Shoutbox

4th Dimension - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: 4th Dimension (/showthread.php?tid=44663)

4th Dimension by DJeX on 05-14-2005 at 01:47 AM

Do you think time is actually the 4th dimension or is it really a real 4D world? I can't see how time (something man has made up to keep track of the days) can be a dimension. There isn’t any physical property to time. And if time was the 4th dimension then would we say we could see 4D too?

Check this site out on if 4D was a real dimension not time.
http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/

I find this really interesting stuff… I just like picturing it in my head of what it would look like. :P

What your opinions on this?

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-14-2005 at 01:56 AM

i think its really intersesting on how things like this COULD be real...i believe it but im not so sure it truly is real...like it just boggles your mind on the things you could think of and i totally think anything is possible...like look at computers and stuff look how advanced htings are...they may not seem that advanced because were used to them but it really is marvelous and i thik this could be true we just havent FULLY discovered it yet

RE: 4th Dimension by robochief on 05-14-2005 at 02:13 AM

It's hard to explain, but I'll try to in few words:
Imagine first of all 1D, 2D and 3D.
Try to picture a figure of 2D intersecting the world of 1D. Draw it on a paper, a square (2D) trying to intersect the world of a line (1D). From the view of point of the line, as it's in a world of only one dimension, it would only appear (the square) as a line, but moving. The square's shapes never changes, but as it intersects the line's dimension, the line itself sees the square as a movement in one dimension.

Now, picture for yourself a 3D object intersecting with the world of 2 dimensions. Imagine how a square would see that object from his own point of view (2D). It would always see it, but in two dimensions of course, and MOVING.

Now, the point of view of a square, watching a line in 1D, is seeing it ALL. The square, from its 2D world, can see all the content of the one dimension world. The same goes for the 3D seeing the 2D world.

The 4th dimension is the same, it can see all the content of the 3D world, in other words, everything means all the moments of the 3D universe, which means, past, present, and future.

It is really hard to explain this with just words, but this introduction MAY, in some way, make you visualize the concept of 4D.

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-14-2005 at 02:27 AM

so i take it you believe in it also:P...do you strongly think that there is a 4D?

RE: 4th Dimension by robochief on 05-14-2005 at 03:07 AM

Unexplored, but definatly. And also, I believe in time travelling. Let's say it's sci-fi: it doesn't exist in the present, but may be discovered in the future.

RE: 4th Dimension by buzz on 05-14-2005 at 04:17 AM

We will all find out exactally what the fouth dimention is in around 2016....look it up. In my mind and many other peoples minds the fouth dimension is alot like the dream world, we will be able to fly thoughts come true....alot of the stuff in the matrix, i kno that sounds kind stupid but its true.

RE: 4th Dimension by DJeX on 05-14-2005 at 04:46 AM

It is true, in 4D it is said you will be able to walk "around" rivers so you wont need bridges.

Heres maybe a better example of what robochief was explaining. This was taken from the site in my first post:

quote:
Step 1 - Zeroth Dimension. Imagine a point in space. It is a 0-hypercube. A point is zero dimensional because it has no width, length, or height, and is infinitely small. Every point is exactly the same and has the same measurements, because it has no dimension. Below is a picture of a point, representing the zeroth dimension.

[Image: intro-0d.png]

Step 2 - First Dimension. Take the zero-dimensional point and extrude it in any direction, creating a line segment, which is a 1-hypercube. All line segments are one-dimensional because they differ in size by only one measurement, length. They all have the same width and height, which is infinitely small. If you expanded the line infinitely, it would cover one-dimensional space.

[Image: intro-1d.png]

Step 3 - Second Dimension. Now take the line segment and extrude it in any direction that is perpendicular to the first direction, creating a square, which is a 2-hypercube. All squares are two dimensional because they differ with each other in size by two measurements, width and length. They all have the same height, which is infinitely small. All of the edges are the same length, and all of the angles are right angles. If you expanded the square infinitely, it would cover two-dimensional space.

