of Advanced Materials, will use the hydrogen isotope tritium to create batteries that can last up to 20 years and be used in everything from spacecraft to mesh networks. Unlike previous attempts at atomic batteries, the BetaBatt is said to be small and efficient enough to be used as a practical power source for regular use. According to the developer, BetaBatt Inc., tritium was chosen because of its minimal shielding requirements, and no radiation can leak from the battery’s hermetically sealed case (isn’t that what they said about Chernobyl?). No indication yet of whether this will ever be approved for use in consumer devices, so if you’re a thrill-seeker willing to risk it all, you may have to content yourself for now with third-party cellphone batteries.

[Thanks, Roland]

:drool:
RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by Chris4 on 05-13-2005 at 04:35 PM

Nice. Have you got a link or any pictures?

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by paperless on 05-13-2005 at 04:37 PM

I dont ave any pictures but you can see the site where i took it from.. www.engadget.com

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by Rik on 05-13-2005 at 04:48 PM

i don't think that they will really aprove that
it will ruin the normal Batteries market or will be really expensive:undecided:

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by Concord Dawn on 05-13-2005 at 04:51 PM

Imagine a laptop that lasts for 20 years without charging :drool:

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by paperless on 05-13-2005 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cool Rik
it will ruin the normal Batteries market or will be really expensive

Whata hell?
Ruin the normal batteries market!?
Off coruse it will thats what development is for, to develop better ways of making things.
And it will be expensive at the beginning.
RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by Jhrono on 05-13-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:

it will ruin the normal Batteries market or will be really expensive

What are you saying?that if they invent a new kind of bike, they can't put it on sell 'cause it would ruin the normal bikes market :S?
RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by haydos on 05-13-2005 at 05:26 PM

quote:
it will ruin the normal Batteries market or will be really expensive:undecided:

Didnt the DVD ruin the VCR market?

But I do agree with what your saying about price, especially if they are only being made by one company... no competition to push the prices down :undecided:
RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by paperless on 05-13-2005 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by inc_haydn
But I do agree with what your saying about price, especially if they are only being made by one company... no competition to push the prices down

If they dont push prices down no one buys it and thats all...

But im pretty sure if that gets aproved several companies wil lmake it.
RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by Pr0xY on 05-13-2005 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Imagine a laptop that lasts for 20 years without charging :drool:
:drool: X2

20 years is along time.  The company's would have to charge a shit load of money for them, since you would only need to buy them once every 20 years. 

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by crank on 05-13-2005 at 06:36 PM

O_O
did you ever had a Batterie explode?
cuz i had, it happend outside, it way laying close to a fire and suddenly popped with quite a blast, if that happens with one of those you would prolly need some time to find out where your house went to...

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by paperless on 05-13-2005 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by çr@nK
O_O
did you ever had a Batterie explode?
cuz i had, it happend outside, it way laying close to a fire and suddenly popped with quite a blast, if that happens with one of those you would prolly need some time to find out where your house went to...

:lol:

The most energy you put in a small place what you are making is a bomb..
The only difference is that a battery isnt supposed to explode.

But with the next years all the energy our devices will use will raise incrediibly so its kinda porportional.
RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by DJeX on 05-13-2005 at 09:46 PM

Oh thats great, some moron will probably take like 1000 and smash them to make a nice radioactive paste. Then they will use it in bombs and such or hurt people.

RE: New Batteries can last up to 20 years by ShawnZ on 05-13-2005 at 10:06 PM

Um, or they could just solder a bunch of negative ends together and plug the first and last positive ends into a wall socket, make a nice explosion there :rofl: