Shoutbox

Recent Files - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Recent Files (/showthread.php?tid=44741)

Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-15-2005 at 10:09 AM

Hey.

I just had an idea, after trying ot send a file to one of my friends, whom went offline once it sent, and then when he came back on, went off again. I hate having to click Send Files.. and then scrolling and searcing through the list again to find the file again. So what i was thinking is this. A 'Recently Sent Files' option next to nudges or just a plugin that will show you the last five/ten sent files, and you can click them to send again.. Therefore stopping the tedious job of scrolling through your folders for the same file again.

Made a little mock up picture below.

[Image: recentfilesunclick.jpg]
[Image: recentfilesclick.jpg]

What you think? :)

RE: Recent Files by user27089 on 05-15-2005 at 10:14 AM

That's actually a really nice idea, I'd love that to be incorporated, it's actually really nice.

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-15-2005 at 10:28 AM

* Dempsey looks into it to try and add it to Extra Tools

RE: Recent Files by user27089 on 05-15-2005 at 10:31 AM

Why don't you incorporate "Recently Received Files" aswell...

and have "send this file to this person"

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-15-2005 at 10:35 AM

Glad you find it useful... If i knew how to code, or anything i would stick this in myself... but unfortuantly i dont. :(

Ive managed to incorporate this into msn... only the button not the menu as of yet. I am not a coder, and i never have coded in my life. But ive managed to get the button 'Recent Files' with the image to appear. Im trying to figure out how to do the menu?

EDIT: Ive just thought about this in the shower. Its going to be more complex than what i first realised. The recieved files that are sent must be recorded somewhere, with the file name, and time sent, and location. Then the addon can extract that data fr4om a file in which it is stored... im still puzzled. If any coder out there wants to add me to msn so we can talk about this, then please do.

RE: Recent Files by linx05 on 05-15-2005 at 01:36 PM

I think that would be one of my most used plugins. If it was made of course. I would really like it if someone could make this!

RE: Recent Files by CookieRevised on 05-15-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Why don't you incorporate "Recently Received Files" aswell...
yep, although these files can easly be found if you sort your filelist on "last changed" (or something like that; don't have english OS)

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-15-2005 at 02:50 PM

Ok, i think im a gunna let someone do this, as they probably knwo alot about coding... i just thought the idea would be helpful, and useful.

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-15-2005 at 02:54 PM

I'm working on coding this at the moment, but for now I'm just working on the intercepting file transfer part, then I'll work on adding the button and menu after

RE: Recent Files by ShawnZ on 05-15-2005 at 02:56 PM

If your using reshacking to make the button, the menu (i think) won't be possible. But it may be as a plus plugin where it hooks into MSN Messenger's memory and makes the button 'temporarly'.

There would be some limitations, but im sure it would be very possible.

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-15-2005 at 02:58 PM

Dempsey, are you coding this for a seperat eplugin for Plus!? or are you making it into your own application? As i think it would be useful for people who want to install the plugin as is, and not with extra things.. ? Id be greatful for anyone who takes up this task and releases the plugin.

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-15-2005 at 03:00 PM

atm im working on it in a Plus! plugin

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-15-2005 at 03:03 PM

Absolutely excellent! :D If you need any help (with images/ideas/suggestions etc) dont hesitate to contact me :)

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-15-2005 at 05:52 PM

give me a chance :P

i got the plugin detecting the files that have been sent and now im working on adding the button.

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-16-2005 at 05:53 AM

Hope im not bugging Dempsey! Any news so far? Wondering how far you've got with this, im excited :D I knwo i should stop asking but its the first plgin idea ive come up with where people find it interesting and have started to code it :P

RE: Recent Files by Purity on 05-16-2005 at 06:06 AM

I think this should be in plus.

RE: Recent Files by Damian_Longree on 05-16-2005 at 05:46 PM

bloody great idea! - Save so much time!

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-16-2005 at 09:44 PM

Well this is becoming a bit more complicated than I first thought it would be but I'm getting there.

I've now just finished the code which detects the positions of the Winks/Emos/Font/Nudges buttons etc so it can decided where to put the button.

The way I've coded it hopefully it shouldn't matter if you're using a skin or if you've patched Messenger and removed some of the buttons.  We'll have to wait and see. 

The next stage is adding the button and showing the popup, but i may not be able to work on this for a few days now, as I kinda should so some college work as I havent done any the past two days, I've been working on stuff like this instead.