[Image: intro-2d.png]

Step 4 - Third Dimension. Take the non-infinite square and extrude it in a third direction, perpendicular to both of the first two directions, creating a cube, which is a 3-hypercube. All cubes are three dimensional because they differ with each other in size by all of the three measurements that we know of - width, length, and height. Just like the square, all of the edges within a single cube are the same length, and all of the angles are right angles. If you expanded the cube infinitely in all directions, it would cover three-dimensional space.

[Image: intro-3d.png]

Step 5 - Fourth Dimension. Now, the final step. Take the non-infinite cube and extrude it in yet another direction perpendicular to the first three. But how can we do this? It is impossible to do within the restrictions of the third dimension (which will I refer to as realmspace in this webpage). However, within the fourth dimension (which I call tetraspace), it is possible. The shape that results from this extrusion of a cube into tetraspace is called a tesseract, which is a 4-hypercube. All tesseracts differ from other tesseracts in size by four measurements (equal to each other within a single tesseract) - width, length, height, and a fourth measurement, which I call trength. Looking back to the previous n-dimensional cubes, they all have the same trength, which is infinitely small. Just like the cube and square, all of the edges within a single tesseract are the same length, and all of the angles are right angles. If you expanded the tesseract infinitely, it would cover four-dimensional space.

There are several ways to view the tesseract, and I will show three of them here. The first one is called an inner projection, and it is formed from a projecting the tesseract into realmspace with a perspective projection. The parts of the original tesseract that are farther away appear smaller in the inner projection. The original cube cell that existed before the extrusion into a tesseract is in gray, the paths of the vertices are in teal, and the stopping point of the extruded cube cell is in blue. The real tesseract isn't shaped like the inner projection shown below - the inner projection is a very distorted "image" of the original tesseract. All of the edges you see in the image are actually the same length as each other, and all angles between edges are right angles.

[Image: intro-4d-a.png]
OR

[Image: intro-4d-b.png]

[Image: ycdhv]
4D Shape ^ in the 3D world
RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-14-2005 at 04:55 AM

its just amazing....and once you start thinking about it its hard to stop because theres so many possibilities

RE: 4th Dimension by Joe on 05-14-2005 at 04:59 AM

Makes my head ache... seriously... something that also makes my head hurt if  thinking about what there is besides life and death... like, we're here... but if we were not here... we wouldn't know, because we wouldn't exist.. so ... it's really confusing and once i start to get really deep into thought about it... i feel pain... like something is blocking me from thinking about non-existance...or something

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-14-2005 at 05:00 AM

:O...wow...i just said that in the other thread:P

RE: 4th Dimension by John Anderton on 05-14-2005 at 05:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX

Do you think time is actually the 4th dimension or is it really a real 4D world? I can't see how time (something man has made up to keep track of the days) can be a dimension. There isn’t any physical property to time. And if time was the 4th dimension then would we say we could see 4D too?

Check this site out on if 4D was a real dimension not time.
http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/

I find this really interesting stuff… I just like picturing it in my head of what it would look like.

What your opinions on this?

Err .... there is a 4th dimension for sure ... humans live a 3d world but there are 6 dimensions ...
4th dimensions = Time
* John Anderton suspects the forum "time" comming ;) :D
Seriously time is the 4th dimension :D
mabbe another civilization mabbe able to travel ... well live in these 4 dimesions but afaik there are 6 dimensions ... the 5th and the 6th are einsteins something ...
I made a thread about this a few months back and anubis had answered .... ill try finding the link :)
RE: 4th Dimension by DJeX on 05-14-2005 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
Makes my head ache... seriously... something that also makes my head hurt if  thinking about what there is besides life and death... like, we're here... but if we were not here... we wouldn't know, because we wouldn't exist.. so ... it's really confusing and once i start to get really deep into thought about it... i feel pain... like something is blocking me from thinking about non-existance...or something

You feel pain? Maybe thats because you will never non-exist. We will always exist either on earth or in our spirt form. Once we die our spirtual enegery leaves our bodys. With this time that we are in spirt form we have time to think about the material world and plan our life to come. Some people say that we recarnate back down to earth (material world) to live another life which we have planed out in our spirt form beforehand.

