Shoutbox

Lotsa problems with MSN 7 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 (/showthread.php?tid=44834)

Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 10:13 AM

I am normally pretty good with standard computer problems but I am just lost now.

I installed MSN 7 some time ago and have the following problems:

* Double clicking the icon doesn't open it.

* Right clicking and then selecting to open MSN doesn't work.

* To sign in I have to right click then pick sign in.

* Once signed in I still can't open it and if anyone tries to talk to me all I get is a black outline of the box and I can see whatever is behind it (usually the desktop).

I have uninstalled and installed several times with no change and have no problems in the past.  Please help if you can but not too much jargon.

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by user13774 on 05-17-2005 at 11:00 AM

Some more info please:

- MSN 7 version
- Windows version
- any other addons/patches/anything for msn?

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 11:13 AM

Whatever the MSN is for download at the site
Windows XP
Nothing else added that I can think of, I just download the latest when I get told to

I just checked to be sure, its 7.0.  I also posted this when it first happened at a forum I goto and everyone else has had no problems.

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by RaceProUK on 05-17-2005 at 01:44 PM

Does this happen every time you start Messenger, or just after a certain length of time?

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by mwe99 on 05-17-2005 at 03:32 PM

Are you running any other plug ins/patches on your MSN?

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Nathan on 05-17-2005 at 03:42 PM

have u added on a skin for msn cos i added on a skin and it did the same thing as you???

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 09:21 PM

I haven't added ANYTHING.  I had MSN 6-blah or whatever (I can't even remember now) and got 7 when a friend got the notice to get it.  This happens all the time.  It doesn't matter if I have just just got on the computer or later - I haven't got it to work at all.

I just don't get why it's not working for me when 20 other people I know have done the same and it's fine.

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by mwe99 on 05-17-2005 at 09:28 PM

Okay try this. Go to

Main MSN Window
About
MSN MEssenger

Copy in your version number, there was a silent MSN update.

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by matty on 05-17-2005 at 09:37 PM

Do you by any chance have either Spleak or Smiley Central installed. Either of this have been known to cause problems.

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-17-2005 at 09:53 PM

I have a problem with MSN too, but this is different, everytime on MSN messenger when i want to minimize the contact list window, it doesn't minimize, it stays like that... any ideas of why this happens?

I am using:
MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 (Mess patch installed) (No Skins)
Windows XP Professional SP2
Luna Element 2.51 Theme

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Okay try this. Go to

Main MSN Window
About
MSN MEssenger

Copy in your version number, there was a silent MSN update.

If you are talking about the window that has your contacts, etc, in it I can't - I have no way of opening it.

Because of the problems I had I opted to download it manually and I still have the unpacked program.  When you get it to install it just says MSN 7.0.  I did re-download it a couple of weeks ago and it's the same program.

I just had a look in my MSN folder and there was a MsgPlus-221 install icon there.  Double clicked and the file is corrupt.
RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-17-2005 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyriel

I just had a look in my MSN folder and there was a MsgPlus-221 install icon there.  Double clicked and the file is corrupt.

Well.. you should download the newest version of Plus! which is 3.52 and the link of the download is in my sig.
RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by mwe99 on 05-17-2005 at 10:19 PM

Did your msn 6.2 have any problems like this?

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 10:26 PM

No, I haven't had a single problem with any msn before and im actually dl'ing the new msgplus now, beat you to it  :P

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 10:41 PM

IT WORKS! IT F$@#ING WORKS!

I thought that it was that file - that is bloody weird because I dl'd it twice (the manual installation file that is, 4 times all up including 2 auto dl's) AND I know others that got it from ninemsn too.

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-17-2005 at 10:43 PM

ok, so it was because of the old version of messenger plus! ? or w hat

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by blackjack on 05-17-2005 at 10:44 PM

Go to your MSN Messenger folder and check if there is something strange.. (Old backups etc.) Probably you patched your old MSN (6.2) and it is causing troubles with the new MSN.. ^o) delete it (If you have it) Or just try repair MSN instead of just reinstalling it.. Maybe that should work..

Edit: Ok you already solve it :P (y)

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Pyriel on 05-17-2005 at 10:48 PM

I don't have 6.2 on the computer at all so it wasn't that.  For some reason every time I dl'd msn7 the file must have come through corrupt.  The version of plus that I had came with the msn file as far as I know (I deleted all msn stuff off my computer in an attempt to reinstall from scratch and it was in the folder that the new vers. created).

RE: Lotsa problems with MSN 7 by Lt.Col.DraGon on 05-17-2005 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
I have a problem with MSN too, but this is different, everytime on MSN messenger when i want to minimize the contact list window, it doesn't minimize, it stays like that... any ideas of why this happens?

I am using:
MSN Messenger 7.0.0813 (Mess patch installed) (No Skins)
Windows XP Professional SP2
Luna Element 2.51 Theme

Can you guys help me with that now?