Sean Pirie  -  do you still have the original image you made you mock up from, cos i like the button you made and would like to use that image if you have a transparent version of that little file icon?

RE: Recent Files by Zephyr on 05-16-2005 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
Sean Pirie  -  do you still have the original image you made you mock up from, cos i like the button you made and would like to use that image if you have a transparent version of that little file icon?

Isn't that in the first post?
RE: RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-16-2005 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey

Isn't that in the first post?

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-16-2005 at 10:51 PM

Sure give me a second.

EDIT: Attached. :) Good work so far!

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-16-2005 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Pirie
Good work so far!
Cheers :)  Ive now added the button, but Im done for tonight.

I'll try and continue working on it as soon as i get some free time
RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-16-2005 at 11:03 PM

Excellent work, dont tire yourself over it :) Got any screenshots or prviews you can show us all so far? :P

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-16-2005 at 11:10 PM

Here's the button added to the convo.  And obviously it won't look like that when I'm finished, i was just using a red square as a test button.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=462560]

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-17-2005 at 06:12 PM

Excellent work! :D Glad its coming along matey. Cant wait to see the results. Take a break remember, dont wear yourself down with this, im greatful for you taking the idea on anyway. Is the menu 'coded'? or thought out? wondering if it does indeed need to have been cached what files youve sent in order for the plugin to detect them?

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-17-2005 at 06:17 PM

ive now insert the button adding code into the plugin with the file ctaching code.  Bu ti think thats it for today, I better go do some college work now :P

RE: Recent Files by super-schaf on 05-17-2005 at 06:28 PM

that would be sooooooo coooooooooool!!!!! ;-)

thanks dempsey!

RE: Recent Files by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-17-2005 at 08:13 PM

Great plugin Dempsey, I'm gonna use this plugin when it comes out. Go have a break, and do some college work ;)

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-18-2005 at 03:28 PM

Well here progress so far.  And i know in this screenie the button is too high, it does that sometimes but I'm working on fixing that.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=463477]

I know the button and window both look horrible atm, but thats not important for now, first I'll make it work then I'll worry about how it looks.

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-18-2005 at 03:32 PM

Absolutely EXCELLENT Progress matey! Looks brilliant so far! You've worked well and definstley deserve time off! Looks good, cant wait to see the next update :)

RE: Recent Files by GroteSmurf on 05-18-2005 at 03:51 PM

Very nice! (Y)

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-18-2005 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Pirie
Absolutely EXCELLENT Progress matey! Looks brilliant so far! You've worked well and definstley deserve time off! Looks good, cant wait to see the next update :)

Cheers :D

It only detects files sent by dragging them onto the conversation at the moment.  I've still got to look into hooking the Fle selection dialog for when you choose Send File.
RE: Recent Files by super-schaf on 05-19-2005 at 10:12 AM

when will it be finisht?

PS:keep up the good work!!! ;-)

RE: RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-19-2005 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by super-schaf
when will it be finisht?

PS:keep up the good work!!! ;-)

i don't know yet, it depends how long it takes me to get the file dialog hooking sorted.  But I may release a preview version soon.
RE: Recent Files by super-schaf on 05-20-2005 at 06:19 PM

cool!
i cant wate!!!;-)

EDIT:well when can we see it?

RE: Recent Files by Sean Pirie on 05-23-2005 at 10:24 AM

Hey Dempsey. Hows the plugin coming along? Any further than last time or are you busy with college work? :) :P

RE: Recent Files by Dempsey on 05-23-2005 at 10:52 AM

umm i dont think ive got any further since the last screenshot really, I've been busy with other stuff. 

I think the plugin generally works now, i just gotta sort some things like:

[*]Support files sent using 'Send Files' button.
[*]Redraw the button when the window is resized.
[*]Move the button when the input area is resized.
[*]Make it looks nicer.
[*]Make it either draw it quicker so it doesn't cause a pause when a convo opens or is resized or wait and only draw it a few seconds after its opened or something

I may get some time to work on it next week

RE: Recent Files by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-25-2005 at 11:42 PM

Sorry for asking again, but if you have this ready, when will you release it?

RE: Recent Files by Dane on 06-01-2005 at 01:41 AM

Great Job Dempsey, I installed and took a look, ill wait till the UI is improved a bit though otherwise I might throw up at your basic UI, but its a great idea and an excellent job of coding.

RE: Recent Files by jren207 on 06-01-2005 at 02:03 AM

Looks brilliant, it's a good idea and I can't wait to be able to use it (y)