It's all very interesting. Reading through this all and talking about it is wareing me down also. I am a strong believer in God and our Lord Jesus and now that I've spent some time reading and talking about this I don't feel right for some reason. Talking about this in such detail, it feels odd. I feel like I'm being pulled tward a false light dimmed with a grey cloud which is trying to take me over in some way.

Maybe where not supost to know about this? When the time is right we will know. Alls I can say is it will happen one day. But when, no one knows only God does.

Geee I must sound crazy.... :P

* DJeX Drives to the loonie bin :P
RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-14-2005 at 05:50 AM

if you get deeply into details about all of this maybe its making you realize that there is no god?:P...so its scaring yuou??:P...i unno:P

RE: 4th Dimension by DJeX on 05-14-2005 at 05:54 AM

What do you believe dylan? I will always believe in the Lord I think it just disturbs me when I read about how scientists think they can explain Heaven and Hell and they mix it all up with Quantim energy and crap.

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-14-2005 at 06:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
What do you believe dylan?
well its hard to say...theres proof on one side saying there is no god...then theres proof  on the otehr side  about scientists finding jesus's little burreal box thing but there is no solid proof of him existing and there is no solid proof about him not existing so im gonna say neither because i dotn want to take sides...but i definately believe in the 6 dimensions and i totally agree that when we find out well find-out.
RE: 4th Dimension by DJeX on 05-14-2005 at 06:05 AM

:) One day you shall know.

Any who I'm off to bed, quite tired. Don't distroy the thread while I'm gone :P j/k

RE: 4th Dimension by Anubis on 05-14-2005 at 07:37 AM

Man may have invented the concept of measuring time, but cause would always lead to event, which is what time is all about.
According to string theory there are as many as 10 dimensions :p

RE: 4th Dimension by emit on 05-15-2005 at 01:44 AM

Yes, I am the 4th dimension.
kthx.

Okay, seriously... there is an easier way to explain 4 dimensions. Simply envision what happens when you move a 3 dimensional cube at a right angle to the x,y and z axes. Confusing, eh?

Think about the images you see of Hypercubes, Moebius strips, Klein bottles, Steiner's Roman surface... etc. The issue with humans is that since we ourselves are three dimensional and we exist in a 3 dimensional world we cannt actually visualise a fourth dimensino, it's beyond our capabilities. So, you might say "we can physically experience time" - however, can you? If you knew for certain that time was the fourth dimension you would be able to point and say "look, time is that way". What we can actually do is experience the effect(s) of time.

Let us assume that time is the 4th dimension, since we are confined to a lesser dimension, we cannot feel or see anything more than a projection of time. It is essentially equivalent to "flat land" falling through the 3rd dimension. Our understanding of time is limited at best and outright pathetic at worst.

The only way to construct such higher dimensions is via very complicated mathematical crap. Good luck in understanding any of it.

God and this stuff is a whole other discussion by the way. ;)

M.

RE: 4th Dimension by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 02:08 AM

just to add something...

Don't think of dimensions as something you can only "see as an object". (this error is common because we can all "see" and imagine 1D, 2D and 3D objects). But a dimension is something you can identify, determine, ascertain or even experience if you like (seeing is only one of those things).

If you ask "What is 4D?" you also need to define your exact definition of "dimension". Otherwise, there is no way to exactly explain it. Most people (and thus indeed everybody in this thread) automatically assume you're talking about objects/spaces, but this isn't nessecairly the case.

For example, the experience in the form of feeling (things you feel on your skin etc.) is also a 4th dimension if you're talking about visual experiences. The most common and easiest example of this is the 3D movie experience where also real water, wind, etc is used to enhance the "movie experience". Another example is the "feeling" experience in virtual reality (think about industrial flight sims, robots which send back electric pulses so you feel the object the robot is touching, etc...)

Is time the 4th dimension? Again a question which can only be asked in the right context.

Because an object can, in theory, exist in the 4th dimension without any influence on time what-so-ever (as some examples in this thread showed); it can exist out of 4 dimensional planes; or also commonly used: it has planes in tethraspace. Most papers about the 4th dimension, and what almost all the replies in this thread are about, are about spatial dimensions. "Spatial" is the important part here... This (4th) dimension has nothing todo with time...

Time (the member ;)) was talking about "time" (the word ;)), this is NOT a strict spatial dimension. So if you were only talking about spatial dimensions, then no, time is not the 4th dimension.

RE: 4th Dimension by emit on 05-15-2005 at 02:26 AM

the other thing that isn't very specifically defined is the word "time" itself. interesting point to throw in there.

RE: 4th Dimension by DJeX on 05-15-2005 at 03:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
the other thing that isn't very specifically defined is the word "time" itself. interesting point to throw in there.

True. Heres what Dictionary.com says about time:

Time - A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.

This is all true. But there are way too many definitions for time. Time is really everything and nothing together. It's everything by the way the universe flows in a ageing pattern but it's also nothing since we can not see it in physical form or capture it.
RE: 4th Dimension by SikStyles on 05-15-2005 at 04:20 AM

well ppl...welcome to the matrix! woohooo .. so u guys took red pill huh? guess wot i took it too :D

well i believe there is 4th dimension but just not visible to man..i believe there are many dimensons

define dimension
Dimension
# A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.
# Extent or magnitude; scope. Often used in the plural: a problem of alarming dimensions.
# Aspect; element: “He's a good newsman, and he has that extra dimension” (William S. Paley).
# Mathematics.

1. The least number of independent coordinates required to specify uniquely the points in a space.
   2. The range of such a coordinate.

# Physics. A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time

(i swiped the definition from dictionry.com :wink: )

well anyways as cookie said dimension is not always visible or phyisical .. and if u want it as visible and physicial then i think its not doable

there is no way ur going to see 4 sides of a cube at the same time..there is always one side that is left in the darkness..which means 4th dimension is left in darkness for us -- the people

my thought :happy:

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-17-2005 at 02:49 AM

ist a very good thought:P...i agree

RE: 4th Dimension by Maniac on 05-17-2005 at 02:52 AM

There are some comments i don't agree with, time isn't something man invented. We only invented hours/seconds etc to REPRESENT time.

Time actually exists as we can see in Einstein's theories of relativity the Big Bang, etc...

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-17-2005 at 02:56 AM

yes...but if there was no horus or seconds nobody would know what time is and it wouldnt really be invented so these ARE like time...there is like no such thing as time we just invented seconds and mesured them and stuff and what would time be without these?

RE: 4th Dimension by Maniac on 05-17-2005 at 03:00 AM

it would be a notion... just like "distance" would be without meters... just because you don't call a cat "cat" doesn't mean he doesnt exist ;)

RE: 4th Dimension by dylan! on 05-17-2005 at 03:08 AM

yeah...butstill...its confusing:P...time is nothing....time is just a mesurement...time is a mesurment that man made...miliseconds...seconds...minutes...hours...days...months...years...decades and so on...man invented them and without them there would be NO time because thats what time is...

RE: 4th Dimension by Purity on 05-17-2005 at 03:11 AM

So You're saying that if man never invented seconds and minutes and such, that nothing would be in motion, cause that's what time is....

RE: 4th Dimension by Maniac on 05-17-2005 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~!dylan!~
yeah...butstill...its confusing:P...time is nothing....time is just a mesurement...time is a mesurment that man made...miliseconds...seconds...minutes...hours...days...months...years...decades and so on...man invented them and without them there would be NO time because thats what time is...

I'm saying that's not true!

I thought the same way til i started studying some advanced physics where it becomes clear that time is an actual dimension. Take a spaceship and fly REALLY fast you will "travel" slower in time.... once you get back on earth you could have been flying for a day while everyone on earth lived for a millenia... it's theoretically possible... Also, there are evidence that when the big bang happens (whatever caused it, lets not turn this into what created the world...) an infinite number of things got created at the same time meaning time was created only after the big bang... try googling around you might find stuff about this...

* Maniac puts down physics book

(i have my physics exam in 2 days :( )